Championship Managers silly season: Ince appointed as Blackpool boss

TrentVilla

Im not sure reaction be the same if we got e.g. Tony Pulis or Big Sam. I could imagine anger but not many people marching down to the gates of Villa Park and protesting like they did when Eck took over

Just to go back to this, you're right the reaction wouldn't be the same if we appointed them.

BUt that's not because they didn't manage Blues, it's because they have a decent reputation.

They both play awful football, but Pulis has turned Stoke from a championship team into a solid, established Premier League team and Big Sam has a reputation for being a decent yet unattractive manager.

Now if we appointed Gary Megson or Tony Mowbray, which are much more valid comparisons given their records, then I would expect the reaction to be very much the same as it was with mcLeish.

• Like 1

Tony Mowbray actually tried to play decent football at WBA. they just had no steel or defensive solidity. If anything his time at WBA is very similar to Lambo at VIlla for football ideals

Doesn't change the fact that Mowbray's team was awful. "good" football isn't good when you're finishing bottoms of the table.

Point is, Alex McLeish had proved that he was not up to managing a premier league team. THAT is what most villa fans were upset about. Of course there was a little animosity at him coming from SHA, but that's not why he got the majority of the reaction he did.

He got it because he's awful, we knew he'd be awful and he was awful.

Again, my point is if you appointed someone with a similar record with no connection to managing SHA (megson is a good example) then I would expect the reaction to be similar, especially considering at the time we were at a lot higher station than we are now.

So I make that 6 games for Saunders in charge at Wolves and he is still looking for his first win, it will end in tears.

Wolves in League 1 would be shocking.

For me, they are the 3rd biggest club outside the PL, after Leeds United and Forest.

sheffield united, sheffield wednesday & blackburn are bigger id say.

Impossible to quantify.   Wolves were (arguably) the biggest club and best team in the world in the 1950s. If the European Cup had been implemented five years earlier than it was we might have seen years of Wolves dominance instead of Real Madrid and everything would be different. I don't think you can say that of any of the other clubs. 

Edited by The_Rev

I don't think that is a good measuring stick to be honest Zatman, they had a short period of having players on their books way beyond a level they could or should have ever imagined possible simply because of a wealthy owner willing to pay quite staggering wages (Ravanelli even had his household bills paid by the club).

It is similar to Blackburn having Shearer and co but that era and the players in it is hardly representative of their history or their respective size as clubs in the grand scheme of things.

I don't care for the 'big' club debate. History means nowt in football save for making a nice tour of the stadium, or for fans to reminisce about. It has little to no importance on the clubs current position. Wolves may have a history but they are, currently, shit at playing football and thus deserve to be where they are. If we go down it will be because we too are shit at playing football and our history won't change a thing about it.

If you must debate who is 'bigger' then how much money a club makes is a fairer barometer in the modern game. Then it isn't a case of who is 'bigger', but who is more successful. Leave cock comparing to the daft.

So I make that 6 games for Saunders in charge at Wolves and he is still looking for his first win, it will end in tears.

Wolves in League 1 would be shocking.

For me, they are the 3rd biggest club outside the PL, after Leeds United and Forest.

sheffield united, sheffield wednesday & blackburn are bigger id say.

Sheffield Wednesday maybe.

Blackburn? Wolves dwarf them in terms of history and fanbase. Blackburn have done sweet FA except for winning the league 20 years ago.

Â