Championship Managers silly season: Ince appointed as Blackpool boss

TrentVilla

I was in Leeds yesterday visiting family and watching their version of Midlands Today ("Look North") was interesting to hear the speculation about the Leeds job.  They mentioned four names, Martin O'Neill seemed to be the one they actually wanted because he is a big name, but Brian McDermott was getting heavily linked too. The more speculative suggestions were Gus Poyet (I think he has a bigger move than Leeds in him) and oddly, Paul Lambert if he gets sacked by us. Can't see either of the last two happening but local news from elsewhere always makes for odd viewing. And it must be depressing for an area with the size and population of Yorkshire not to have a Premier League team. 

wouldnt O'Neill not be quite unpopular as he likes to compare himself to CLough

In the list of reasons to hate a new manager, that would be pretty pathetic even for those who are actually old enough to remember Clough's spell at Leeds (and we are talking about a group of people who the youngest ones would be well into their fifties) so I can't see it.    

I'm not sure O'Neill has ever compared himself to Clough either, he has said on multiple occasions that Clough was a huge influence on him, but then O'Neill was with Clough at Forest during their most successful ever period so it's quite understandable.  

I was in Leeds yesterday visiting family and watching their version of Midlands Today ("Look North") was interesting to hear the speculation about the Leeds job.  They mentioned four names, Martin O'Neill seemed to be the one they actually wanted because he is a big name, but Brian McDermott was getting heavily linked too. The more speculative suggestions were Gus Poyet (I think he has a bigger move than Leeds in him) and oddly, Paul Lambert if he gets sacked by us. Can't see either of the last two happening but local news from elsewhere always makes for odd viewing. And it must be depressing for an area with the size and population of Yorkshire not to have a Premier League team. 

Yep [1]. Every Monday, Look North's football roundup features the likes of Barnsley, Doncaster, Huddersfield, Rotherham, etc. It's quite comical.

[1] (Yorkshire Evening Post).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Â