The Randy Lerner thread

CI

I find this attitude so shocking, and i really hope you're in the minority when it comes to thinking this way.

You seem to be 100% behind him just because he owns the club and theres a chance someone worse would replace him. I mean that speaks volumes about how poor he has been and how low you're willing to drop your expectations simply because its Randy Lerner.

Would you again have no problem with him if we were relegated? After all its his club he can do what he wants right?

My expectations havent dropped because of Randy lerner. My expectations are based on the last 2 decades of watching football and supporting Villa. I expect nothing!!

Its not about having no problem with him. Ive said over and over, I havent agreed with everything he does. However, i see absolutely no point in being 99% behind him or 1% behind him.

Its very easy to come on here, spurting off about how bad of an owner he is. It means nothing really. Whether you like it or not, there is 1 person bigger than Aston Villa, and at the minute, thats Randy lerner. He makes the decisions about the club. Its as simple as that.

So whilst you may not agree with him at times, your still behind him. You go to games/watch the games/buy merchandise etc. Like the rest of us, you bang on about Villa like theres no tomorrow - Its new years day FFS, havent we got better things to do?

If your truly not behind him at all, then I don't know what your doing here? Why don't you start an AVFC boycott revolution (I won't be joining btw), and if you get enough people (which you won't) then maybe it will make the difference you claim to desire. Otherwise, itl be when randy Lerner chooses to leave - as after all - 'yes it his club'.

So you say we could end up with worse but surely that wouldn't matter to you as you're happy for the owner to do what they want simply because they own the club.

Im neither sad enough to care, nor powerful to do anything about it. Its football!

My main issue is that he learns from his mistakes, he has had ago at getting success and we are paying the penalty for it now, we tried to do it too quick but at the time it was the right thing and could of worked, we all know the next issues with other clubs so we all know why it failed,

He has stated the club must be self sustaining and he is keeping to it, to be honest we all want him too splash out and bring us success again but this is not going to happen, there are enough models around to show us that spending big does not always work - QPR West Ham, also we are not privy to all the rules and regs that may or not happen and for all we know he may be putting us in a good position,

The problem with being a fan is we do not know all the facts and can only speculate, these speculations get discussed and in some eyes become the answer, we must ask ourselves the question- does RL and PL want to fail, obviously not so we must put our faith in them to get it right as hard at it is at the moment, for all we know in 2 years time things may be alot different and we may be praising them for their actions.

Like DB9 none of us know the truth but are way to quick to lambast PL, He must have a good reason to do what he has as otherwise he would play him, he aint stupid.

We have to keep the faith and trust in the club, at least till the end of the season and see what happens when the wages have been reduced enough.

My main issue is that he learns from his mistakes, he has had ago at getting success and we are paying the penalty for it now, we tried to do it too quick but at the time it was the right thing and could of worked, we all know the next issues with other clubs so we all know why it failed,

He has stated the club must be self sustaining and he is keeping to it, to be honest we all want him too splash out and bring us success again but this is not going to happen, there are enough models around to show us that spending big does not always work - QPR West Ham, also we are not privy to all the rules and regs that may or not happen and for all we know he may be putting us in a good position,

The problem with being a fan is we do not know all the facts and can only speculate, these speculations get discussed and in some eyes become the answer, we must ask ourselves the question- does RL and PL want to fail, obviously not so we must put our faith in them to get it right as hard at it is at the moment, for all we know in 2 years time things may be alot different and we may be praising them for their actions.

Like DB9 none of us know the truth but are way to quick to lambast PL, He must have a good reason to do what he has as otherwise he would play him, he aint stupid.

We have to keep the faith and trust in the club, at least till the end of the season and see what happens when the wages have been reduced enough.

Good post

If your truly not behind him at all, then I don't know what your doing here? Why don't you start an AVFC boycott revolution (I won't be joining btw), and if you get enough people (which you won't) then maybe it will make the difference you claim to desire. Otherwise, itl be when randy Lerner chooses to leave - as after all - 'yes it his club'.

So I can't be unhappy with Lerner unless I'm prepared to start a boycott revelation? I assume you said the same to anyone who was unhappy with Mcleish and houllier?

So I can't be unhappy with Lerner unless I'm prepared to start a boycott revelation? I assume you said the same to anyone who was unhappy with Mcleish and houllier?

No, you can be unhappy. However, I dont believe you can show backing to the club without showing backing to Lerner.

Stole a point against Swansea.

Should have been all over in the first 20 minutes. Hit the post twice. Amazing 1 on 1 save from Guzan. Should have been 4-0 down at half time. Second half they had a possible penalty waved off.

Credit to Clark and Herd for steadying things after the dodgy opening.

Weimann and Benteke are the reason we got the draw as we had very little possession. We did not string a series of passes together once. The long ball up to the big man all game.

Both our strikers deserved their goals even if we stole a point.

This game shows we have the courage and firepower to get enough points to stay in the Premiership.

BTW Herd is incredible at CB... no, not first choice incredible but the guy is 5'8, playing centre back. He's not that stocky either. How does he do it? Jumps like a Kangeroo. It's like 5'9 Campo playing goalie for Mexico. You don't expect it. Fabio Cannovaro is the only other 5'8 CB I know.

Edited by Con

This game shows we have the courage and firepower to get enough points to stay in the Premiership.

The game showed that if the opposition fail to take the endless chances they create we can get a point.

I don't really see that as something to bring hope.

The game showed that if the opposition fail to take the endless chances they create we can get a point.

I don't really see that as something to bring hope.

On one hand we did seem to get some belief back today. However, as you say, the more concerning thing is that in our last 5 PL games we have had long periods of backs against the wall defending. Our midfield is probably the poorest in the Premier League, which is why we are often over-run. We also have a massively inexperienced defensive unit.

Come on Randy, protect your investment. We need a captain for the defence and one for the midfield area as well. Dig deep.

BTW Herd is incredible at CB... no, not first choice incredible but the guy is 5'8, playing centre back.

He has no right to be at CB. Not at first team, reserve or any other level. Keep him far, far away from CB.

Edited by Daniel

BTW Herd is incredible at CB... no, not first choice incredible but the guy is 5'8, playing centre back. He's not that stocky either. How does he do it? Jumps like a Kangeroo. It's like 5'9 Campo playing goalie for Mexico. You don't expect it. Fabio Cannovaro is the only other 5'8 CB I know.

On what level is he incredible then? How can he be incredible but not good enough for first choice?

Think the global financial meltdown coupled with a divorce and MON's failures have hit the bloke hard

Money

Grabbing, gold digging bint... Who does she think she is? Heather Mills?

Can't she see the damage she is doing? FFS. How can she live with herself with all us Villa Fans being made miserable because of HER individual, selfish GREED?

Grrrrrrrrr...

And nobody at the time questioned this and said: "What's plan B?" or "This is unsustainable, we should be doing it like this..." and so forth. We all lapped it up and I don't remember anyone questioning what the club was doing and/or suggesting an alternative method.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

What bollocks - I, like the majority, reasonably assumed that RL and his CEO had understanding and control of the finances. It is only now "unsustainable" because RL has decided that it is - if he decided to spend at the same level as he did under MON (not as I'm suggesting he will or should), he could do for a good few more years yet

It's neither possible or feasible for supporters to question whether a billionaire's investment in a club is sustainable.

RL seems to have decided that Villa will (hopefully) become a mid-table club - that's a tricky balance to maintain. Normally when finance is withdrawn clubs slip down the table and out of the division

We've now got Lambert, who with more money than Mcleish - is performing worse.

I don't beleive that Lambert is performing worse than McLeish and I'd also dispute whether Lambert has got more money than McLeish. Wages more than transfer fees co-relate most closely to points return and I would imagine that the wage bill under Lambert is lower than McL

I think it may have been very naive of Mr Lerner if he expected to make a profit out of owning a top flight football club. I can't see Abramovich or Mansour making any profit from Chelski and Citeh.

It's not the same thing - Chelsea is a toy for mega-rich Abramovich, MC are an expensive PR exercise to plant Abu Dhabi is the minds of the world as a serious concern.

It would be interesting to know what RL wants from AVFC - he's not rich enough to continously bankroll us and he is unlikely to make a big reutrn on investment, if any at all

My guess is that it is a mistake - he either thought he did have enough cash to make us competitive or thought that he could manage us to profit and sell us at a dividend (or a combination of both)

The main reason I am behind PL is that I think he is our best chance of getting back towards the top of the table whilst RL is still here - a manager who is happy to work within a budget and who will slowly build something worthwhile. A cheque book manager, like Redknapp say, would IMO be a complete distaster

I kind of agree to a point, but aiming for 'mid-table' as the end game season upon season is a tricky proposition in itself... I mean, sooner or later the club will slide towards the trap door... I think back to clubs like Coventry, Charlton, West Ham, Luton (remember them?), QPR even...

I know, some of those clubs do not have the history or calibre of AVFC, but I think the premise is there. On balance, shooting for the moon can cost you dear e.g. Leeds... Nobody wants that here...

If there was a time for a press release or Club statement about the long term aspirations for our club, this might be a good an opportunity as any. Not some cheesy 'McLeishagram' - more of an honest account of which way the club is looking to go. At least as supporters and paying customers in this material world, we can be more informed about our great club. Things are rough at the minute - where do the big bosses see us heading? Are we really in the shit or not? Etc.

I did some thinking about Randy Lerner and I have concluded that he is the laziest owner of a business I have ever known. Akin to Colin Farrell's character in the movie, Horrible Bosses. My reasons for this are that Randy just doesn't seem to research or get involved with anything. This is why I believe he is lazy:

He seemingly allowed Martin O'Neill free rein on all transfer dealings and after three years decides that he's not happy for his money (or is it our money loaned off him at a decent interest rate for Lerner?) to be wasted on players who are just sitting on the bench gathering big salaries. So, he has a few words with the manager, withdraws funding whilst he doesn't play them and says they have to go before money is available. O'Neill walks.

Houllier comes in and makes do with what he's got until January when we're near the bottom and so he is given £30m to spend on high-earning Bent and Makoun (players who are now either sat on the bench or loaned out) . He has heart attack but the team survives. Houllier is passed as unfit by medical staff so he is pensioned off.

McLeish comes in and makes do with what he's got plus is given a little money to get in some token gestures to replace outgoing stars. He buys high-earning N'Zogbia, Hutton and Given (players who are either sat on the bench or loaned out). We are near the bottom of the league but narrowly survive.

Randy realises, months after he should have done, that the Villa fans were right all along about McLeish. He takes action and fires him before bringing in someone the fans apparently want. If

Lambert comes in and has to make do with what he's got plus is given a little money to buy some token gestures to boost the small squad we now have through the previous years of selling our best players and buying people to sit on the bench.

It's like groundhog day! MON was ordered to sell off his high-earning non starters, then Houllier came in and was allowed to buy but had to sell MON's high-earning non starters, then McLeish came in and was allowed to buy but had to sell MON's & Houllier high-earning non starters, now Lambert is here, was allowed to buy and is now told to sell MON's, Houllier's & McLeish high-earning non starters.

To me, it doesn't seem like Randy has had to do much work at all in those last 6-7 years. If I bought a business for £60m+ I am damn sure I would put a bit of work into it myself to make sure my investment was being looked after.

We were led to believe, by General Krulak, back as far as the Milner to Man City deal that we needed to get the high earners out of the club if they weren't playing. Yet, our last two managers have left the current manager with the exact same predicament. Bent, Makoun, Given, Hutton and N'Zogbia were all signed after O'Neill's departure! I think it's fair to say now that Mr Lerner should be taking the lion's share of the blame for our current state.

I kind of agree to a point, but aiming for 'mid-table' as the end game season upon season is a tricky proposition in itself... I mean, sooner or later the club will slide towards the trap door... I think back to clubs like Coventry, Charlton, West Ham, Luton (remember them?), QPR even...

I know, some of those clubs do not have the history or calibre of AVFC, but I think the premise is there. On balance, shooting for the moon can cost you dear e.g. Leeds... Nobody wants that here...

If there was a time for a press release or Club statement about the long term aspirations for our club, this might be a good an opportunity as any. Not some cheesy 'McLeishagram' - more of an honest account of which way the club is looking to go. At least as supporters and paying customers in this material world, we can be more informed about our great club. Things are rough at the minute - where do the big bosses see us heading? Are we really in the shit or not? Etc.

Absolutely agree. I understood the "five year plan" when it was explained and it seemed that we were roughly follwoing that trajectory (until MC came in a blew the opportunity for fourth place CL position out the water).

What is it we are trying to achieve now?? reduce the wage bill - right, and then what?

In the end, General Krulak antagonised fans as his rhetoric became so out of touch with what we could see happening in front of our eyes, a prediction of a possible 4th 5th place finish in a season when we finished 16th was the final nail in the coffin which saw him shame-faced slink away from the forums, but at least we had some insight into high level thinking - now we hear nothing at all from the club

If there was a time for the club to communicate it's aims and get the supporters back onside, surely it is now

Â