The Randy Lerner thread

CI

i expect a repeat at villa in the summer with about 5-6 players leaving with a load of people you have never heard of being bought like international players from Belarus
I'd happily have Pavel Nekhajchik. That's about it.

6th was the very best we could have hoped for despite being in the top 4 for large amounts of certain seasons?

What a load of bollocks. Randy is to blame for a lot of things but O'Neill is to blame for not spending the money well and not at the right time on the right people.

For a while only Man City spent more than we did and 6th was the best we could have hoped for? My arse.

If only we hadn't had to replace an entire defence for the third time in as many seasons or if we'd bought actual goalscorers to help us win a game after February (for a change). We would have been comfortably in the top 4 we were that far ahead of Arsenal (and Everton who also, tediously, predictably caught us twice).

Sorry, if you think O'Neill maximised our potential and did as well as we could possibly have done you are deluded.

He had backing most managers would kill for and when all is said and done, made a bollocks of it. But yes, lets forget that and demonise the man who backed him with all those resources and not the man who squandered them. That makes sense.

Randy should rightly get bollocked for hiring McLeish, for not appointing more footballing expertise to the board, for giving O'Neill too much dictatorial control over finances and many other things I'm sure. But from 2006 - 2009 he was lionised by media and fans as something like the perfect owner. A man who let his manager have the money and freedom to operate with a free hand.

I hope he sells up because I think his time has gone with Villa now. The best chance he and we had of success pissed away because he backed the wrong horse. He needed (and still needs) better advice. Alas, it's done.

That's all I've got to say. I've already wasted more time discussing Pubehead than he's worth.

It just really grates to see Villa fans defend him when he's pretty much shafted us.

Because he was the only manager willing to take the job?

I doubt anyone such as Benitez would take job they would at least want a pot to piss in

The amount he's being paid we could have got anyone to this club.. The prestige of Villa or lack thereof doesn't factor when you are being offered £2.8 million a year to boss two dozen people around. Someone posted a list of the top paid managers in the World and McLeish was at number 10, most of those around him other than Mourinho who gets £10 million a year are on similar figures.. We could have pretty much got any manager in the World with the salary we were banding about.

Heskey was never ' the answer', I never remember his arrival being billed as that. He was an addition to the squad in the January transfer window. Managers don't just get given £12m and all of a sudden they can magically sign whoever they like. I am pretty sure there are other strikers O'Neill would have liked but if they weren't available would you have preferred him to sign no-one? I am not a Heskey fan, I never celebrated his arrival and I also think O'Neill should have spent more time scouting abroad.

However, blaming our inability to finish a season strongly and break into the top six is ridiculous. Man City have spent £200m getting into the Champions League, Villa spent a lot but never quite enough to guarantee a top four place.

We could spend all day arguing over who was a good O'Neill signing and who wasn't. And yes everyone has a point. But the fact is the football was much better to watch (although high tempo more than flamboyant), we finished 6th three seasons in a row, we played in Europe regularly (yes Moscow was another mistake) and we went on cup runs.

Personally I miss those days, because compared to the immediate couple of years before and after, we were successful and people thought we were a decent team.

No manager is perfect, there are better managers than O'Neill out there. But it has been proven twice now that none of them want the Villa job (especially if they are not given a big budget!) and if they ever came on this forum and saw the criticism they would get for achieving relative success in the league then I can understand why they wouldn't touch the job with a barge pole.

You are right about MON,I prefered the football and the results and our league position under him.We will never know why he bought Hesky,I think that he thought that Hesky was better than he is, dont forget he bought Hesky at Leicester so he knew the player,he just mistook his current ability.As for bad signings,well ALL MANAGERS make them,the classic example is that Italian goalkeeper that Ferguson bought ( for crissake I have seen better goalkeeoers in the sunday league ) but the way I see it is that this is where we are.

MON got us to the threshold of european competition, but we needed a bit more to actully cross that threshold and compete in europe on a regular basis.

Lerner would not give MON the extra funds so he left.

If you were in MON"S shoes and you got a team to finish 6th BUT were not allowed to spend to improve the team. Then sureley you would consider your job a waste of time.I mean you are only allowed to go so far and no further.He took us UP to 6th but was not allowed to take us any further ?! in fact we are now in the process of cutting spending so we will end up like a team who'es only ambition is to stay in the prem, the position will not matter just as long as we don"t go down.

Lerner has made it cleat that he can not afford to maintain a team in the top half of the table.

The worst part is that Lerner thinks that McStupid is the manager to have to cut costs AND stay in the prem.

HE IS SOOOOOOOO WRONG ON THAT ONE

I doubt anyone such as Benitez would take job they would at least want a pot to piss in

i said at the start of the season, I wanted someone like Hughton, or even a lower league manager like N Adkins at Southampton. They know the game and have respect of people. and although their CV's aren't long at least they don't have failure written on them.

I'd always rather the club take a bit of a gamble on an unknown than gamble on a known failure.

MON got us to the threshold of european competition, but we needed a bit more to actully cross that threshold and compete in europe on a regular basis.

and then treated it with utter disrespect and **** a lot of fans over especially the CSKA game

Why do people get so tetchy over MON? Nobody is saying he's the only reason for our problems. He certainly isn't. However, along with Randy and McLeish he is partly to blame for the position we're in.

Mantis, didn't you miss Houllier off your list of culprits? :winkold:

and then treated it with utter disrespect and **** a lot of fans over especially the CSKA game

You can"t win them all,and McStupid is **** the fans the players the club off every week

6th was the very best we could have hoped for despite being in the top 4 for large amounts of certain seasons?

What a load of bollocks. Randy is to blame for a lot of things but O'Neill is to blame for not spending the money well and not at the right time on the right people.

For a while only Man City spent more than we did and 6th was the best we could have hoped for? My arse.

If only we hadn't had to replace an entire defence for the third time in as many seasons or if we'd bought actual goalscorers to help us win a game after February (for a change). We would have been comfortably in the top 4 we were that far ahead of Arsenal (and Everton who also, tediously, predictably caught us twice).

Sorry, if you think O'Neill maximised our potential and did as well as we could possibly have done you are deluded.

He had backing most managers would kill for and when all is said and done, made a bollocks of it. But yes, lets forget that and demonise the man who backed him with all those resources and not the man who squandered them. That makes sense.

Randy should rightly get bollocked for hiring McLeish, for not appointing more footballing expertise to the board, for giving O'Neill too much dictatorial control over finances and many other things I'm sure. But from 2006 - 2009 he was lionised by media and fans as something like the perfect owner. A man who let his manager have the money and freedom to operate with a free hand.

I hope he sells up because I think his time has gone with Villa now. The best chance he and we had of success pissed away because he backed the wrong horse. He needed (and still needs) better advice. Alas, it's done.

That's all I've got to say. I've already wasted more time discussing Pubehead than he's worth.

It just really grates to see Villa fans defend him when he's pretty much shafted us.

If you believe there were lots of managers that could come in and do better than O'Neill then you are deluded. Name me one manager who you guarantee would have done better, that is a realistic appointment, and I will back down but personally I think when you take charge of a club that is lightyears away from the established top four and you get as close as he did you can be pretty happy with what you've done but regret never having the chance to complete the job. He signed bad players but he signed some bloody good ones too. And as I've mentioned before, the January transfer window is not an easy time to sign a striker. Look how much we had to pay for Bent? And that was a panic buy! O'Neill desperately wanted a striker but chose to bolster his defence and midfield first, sounds a sensible approach to me. It's not like our strikers have been getting much service this season is it! You can also bang on about the squad left by O'Neill, has it not occurred to you that he would have continued to make changes? He was in charge for less than five years, if you expected more success in that time, bearing in mind what a mess we'd been in under O'Leary then you are clueless.

You can"t win them all,and McStupid is **** the fans the players the club off every week

he never competed in Moscow or Vienna and never told fans he was bringing a scratch team for the 1st game

he never competed in Moscow or Vienna and never told fans he was bringing a scratch team for the 1st game

Or Hamburg for that matter.

The amount he's being paid we could have got anyone to this club.. The prestige of Villa or lack thereof doesn't factor when you are being offered £2.8 million a year to boss two dozen people around. Someone posted a list of the top paid managers in the World and McLeish was at number 10, most of those around him other than Mourinho who gets £10 million a year are on similar figures.. We could have pretty much got any manager in the World with the salary we were banding about.

He is ranked 20th on £2m a year (€2.4m). I believe he was on £1.5m at the sty.

If you believe there were lots of managers that could come in and do better than O'Neill then you are deluded. Name me one manager who you guarantee would have done better, that is a realistic appointment, and I will back down but personally I think when you take charge of a club that is lightyears away from the established top four and you get as close as he did you can be pretty happy with what you've done but regret never having the chance to complete the job. He signed bad players but he signed some bloody good ones too. And as I've mentioned before, the January transfer window is not an easy time to sign a striker. Look how much we had to pay for Bent? And that was a panic buy! O'Neill desperately wanted a striker but chose to bolster his defence and midfield first, sounds a sensible approach to me. It's not like our strikers have been getting much service this season is it! You can also bang on about the squad left by O'Neill, has it not occurred to you that he would have continued to make changes? He was in charge for less than five years, if you expected more success in that time, bearing in mind what a mess we'd been in under O'Leary then you are clueless.

You write that shit and call me clueless? :lol:

He could have bought Bent but allowed him to go to **** Sunderland cheaply because he wouldn't know a striker if he fell over one.

You say he sensibly built from the back? He replaced the entire defence he himself had just bought with money that could have been used elsewhere on, oh let's say, the striker we desperately needed?

January is only a bad time to buy if you're Martin O'Neill and only shop in the UK. Or if, for an example, you haven't bought properly in the summer because you've just bought an entire defence again (at the last minute of course), plus the odd shite midfielder and forgot to buy that striker we desperately needed, so wait until January and still get it massively wrong.

Not a **** clue.

I personally couldnt care less if you "back down" or not but it's pointless talking managers because you would only say "we wouldn't have got him" or whatever. But I do not agree, nor will I ever, that Martin O'Neill was the best man for the job or the most capable. If you'd gone to a lot of the best managers with a billionaire ready to plough tens of millions into a project you honestly think they wouldn't be interested? But Randy had to work with him as he'd just been appointed (no doubt with Randys blessing).

And please spare me from the great squad buiding work of O'Neill from the dark days of O'Leary (who was a clearing in the woods). As if splashing millions on players is a difficult task. He still inherited some of the best players from O'Leary and managed to do no better in the league (6th). Big **** deal.

The truth is that due to his lack of foresight in buying a defence (he bought Shorey on Sidwell's advice for **** sake!), his inability to buy a striker even though lavished with a huge transfer budget and his uk only myopia in the transfer meant that, unfortuantely for us, he was not the ideal person to be spending the money we had. Money that if better used, would have put us in a very strong position then and now.

Yes, he bought some good players. It's not really that hard. Good players tend to be quite obviously good.

But he also:

- Spent £5m on the hopeless Sidwell and gave him £50k p/w

- Heskey for £4m on £60k p/w :shock:

- Beye on 40k p/w

- Bought Marlon Harewood

- Bought Shorey on a recommendation of a player he hardly used.

- Sold Cahill and bought Davies at twice the price.

- Bought a winger with a broken leg when we needed a striker.

- Left everything to the last minute.

- Could rarely win a game after February.

This is really the best we could have hoped for at Aston Villa? I think my expectations are higher.

Spent £5m on the hopeless Sidwell and gave him £50k p/w

- Heskey for £4m on £60k p/w

- Beye on 40k p/w

- Bought Marlon Harewood

- Bought Shorey on a recommendation of a player he hardly used.

- Sold Cahill and bought Davies at twice the price.

also add 8.5 million for Reo-Coker who he rarely played

Â