The Randy Lerner thread

CI

8 hours ago, DK82 said:

And the plan seemed to be 'throw money at it' with plan b being 'oh ****' and plan c as 'panic' which is why we are where we are!

I've got visions of Lerner having this big folder marked "Plan B".

He takes it out and hands it round in a board meeting, where Krulak slowly opens it to reveal a scrap of paper saying "Oh ****!"

:D

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He takes it out and hands it round in a board meeting, where Krulak slowly opens it to reveal a scrap of paper saying "Oh ****!"

Krulak hastily scribbles something down and passes it back to Lerner, nodding with a sly grin on his face.

“Let’s just look at Desert Storm. It was 4am and we were standing next to minefields separating Saudi Arabia and Kuwait. There were trenches filled with gas, massive artillery ready to rain down on us and the threat of chemical attack. My next in command looked at me and said, ‘How are we gonna get through this?’

I said, ‘We’re gonna do it, we’re gonna go through this like a knife through butter’. 

It’s easy to give up but you can’t do that. We fought our way through those minefields and the rest is history."

Randy looks up at Krulak, who silently mouths 'foolproof' at him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

Krulak hastily scribbles something down and passes it back to Lerner, nodding with a sly grin on his face.

“Let’s ask Nicky Keye."

Randy looks up at Krulak, who silently mouths 'foolproof' at him.

• Like 2

Really?

1) If only we'd bought a player for £8m, and then sold him for four times that price, to even the balance of the ledger! I can't think of any such player. Oh wait, yes I can, but I won't include him in the list of purchases because that damages my point in some way. 

2) Why do we buy football players? Do we buy them to make a profit on them, or do we buy them to win football matches? I'd say very obviously the latter, and as such our problem is buying players who haven't helped us win, not buying players that we haven't profited from. 

3) I could produce a similar table for basically every club in the Premier League, especially if I'm allowed to leave off any players who don't fit my point. 

• Like 4

Point taken.

Whats your view on the 16 players who we signed for about £110,000,000 that left for absolutely zero return. Can you show me any other club in the league who have wasted so much money and allowed 16 players to leave for nothing.

I will see what the total in & out figures come to.

• Like 1

Those players fall into 3 groups, which you can use to define all transfers who leave for no fee:

1) We Got Our Money's Worth In Performances

2) Cheap Gambles That Failed

3) Outright Disasters

Our problem is that too many are in group 3, and not enough in group 1. Every team has players in all three categories, no clubs' recruitment is perfect. Seriously, I can find a way to make Leicester's recruitment since 2010 looks disastrous, if I point out that they signed for money all of the following:

Yuki Abe / Sol Bamba / Martyn Waghorn / Neil Danns / Sean St. Ledger / Matthew Mills / Ben Marshall / Lee Peltier / Matthew James / Chris Wood / Cian Bolger/ Anthony Knockaert / Dean Hammond / Tom Lawrence / Andrej Kramaric / Yohan Benalouane / Gokhan Inler

• Like 1

£168m over 10 years is not a massive amount for a premier league team. More importantly the majority of that was spent early on and then there was a sudden shift to the complete opposite strategy. No gradual process. Just a massive shift. Of course it will have a detrimental effect.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, omariqy said:

£168m over 10 years is not a massive amount for a premier league team. More importantly the majority of that was spent early on and then there was a sudden shift to the complete opposite strategy. No gradual process. Just a massive shift. Of course it will have a detrimental effect.

Yes, exactly. 

The broader point is that our problem is not that we spent too much money for not enough financial reward, it's that we spent money on shit players who have lost us too many matches. Footballers aren't investments like stocks and shares, they're the means to the end of winning football matches. 

Another way to consider that table would be to imagine it reversed: what would it show if it showed healthy profits on a long list of players? 

In reality, people would be criticising the owner for only purchasing players with high resale potential (just like Mike Ashley!) and taking money out of the club. 

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Nah it would say "ask Nicky Key"

Â