The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Sorry mate, misunderstood the tone of your posts. Sincere apologies!

It was in the Birmingham Mail, I would post a link, but I can barely understand normal posts as it is!

No probs if it was the Mail it was prob a sister company article i.e. bollox?

Is it a sign of how the money in the game has gone mad, when RL is giving 'only' £10m (that's £10,000,000.00!!) and we are outraged?

Randy's not giving anyone anything though

Is it a sign of how the money in the game has gone mad, when RL is giving 'only' £10m (that's £10,000,000.00!!) and we are outraged?

This is not a defence of Lerner, more a statement of how what would be a life changing amount of money to us, is nowhere near enough to confirm survival in this league!

The trouble is, you have to invest each year in new players, and £10m isn't enough, and wasn't when Lerner took over.  We were told by the club that last year was the last one whereby the financial results were horrendous, and that sensible investment would happen.  Shortly before we were told that Lerner definitely wasn't going to be selling, and was as committed as ever.

We have a bunch of incompetent liars running the club.

• Like 1

This is not a defence of Lerner, more a statement of how what would be a life changing amount of money to us, is nowhere near enough to confirm survival in this league!

The trouble is, you have to invest each year in new players, and £10m isn't enough, and wasn't when Lerner took over. We were told by the club that last year was the last one whereby the financial results were horrendous, and that sensible investment would happen. Shortly before we were told that Lerner definitely wasn't going to be selling, and was as committed as ever.

We have a bunch of incompetent liars running the club.

I agree that £10m isn't enough. £20m is barely enough to keep you in the league as proven by our last 2 seasons!

Are there any members who still back Lerner? 

Does it matter any more? He is trying to get out, which is what we all appear to want. 

Of course it matters, there might be some who still wish for him to stay.

well, that depends on who the new owners are. 

Whilst i would like Randy to sell and new owners to come in, i would like a better (richer?) owner than Randy.

if its going to be an obviously worse owner (ie: Venkys, Bham City owner, Portsmouth owner, Notts County owner, etc) then i'd rather keep Randy.

The trouble is, you have to invest each year in new players, and £10m isn't enough, and wasn't when Lerner took over. 
I agree that £10m isn't enough. £20m is barely enough to keep you in the league as proven by our last 2 seasons!

I'm not sure thats true. How many clubs spend £20mill every year?

Outside the top 6, i don't think there are any/many?

Transfer figures on their own are irrelevant... West Brom might not visibly spend £20m this summer but you can bet the difference in Lescott's wages and that of their average wage are the equivalent of a good few million.

Everton are the same - on the face of it they get by spending a relatively small amount.  But add up the extra expense in wages of Barry, Delefeou, Traore (even though he hardly played) and Lukaku and I bet it's a big chunk of that £20m figure.

Transfer figures on their own are irrelevant... West Brom might not visibly spend £20m this summer but you can bet the difference in Lescott's wages and that of their average wage are the equivalent of a good few million.

Everton are the same - on the face of it they get by spending a relatively small amount.  But add up the extra expense in wages of Barry, Delefeou, Traore (even though he hardly played) and Lukaku and I bet it's a big chunk of that £20m figure.

oh, i totally agree that its wages not transfer fees that are relevant - i was just replying to the posts saying we needed £20m transfer fees each year.

In wages term, we've always been in the top 6-8 wages spent, always more than West Brom & Everton.

This season will probably be the first season where we fall below Everton, and will be somewhere similar to West Brom?

But what does it actually mean that the club dies a little more!? Are we on the road to administration and heading towards no longer existing as a football club!? No.

We'll still be here for a long time. The club isn't dying at all. It's less capable of challenging amongst the big guns - something we last did regularly before women got the right to vote - or battling it out for eighth place, but dying!? No. Nothing of the melodramatic sort.

• Like 1

I don't blame Lerner for not having the money to buy us success, what I do blame him for is not selling us 2/3 years ago when he knew he couldn't do it!

This is the first season that I can honestly say that if 17th place was offered right now, I'd take it in a heartbeat!

But what does it actually mean that the club dies a little more!? Are we on the road to administration and heading towards no longer existing as a football club!? No.

We'll still be here for a long time. The club isn't dying at all. It's less capable of challenging amongst the big guns - something we last did regularly before women got the right to vote - or battling it out for eighth place, but dying!? No. Nothing of the melodramatic sort.

Its an emotive word sure but if you consider that the life blood of a club should be to produce the best team/results it can and to try and compete and achieve the best that it can it fits.

Every season we get further and further away from being a competitive club thanks to Lerner, so no the club isn't going to stop existing because of him but in terms of it being a club run as anything other than a business, that has been dying for 4 years or so.

Its all about our financial position and has been for years now, that isn't football its business and Lerner isn't even good at that.

• Like 1

I'd say its slowly dying. Season ticket sales are decreasing, we're becoming financially weaker than other clubs, the reputation of the club is getting worse and if we continue to battle relegation each year we will slip away at some point.

• Like 1

Â