The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Petrov, Agathe, Maloney, Carew, Reo Coker, Harewood, Knight, Routledge, Salifou, Davies, Sidwell, Freidel, Shorey, Young, Cuellar, Heskey, Beye, Warnock, Collins and Dunne brought for a combined sum of £85.55m and sold for 7.1m

that is sickeningly scary if its true

BG Villa Fan I am talking about the season the manager was in charge not who the manager brought and sold himself if you look up the dates you will see the players I mentioned had their contracts signed with us or the club we sold to in that July 1st to June 30th that year.

Yes we did by pissing money up the wall on fees as shown and by extortionate wages we all know about and couldn't afford. 

Football is about winning games. We won a lot more games in the MON era than we do now.

also very true, but it probably underlines why Lerner is reluctant to invest after he was burned the 1st time

Shows Lerners atuteness and management brilliance this.....fiddle and get relegated or spend and stay up? Not spend and lose the Sky money leaves us a far sight worse off in the medium to long term.

He took a gamble on the January window that we had enough points t ostay up without further investment - he got that wrong - so now is his gamble to get relegated, use the parachute money to bounce back just like Blackpool, B-Lose, Charlton, Blackburn, QPR, etc etc didn't?.

He is clueless, stupid, arrogant and many other things if he thinks he can survive on 3p and a bag of marbles every season

• Like 1

Football is about winning games. We won a lot more games in the MON era than we do now.

also very true, but it probably underlines why Lerner is reluctant to invest after he was burned the 1st time

I know what you're saying, but was he really burned the first time?

That is just how much it costs to own a club at the top end of the Premier League. Every club up there makes expensive mistakes, its the nature of the beast.

Lets not forget the huge increases in TV revenue over the last few years, that should offset some/all of those costly payoffs.

Its clear he wants us to stay up as cheaply as possible and that will be the brief given to PL I'm sure. Whilst we're staying up then I don't see why Lambert would get the chop.

Wasn't Lerners favourite comment (via mouthpiece Krulak) the fact if he wanted to make money he wouldn't have invested in a football club?

He knew he was onto a loser but went ahead and now in just a few years has managed to bring OUR football club down on it's knees far quicker and more spectacularly than Ellis and yet people still make excuses for him.

I was here for over 50 years before Lerner rode into town, I just hope I am still around to see him go and see some limited hope/success before I'm a Holte Ender in the Sky!

• Like 4

Wasn't Lerners favourite comment (via mouthpiece Krulak) the fact if he wanted to make money he wouldn't have invested in a football club?

He knew he was onto a loser but went ahead and now in just a few years has managed to bring OUR football club down on it's knees far quicker and more spectacularly than Ellis and yet people still make excuses for him.

I was here for over 50 years before Lerner rode into town, I just hope I am still around to see him go and see some limited hope/success before I'm a Holte Ender in the Sky!

Rubbish Lerner Joined we were what 16th.  Five Years Later we finished 9th.

Our last top 6 position is coming up to 5 years and we are currently 13th.

Ellis in 1982 took over the European Champions in five years we were relegated

Im not saying Lerner has done well but he hasnt brought us down faster than Ellis, he holds that record himself.  It took Man U 6 seasons to get relegated after winning the European Cup.

Ellis was Chairmen when we slipped to our lowest ever position in the old Div 3.

Edited by NIVillan

Lerner is obviously to blame as he entrusted MON's opinion and spent vast amounts on the players he wanted.

A mistake that he's learnt from, but definitely his fault.

Well no he didn't learn from it because we did the same thing for the following two years while also spending a stupid amount of money on compensation thanks to poor managerial appointments.

thing is we didn't do the same thing the following two years as the figures I looked for showed.

Also you say the blame MON to defend the owner I clearly stated it was the owner, CEO and manager to blame plus it takes quite a while to fix when you throw in long term contracts to run out, no fees when getting rid of players, 2 years of negative spends followed by 2 years of 20m spends to rebuild an entire squad.

If anyone is pushing an agenda it is you.

Edited by suttonpaul

Football is about economics and rampant capitalism in the top flight.  By and large the best teams are the ones with the biggest wallets. Occasionally someone may hit above their weight but in the long term if you are not owned by a multi zillionaire or in London, you are fooked. Great isn't it?

thing is we didn't do the same thing the following two years as the figures I looked for showed.

Also you say the blame MON to defend the owner I clearly stated it was the owner, CEO and manager to blame plus it takes quite a while to fix when you throw in long term contracts to run out, no fees when getting rid of players, 2 years of negative spends followed by 2 years of 20m spends to rebuild an entire squad.

If anyone is pushing an agenda it is you.

Which players had contracts that meant we've had to spend peanuts under Lambert and we're struggling to get them off the wage bill? Players signed by MON or players signed by McLeish and Houllier?

Â