The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Transfers since Lambert joined. Numbers are from Soccerbase.com. Dunno how accurate they are. To be frank this doesn't really look like a club who is too concerned with keeping costs down. High earners are leaving and being replaced by younger players on lower wages, yes, but we're also signing a fair few of them and it all adds up. Do you expect more than this in the future?2013/14Players in

Leandro Bacuna FC Groningen £3,000,000

Jores Okore Nordsjaelland £4,000,000

Nicklas Helenius Aalborg £1,200,000

Antonio Luna Seville £2,000,000

Jed Steer Norwich Free

Libor Kozak Lazio £7,000,000

Aleksandar Tonev Lech Poznan £2,500,000Total: £19,700,000Players loaned in

Ryan Bertrand Chelsea

Grant Holt WiganPlayers out

Eric Lichaj Nottm Forest Free

Malcomn Melvin Notts Co Free

Derrick Williams Bristol C Free

Brett Holman Al Nassr Free

Courtney Cameron Torquay

Richard Dunne QPR Free

Jean Makoun Rennes Signed

Andy Marshall Millwall Free

Barry Bannan C Palace Signed

Stephen Ireland Stoke SignedTotal: £0Players loaned out

Benjamin Siegrist Burton

Shay Given Middlesbro

Enda Stevens Doncastee

Jack Grealish Notts Co

Samir Carruthers MK Dons

Nathan Delfouneso Coventry

Graeme Burke Shrewsbury

Michael Drennan Carlisle

Darren Bent Fulham2012/13--------------------Players in

Karim El Ahmadi Feyenoord £2,000,000

Brett Holman AZ Alkmaar Free

Matthew Lowton Sheff Utd £3,000,000

Ron Vlaar Feyenoord £3,200,000

Joe Bennett Middlesbro £2,750,000

Christian Benteke Genk £7,000,000

Jordan Bowery Chesterfield £500,000

Ashley R Westwood Crewe £2,000,000

Yacouba Sylla Clermont £2,000,000Total: £22,450,000Players out

Carlos Cuellar Sunderland Free

James Collins West Ham £2,500,000

Connor Taylor Walsall Free

Stephen Warnock Leeds FreeTotal: £2,500,000Players released

Habib Beye

Stiliyan Petrov

I don't mean to be mean, but most of those fees are absolute bollox.

Are they?  The audited accounts confirm that what we spent last year was £21.7m.  I may have mentioned it before.

That would be to May 2012, so presumably the first set of figures here will be borne out (or not), when the 12/13 accounts are available?

I'm not happy no matter what, no - but I'm willing to forgive mistakes and I'm willing to wait it out if I see there is a long term plan, and for me and quite a lot of other people it's plain to see that we're progressing and the future is looking alright.

Hahaha 'alright' that right there sums it all up.

Cheering on 4 years of shit because the future might be 'alright'

Stuff of childhood dreams there.

Cheering on? I'm not some happy clappy **** - I hated the McLeish era just as much as anyone but at least I gave him a chance at the beginning. After that I didn't see any reason to get behind anything he did after a while in charge because it was clear there was nothing to him. With Lambert, I'm willing to take the rough with the smooth in the meantime because I genuinely think things will work out and we'll be back in the top 8 and giving the top 6 a go, which is where a club like us should be.

Take the rough with the smooth? Lambert has given us plenty of the former but nothing of the latter.

I'd say the Lambert era is every bit as bad if not worse than the McLeish era.

And I'd say your wrong! Lambert has a plan without dragging up the past McLeish never tried to win games under Lambert we do. May not be every game may not happen when he does but generally we do have a go. The last half of last season was very smooth and even in this season where 3 months was crap we've still had some big wins. Lerner and Lambert are at least pulling in the same direction. No one said it would be a quick fix it took 4 years over spending to to get us in the mess. Blame Randy all you like for trying and failing but until it's been put right again we and see where we go from there I'll reserve judgement. This summer will tell every one where we are going and what Randy's intentions are until then I'll support the team as I believe if we hit anywhere like last seasons finish we will have a great ending to this season.

Sorry I don't have to fit what you deem acceptable criteria. You're happy with what ever happens. Good for you.

I'm not happy with 2 managerial appointments that set us back years and made serious problems at the club even worse.

I'm not happy that this then led to serious cut backs and I'm not not happy those cut backs continued last January when we were desperate. I'm not happy that our long term future was gambled with in order to keep costs low.

I'm not happy that the manager isn't fully backed in the transfer market and I'm not happy we have to play awful football to grind out results because of the lack of quality in the squad.

I don't believe the only way to rebuild after MON was to do what we've done the past 4 years. Its set the club back years and who knows what our long term future is because of it.

I'll be happy if the manager is backed more in the transfer market, if we offer competitive wages to improve the squad and if the quality of play and performances improve.

You're happy no matter what, doesn't mean we all are going to be.

Absolutely spot on, I feel exactly the same.

Transfers since Lambert joined. Numbers are from Soccerbase.com. Dunno how accurate they are. To be frank this doesn't really look like a club who is too concerned with keeping costs down. High earners are leaving and being replaced by younger players on lower wages, yes, but we're also

Are they?  The audited accounts confirm that what we spent last year was £21.7m.  I may have mentioned it before.

That would be to May 2012, so presumably the first set of figures here will be borne out (or not), when the 12/13 accounts are available?

Incorrect.  The figures confirm what was spent AFTER the balance sheet date, ie Lambert's first season.  And it's £21.7m, which is extremely close to what all the reported figures for Westwood et al add up to.

Transfers since Lambert joined. Numbers are from Soccerbase.com. Dunno how accurate they are. To be frank this doesn't really look like a club who is too concerned with keeping costs down. High earners are leaving and being replaced by younger players on lower wages, yes, but we're also

Incorrect.  The figures confirm what was spent AFTER the balance sheet date, ie Lambert's first season.  And it's £21.7m, which is extremely close to what all the reported figures for Westwood et al add up to.

Understood. Thanks for clearing that up.

Sorry I don't have to fit what you deem acceptable criteria. You're happy with what ever happens. Good for you.

I'm not happy with 2 managerial appointments that set us back years and made serious problems at the club even worse.

I'm not happy that this then led to serious cut backs and I'm not not happy those cut backs continued last January when we were desperate. I'm not happy that our long term future was gambled with in order to keep costs low.

I'm not happy that the manager isn't fully backed in the transfer market and I'm not happy we have to play awful football to grind out results because of the lack of quality in the squad.

I don't believe the only way to rebuild after MON was to do what we've done the past 4 years. Its set the club back years and who knows what our long term future is because of it.

I'll be happy if the manager is backed more in the transfer market, if we offer competitive wages to improve the squad and if the quality of play and performances improve.

Of course what the OP misses is the fact that the club was 'set back years' by the O'Neill era, and that the two who followed him didn't improve the situation, but weren't really here long enough to set us back even further. Of course the club, and ultimately the owner, must take responsibility for the free rein given to O'Neill, but that is when the golden opportunity was missed, and the damage done.

But the facts rarely get in the way of raging prejudice!

Surely, by keeping costs low, our long term future hasn't been gambled with? If we spent high and still got relegated, that right there is gambling with our long term future.

Getting relegated when the TV money increased would have been disastrous. We shouldn't have been in a position where we had to spend high to secure safety and no one expected ridiculous money but last Jan was a massive gamble.

I said all along I wanted a season where relegation wasn't a worry. I think around 11th/12th would be a decent finish but those expectations are more down to the manager than the owner.

In terms of expectations on the owner I don't think we should be spending championship level wages and not backing the manager in the transfer market.

Yes let's be realistic. Let's look at the fact we earn more money than the majority of the league, let's look at at how many times in the prem we finished bottom half or below 50 pts before lerner came. Let's be realistic and acknowledge how far we've dropped. I'd like that to happen.

I am no big fan of Lerner, nor a big critic, but in the 7 full seasons since he came we accrued 363 points, at an average of 51.85.

In the 7 before he came we accrued 352, at an average of 50.28. And in the whole of the Prem, including our best ever years since the war   (other than the year we won the League) we averaged 54.14 prior to Lerner, which makes him, at worst, just over 2 points worse than we ever are............................... - :)

Edited by terrytini

Of course what the OP misses is the fact that the club was 'set back years' by the O'Neill era, and that the two who followed him didn't improve the situation, but weren't really here long enough to set us back even further. Of course the club, and ultimately the owner, must take responsibility for the free rein given to O'Neill, but that is when the golden opportunity was missed, and the damage done.

So houllier and mcleish didn't set us back even further? How have you reached that conclusion. Do you want to have a look at the players added to the squad over the two years after MON left?

Surely, by keeping costs low, our long term future hasn't been gambled with? If we spent high and still got relegated, that right there is gambling with our long term future.

Getting relegated when the TV money increased would have been disastrous. We shouldn't have been in a position where we had to spend high to secure safety and no one expected ridiculous money but last Jan was a massive gamble.

I said all along I wanted a season where relegation wasn't a worry. I think around 11th/12th would be a decent finish but those expectations are more down to the manager than the owner.

In terms of expectations on the owner I don't think we should be spending championship level wages and not backing the manager in the transfer market.

Yes let's be realistic. Let's look at the fact we earn more money than the majority of the league, let's look at at how many times in the prem we finished bottom half or below 50 pts before lerner came. Let's be realistic and acknowledge how far we've dropped. I'd like that to happen.

I am no big fan of Lerner, nor a big critic, but in the 7 full seasons since he came we accrued 363 points, at an average of 51.85.

In the 7 before he came we accrued 352, at an average of 50.28. :)

So how many times did we finish with less than 50 points before Lerner and how many times under Lerner?

So houllier and mcleish didn't set us back even further? How have you reached that conclusion. Do you want to have a look at the players added to the squad over the two years after MON left?

In the 7 before he came we accrued 352, at an average of 50.28. :)

So how many times did we finish with less than 50 points before Lerner and how many times under Lerner?

In our entire Prem history prior to Lerner we averaged just 2 points better.

Even you can't argue that that means exactly what it says !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And that includes the closest thing we have had to glory years !!!!!!!!!!!!

We were 16th in the season before Lerner took over, and every season under him we've been that position or higher. That means he's improved us. He hasn't restored the club to its glory days, but that's not what "improve" means.  It just means we are better than when he took over.

Â