The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Since they day he got here Lambert has been banging on about stripping the club back before he can rebuild it time and again saying how difficult the job was etc. I don't think he meant building the North Stand himself so I assume he meant the team. If you choose to disregard that it's your prerogative but I've tended to believe it and understand the reasons why

When has he said about cutting the wage bill and going again?

Just because you haven't read it doesn't mean it hasn't happened have a google yourself if you don't believe it. It's been pointed out numerous times but as I've said only time will tell!!

I hope you can get the link I've never done one before as I assumed people read most things about Villa that was out there!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22556883

But the Villa boss does not expect any big summer signings, saying: "Those days have gone."

You've just posted an article that included that quote as proof that the plan is cut wages and then go again.

Edited by Big_John_10

Hmm …. during 2011/12 our wages were out of control at 94% of our total annual income. This season I'm guessing that we are now below the £52 million wage bill p.a that triggers restrictions in the Financial Fair Play regulations.

The problem is that if that is the case and we then wish to exceed that £52 million figure next season or in the near future, we can only do so by increasing total wages by £4 million per year without incurring sanctions.

That would mean that there could be no more big transfers by AVFC, because the demands of even a couple of £8 million pound players would exceed the £4 mil p.a cap.

This may well be Lerner"s intention …. by reducing the wage bill to just below £52 million he has a ready made excuse for only targeting players who will accept very average salaries.

Of course this may just be me being cynical in my old age, but if this is our current and future policy it may well pay RL to remain as Villa owner for some considerable time …. as long as we survive in the Premiership!

Edited by villabromsgrove

But the Villa boss does not expect any big summer signings, saying: "Those days have gone."

You've just posted an article that included that quote as proof that the plan is cut wages and then go again.

It was just one of many of him stating that he has to strip the club back ie wages high earners and he is trying to build if differently feel free to pick any quote that suits your POV.

Out of interest you said HH named 2 players to you one not mentioned in press now the windows closed can you tell me those names? Just wondering if it would fit in with reports of late.

The club line all along has been we need to get the wages sorted then we can look to go again

Has it? When have the club said that?

Naming rights to build a new stand makes no sense to me when we're struggling to pay competitive wages.

And transfer fees aren't the major issue, what will the wages be like in the summer? What will happen if benteke is sold?

And TBH Kendrick is basically a mouth piece for the club

Nothing makes sense to you.

I expect though given all the criticism you've made on here that you're a self made multi-millionaire at the very least.

One of the first rules of business is to invest in bricks and mortar, i'm sure the returns from better corporate facilities, more season tickets etc are much safer than spending the money on players.wages

You know we're a professional sports club right?

You are aware that football is a business to 95% of the professional teams ?

They show the wage bill needed to drop. Where does is say then we go again?

As for the bit in bold, are you taking the piss? I'd rather not win anything if it means risking a Portsmouth or a Leeds trying to

Are you taking the piss? Spending money on the squad when its so poor instead of a new stand is hardly going to turn us into **** Leeds utd is it? However flirting with relegation constantly could see us finally relegated, where does that leave us then?

Can't believe we've reached a point where suggesting money gets sent on improving a poor squad over a new stand is taking the piss.

The thing is,

if it's naming rights for a new stand, it's probably not a case of "we'll just use that on signings instead"

It could well be that we're only getting naming rights IF we build a new stand.

So the choice is

1. We build a new stand and get money for it

2. We don't build a new stand but don't get any money.

I agree that if Randy spent his own money on the stand then it wouldn't make much sense when we're lacking in transfer funds. But I would imagine if we're getting naming rights then maybe there's some sort of stipulation that we HAVE to develop the north stand.

I don't know that, obviously. Just speculating.

That's a fair point and one I couldn't disagree with. The point I disagreed with was the poster who said it should go towards the new stand because its a safer financial investment than improving the squad.

But increasing commercial revenue is how the clubs future will be safeguarded and will be what ultimately makes the club self sustainable and allow us to sign the players that you crave.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

• Like 1

Hmm …. during 2011/12 our wages were out of control at 94% of our total annual income. This season I'm guessing that we are now below the £52 million wage bill p.a that triggers restrictions in the Financial Fair Play regulations.

The problem is that if that is the case and we then wish to exceed that £52 million figure next season or in the near future, we can only do so by increasing total wages by £4 million per year without incurring sanctions.

That would mean that there could be no more big transfers by AVFC, because the demands of even a couple of £8 million pound players would exceed the £4 mil p.a cap.

This may well be Lerner"s intention …. by reducing the wage bill to just below £52 million he has a ready made excuse for only targeting players who will accept very average salaries.

Of course this may just be me being cynical in my old age, but if this is our current and future policy it may well pay RL to remain as Villa owner for some considerable time …. as long as we survive in the Premiership!

Isn't another way of increasing the amount we can spend on wages increasing our commercial revenue ?

Which would be why things like the new North Stand and naming rights would be a double hit, as both would add to revenue.

Could it be that the club actually do have a plan ? 

• Like 2

HH said to me that we were after Milner on loan as well as hoolahan.

I've never doubted that Lambert's had to strip the wage bill but there's been no clear evidence that the plan was to do that and then start spending again.

Are we to assume that you have verified the identity and therefore the credibility of HH?

Or are you clinging on to him/her as someone who says things that either give you hope or reinforce your point of view?

They show the wage bill needed to drop. Where does is say then we go again?

As for the bit in bold, are you taking the piss? I'd rather not win anything if it means risking a Portsmouth or a Leeds trying to

Are you taking the piss? Spending money on the squad when its so poor instead of a new stand is hardly going to turn us into **** Leeds utd is it? However flirting with relegation constantly could see us finally relegated, where does that leave us then?

Can't believe we've reached a point where suggesting money gets sent on improving a poor squad over a new stand is taking the piss.

The thing is,

if it's naming rights for a new stand, it's probably not a case of "we'll just use that on signings instead"

It could well be that we're only getting naming rights IF we build a new stand.

So the choice is

1. We build a new stand and get money for it

2. We don't build a new stand but don't get any money.

I agree that if Randy spent his own money on the stand then it wouldn't make much sense when we're lacking in transfer funds. But I would imagine if we're getting naming rights then maybe there's some sort of stipulation that we HAVE to develop the north stand.

I don't know that, obviously. Just speculating.

That's a fair point and one I couldn't disagree with. The point I disagreed with was the poster who said it should go towards the new stand because its a safer financial investment than improving the squad.

But increasing commercial revenue is how the clubs future will be safeguarded and will be what ultimately makes the club self sustainable and allow us to sign the players that you crave.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

In all seriousness how much can we expect to improve commercial revenue without the team to back it up?

And I've got no problem in building something to increase money we can spend on players however your initial post said it was a safer investment to build the stand, nothing about building commercial revenue to sign better players.

Â