The Randy Lerner thread

CI

5 wins in 21 games at Villa Park.

What an owner

Its worse than that its 9 wins in our last 40 home league games. I was a bit pissed for a second today when they announced the attendance at the game that there was under 38k but then I thought really its not that surprising is it when you look at how shit our home record has been. Add that to the fact for the last 3 seasons the vast majority of that time we have spent in the bottom six battling relegation.

Whilst Randy doesn't pick the team or kick a ball for us he has been the guy picking the managers and then giving them the funds to spend. I think he has potentially a very good manager in Lambert but for me he hasn't backed him well enough both in terms of transfer funds and wages to bring the level of player in that will really see us kick on.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

What an owner.

Yes because Randy manages the team and plays in the games...

No he just hires managers and sets budgets. Clearly has no effect on the team does it.

We've won 17 home games since MoN left and the owner had to start making footballing decisions.

Hang on a second, Lambert was the manager the fans were literally crying out for. Lerner's played his part in this mess (as have a lot of other people over the years) but I think it's ridiculous how you jump on him for things have more to do with the players and the manager. It seems like whatever goes wrong with anything connected to Villa, you blame him directly.

I guess he must've spent all our transfer money on a mind control device that lets him control the staff and the players.

• Like 1

What an owner.

No he just hires managers and sets budgets. Clearly has no effect on the team does it.

We've won 17 home games since MoN left and the owner had to start making footballing decisions.

If that statistic is true I am completely staggered...

Yeah Lerner's the easy scapegoat. He's backed Lambert, Lambert's a manager a lot of fans are happy with. The joke performances a home are far more to do with Lamberts inability to set a team up properly at home than Lerner.

Lerner's an easy scapegoat.

He's the owner of the club for gods sake

What an owner.

Hang on a second, Lambert was the manager the fans were literally crying out for. Lerner's played his part in this mess (as have a lot of other people over the years) but I think it's ridiculous how you jump on him for things have more to do with the players and the manager. It seems like whatever goes wrong with anything connected to Villa, you blame him directly.

I guess he must've spent all our transfer money on a mind control device that lets him control the staff and the players.

Who hires the managers and sets the budgets to sign the players?

Of course I blame him. He's the man with all the power, he's the man that has made bad decision after bad decision to turn us into a club that hopes it can achieve mediocrity.

What an owner.

If that statistic is true I am completely staggered...

3 years of truly awful football since he had to start making footballing decisions.

Of course I blame him. He's the man with all the power, he's the man that has made bad decision after bad decision to turn us into a club that hopes it can achieve mediocrity.

Who picks the team, sets the tactics, signs the players, trains the players and plays the game? It's ludicrous that you're trying to blame him for these things as well. If something connected with Villa is bad then it's his fault, yet if something his good then it's down to the players/manager.

So what are you saying, that getting Lambert in was a bad decision?

Who picks the team, sets the tactics, signs the players, trains the players and plays the game? It's ludicrous that you're trying to blame him for these things as well. If something connected with Villa is bad then it's his fault, yet if something his good then it's down to the players/manager.

Who sets the transfer budgets? Who sets the wage caps? Who approved the "buy lower leagues and overseas - cheap" Strategy?

Yes he hired Lambert, so what? Not exactly proven either is he?

Too many people got carried away after the Arsenal result and parked their common sense. We may be able to pull off the odd spectacular result but ultimately our squad with a couple of exceptions is still poor and not fit for the Premiership.

• Like 1

I'm not a massive Lerner fan however fans need to get real.......

A fair amount of clubs in the championship pay the same or more for a ticket than our fans do.

We don't sell out the ground.

We don't have the pull of fashionable London.

We don't have champions league revenues.

We are a football dinosaur just like Everton or Leeds. The game has changed and we don't have the pull or the money to compete our league is finishing 7th that is winning the league for us until we either 1, move to London or 2, get a billionaire owner who literally wants to throw 500m to 1000m at the club ala Chelsea/Man City.

Just get over it.

Watch the games to be entertained, be loyal and hope for a cup win.

• Like 2

Who sets the transfer budgets? Who sets the wage caps? Who approved the "buy lower leagues and overseas - cheap" Strategy?

Too many people got carried away after the Arsenal result and parked their common sense. We may be able to pull off the odd spectacular result but ultimately our squad with a couple of exceptions is still poor and not fit for the Premiership.

So you want to see Lerner override the manager when it comes to transfer policy? That's a recipe for disaster if I ever saw one.

I agree that some got carried after Arsenal, but equally I think people are getting carried away now - it's pretty common on VT.

If our squad isn't fit for the Premier League then how come we stayed up last season?

Mike the problem is we are still a counter attacking team and have been for quite a number of years...that style lends itself to hit and miss as far as results and performances are concerned.

We get a few good results and as soon as the expectation level rises we come down to earth with a bump, like today...there is no overall progression, because we simply don't have the players particularly in midfield to control the game and dictate the play.

Until this problem is addressed...we will continue like today in letting the fans down.

Ps the simple truth is despite our win at the emirates and not taking anything. Away from us their players displayed the better skills/guile.

Don't talk rubbish, I never said Lerner should override, however I did say he sets the budgets for transfer and wages which is true. The manager and owner clearly agree on the strategy to buy cheap.

I don't consider last seasons survival and hanging on by the skin of our teeth as having a squad that is fit for the PL.

I think our shit home record and inability is to keep a clean sheet are reasons enough to have a go.

But you carry on, dreaming of Lambert and Lerner pulling off miracles on a shoestring.

So you want to see Lerner override the manager when it comes to transfer policy? That's a recipe for disaster if I ever saw one.

I agree that some got carried after Arsenal, but equally I think people are getting carried away now - it's pretty common on VT.

If our squad isn't fit for the Premier League then how come we stayed up last season?

Don't talk rubbish, I never said Lerner should override, however I did say he sets the budgets for transfer and wages which is true. The manager and owner clearly agree on the strategy to buy cheap.

I don't consider last seasons survival and hanging on by the skin of our teeth as having a squad that is fit for the PL.

I think our shit home record and inability is to keep a clean sheet are reasons enough to have a go.

But you carry on, dreaming of Lambert and Lerner pulling off miracles on a shoestring.

It was certainly implied, otherwise why mention it?

How do you define being "fit" for the PL then? If we're looking at it logically and objectively here that's the only way of determining whether a squad is "fit" to stay in the PL or not.

I never said those things didn't warrant criticism, but most of it isn't down to Lerner.

So being logical and not being dramatic is "dreaming of Lambert and Lerner pulling off miracle on a shoestring"? Whatever.

I'm still really happy with the work Lerner and Lambert have done together. Yesterday was really disappointing but Arsenal was equally encouraging. This is what it will be like, up and down, I hate the fact that as soon as we lose a game we fancy winning everything is 100% negative again. You don't have to be particularly optimistic all the time if you don't want but some realism needs to kick in. Lerner isn't rich enough to fund us with £30m each year any more, he'd have no money left in 20 years.

I know this is an unpopular position but I think we should dramatically increase ticket prices.

Take that money and help buy/pay for quality.

If you got the ticket prices up by an average of a fiver, and assuming we held an average of 37k, that would give you £3.5m to play with.

Even if it was twenty quid, you're only talking £14m, which is probably the cost of Kozak for he fee and term of contract.

I know this is an unpopular position but I think we should dramatically increase ticket prices.

Take that money and help buy/pay for quality.

You increase tickets by £5.00 each across the board that over 19 league games based on 35k a game will get you an extra 3.3 mill. Increase it by £10 a game you are looking at around 6.5 mill. Its hardly game changing money is it.

we cant even fill the ground with the prices we have but I agree with the sentiment.

Having won 9 league games out our last 40 at home and having been in the bottom six battling relegation for the vast majority of the last 3 seasons its hardly surpirsing is it.

In 2007/08 we averaged over 40k. We finished 6th. In 08/09 we averaged just under 40k. We finished 6th. In 09/10 we averaged just under 39k and had two long cup runs to fork out for and we finished 6th. Now for me whilst sixth is a decent achievement it is no more than I'd expect for this great club. Therefore if this club can live up to expectations the fans will come out and we will get close to packing out the ground. If god forbid we actually were to get ourselves competing for honours then there wouldn't be a spare seat in Villa Park.

I'm in my 26th straight season as a season ticket holder and I'm one of those fans that club owners must love in that come shit or shine I will go to the games. However I can fully appreciate that like most clubs we have thousands of fans that want to see a club that may be relatively succesul at least and have a more than fair chance of winning at home before parting with their, in most cases, hard earned cash.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

Â