Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Just wondering what sort of budget Lambert has this window? Does he have enough to get his first choice targets or is he restricted again in what he can do?

Well if we finalize Helenius and Luna as it looks like we will, we'll have signed 5 players for somewhere in the region of £10m - Lambert spent £23m last summer, and you'd have to think he'll be given that much again. So it could be that he has a few pricier players in mind, but wanted to first bulk up the squad, then sell some players to increase his budget again, then see what he can do maybe for one or two £7-10m players
Not a given. I'll not be surprised if another £5m signing, a cheap second choice keeper and we're done, regardless of what else comes in via sales.

This seems unlikely IMO. I think a portion of Lambert's transfer budget is contingent on getting the wages of players like Hutton and Bent off the books.

Since I believe that, this early spending signals Lambert has a substantial budget and will bring in a marquee player or two if we offload some wages.

Just my 2 cents.

If we look at who's left so far this summer:

Dunne (estd. Wages £55k p/w)

Petrov (estd. Wages £55k p/w)

Makoun (estd. Wages £30k p/w)

Marshall (estd. Wages £5k p/w)

Lichaj (estd. Wages £12k p/w)

Total Wages: £157k p/w (£8.164 p/a)

and compare it with who's come in this summer (plus adding in Helenius because he's expected soon):

Tonev (estd. Wages £15k p/w)

Okore (estd. Wages £30k p/w)

Bacuna (estd. Wages £7k p/w)

Helenius (estd. Wages £12k p/w)

Total Wages: £64k p/w (£3.328m p/a)

Positive difference of £4.836m approx.

Next, fees earned and fees spent:

Makoun (approx. £2m in)

Okore (approx £4m out)

Tonev (approx £2.5m out)

Bacuna (approx £0.8m out)

Helenius (approx £1.2m out)

Difference = approx £6.5m

Factor in positive wage difference (p/a) = we're only £1.664m out of pocket so far this summer...

So to actually come to a point on that rambling, if we continue in a similar vein, we can probably expect something along the lines of:

Bent Out (wages £60k p/w, fee £6-8m in)

Ireland Out (wages £70k p/w, fee £0 in)

Given Out (wages £55k p/w, fee £500k)

Bannan Out (wages £20k p/w, fee £2m)

Holman Out (wages £25k p/w, fee £1.5m)

Delfouneso Out (wages £15k p/w, fee £1m)

Wages saved: £12.740m p/a

Fees earned: £11-13m

Additional available funds (all going well) should be somewhere in the region of £22-24m for both transfer fees and wages, which would, for all intents and purposes, see a total net spend of approximately £0

That's not Lerner being tight, that's Lerner being very fcuking smart

Edited by P3te

If Luna and Helenius sign as is looking likely I think he will have spent most of his budget, with a small amount left over for a cheap keeper.

If he gets rid of the likes of Bent J think he wil get some of the money but not all and this could be further reduced by paying off exiting 'star' names.

I think those hoping for him spending £25m or getting all the TV money are in for a disappointment.

After these two and a keeper I think any future spending will be dictated by those who go out the door.

As for the spending last summer is was nowhere near £23m and most of the fees reported by the press were seriously inflated.

Thats just the starting point. How about the costs of paying off these players? None have asked for or will ask for a transfer so we have to as a starting point pay off the remainder of their contracts. Some like Given and Bent may well come to a deal on this however no a chance Ireland will so he will cost £3.5m just to get rid if he has 12 months left on his contract. In effect approx £5-8m just to off load this lot I would guess.

Said it in another thread, the problem with our defence was the amount of goals conceded through our mistakes, it seemed every time one of our team made even a minor balls up, the ball ended up in our net. We rarely made teams work to beat us, man city at home an obvious example, nailed on 0-0 draw the way both teams were playing, then clark decides to give them the goal, norwich away, Bennett wrestling a player for 5 minutes to give away a pen, Newcastle away, Holman failing to close down Ben arfa. Every time we made a mistake, we paid the price.

Yeah, that's highly unlikely to happen again tbh. If we made the same amount of mistakes this season as we did last, it'd be unlikely we'd lose so many points because of it

How do you work that out ?

Yeah I dont think theres any chance of £20m+ spending this summer unless Benteke leaves and we need to find a replacement. But even then I have my doubts Lambert will spend the £10-13m to find a ready-made replacement.

Wonder how much we did spend last summer?

Guzan - Free

Lowton - 900k

Vlaar - 3m

Bennett 2.5m

Westwood - 1m

El Ahmadi - 2.5m

Sylla - Reported at £2m but I assume it was more like £1m?

Benteke - £5m

Bowery - 500k

£16m? Wouldn't be surprised if thats similar to what we have to spend this time around (and for those saying they were hoping for a Benteke type signing this year, Okore?)

Okore - £4m

Luna - £1.5m

Bacuna - £1m 

Tonev - £2.5m 

Helenius - £1m

Roughly £10m spent, with (guessing):

Steer (200k? If that) 

Backup RB  

AM

to bring in until we're finished imo. £13-£15m again isn't out of the question imo. 

Said it in another thread, the problem with our defence was the amount of goals conceded through our mistakes, it seemed every time one of our team made even a minor balls up, the ball ended up in our net. We rarely made teams work to beat us, man city at home an obvious example, nailed on 0-0 draw the way both teams were playing, then clark decides to give them the goal, norwich away, Bennett wrestling a player for 5 minutes to give away a pen, Newcastle away, Holman failing to close down Ben arfa. Every time we made a mistake, we paid the price.

Yeah, that's highly unlikely to happen again tbh. If we made the same amount of mistakes this season as we did last, it'd be unlikely we'd lose so many points because of it

How do you work that out ?

Blind optamism?

Thats just the starting point. How about the costs of paying off these players? None have asked for or will ask for a transfer so we have to as a starting point pay off the remainder of their contracts. Some like Given and Bent may well come to a deal on this however no a chance Ireland will so he will cost £3.5m just to get rid if he has 12 months left on his contract. In effect approx £5-8m just to off load this lot I would guess.

You don't pay off the contract of a player who doesn't ask for a move, instead they're entitled to a loyalty fee, which can range from 2-10% of the transfer fee. If you're particularly desperate to shift someone, you might offer to pay them x amount per week to bring their wage elsewhere to parity with their current deal, but that's not something that happens that often tbh

Edited by P3te

The fact that you're using the Daily Mail as evidence of anything should've been the first hint. Do you genuinely believe that every single footballer who hasn't asked for a transfer gets the full value of their contract paid up to them prior to leaving? Why would we be offering Benteke a new contract if that was the case? Sure we'd be paying him half the value of his transfer fee back next year. Players aren't entitled to any such thing, but they can refuse to leave for less wages if they want, in which case the selling club, if they really wanted to get rid of them, would need to come to an agreement to either contribute a weekly amount or pay them off a lump sum to make up the difference. They're not legally entitled to do it though