Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Ok we are defn improving and have a plan. Just a question, what is our plan B? We play counter attacking football with same system. Other teams arent stupid and will eventually suss it out. We will need to mix it up from game to game. Bradford actually done it the second leg. Everone behind the ball and stoke done it at villa park

Ok we are defn improving and have a plan. Just a question, what is our plan B? We play counter attacking football with same system. Other teams arent stupid and will eventually suss it out. We will need to mix it up from game to game. Bradford actually done it the second leg. Everone behind the ball and stoke done it at villa park

Stoke stuck everyone behind the ball at the Britannia and we beat them 3-1. Similarly Sunderland hardly came out to attack at VP and we won 6-1. We can break teams down, we just don't seem to be THAT clinical with chances, Gabby and Weimann tend to love a good "should've scored there lad" miss, bless 'em.

Just watching The Footballers Football Show and when asked about Benteke he said something to the tune of 'nobody is bigger than the club' etc.. It wasn't a definitive no, which I suppose we all knew, but the presenter mentioned 20m and I would possibly be hoping for a bit more tbh. Nonetheless, I really do think Lambert is genuinely trying to build something here and that makes me happily optimistic. I like the guy and feeling good for the future.

He's pretty much just saying everything we already know. Lots of comparisons to Dortmund. Saying that even if the board sold Benteke it's not the worst thing that could happen because it gives you a chance to keep building the squad, and keeping the club afloat financially is more important than any player.  

Edited by PieFacE

Mike.... The last time I was this excited about a new season was during Saunders reign.

I am absolutely, utterly convinced, this guy has the right approach.

Sometimes, blind faith can piss us all off... Faith or hope without substance or back up.

I have seen enough, since February to get me excited offensively and realise there is a lot of work to be done defensively.

I believe Lambert knows all that.

Funnily enough I was thinking about how Lambert and Saunders compare. While there are absolutely fundamental differences between the make up of the squads in terms of age and experience then and now, Saunders always advocated the importance of "the team". He didn't tolerate Prima Donnas well, expected the players to work hard and press constantly. The style of play now is very different but the notion of building a "team" reminds me of Saunders approach. Like Lamberts, Saunders team were high scoring but he also had a much stronger defence. Lambert's challenge is clearly to shore up the defence. Sort that out and next year could be very interesting.

I think the gap between us and the top clubs is too great now (and maybe forver) to challenge for league honours or even a CL place but I am definitely excited by the development of "the team" and with the addition of a couple of solid defenders and maybe a couple of midfielders I think we could give more that a few teams the run around next season.

We can but dream!

Yes both managed Norwich before as well. Totally different characters though as Saunders was old school and tough. Andy Gray blames him for shortening his career.  The team of 76/77 was the most exciting team in my living memory and the 80/81 team the best one.

Concurred

Although he didn't say Benteke wasn't for sale, he didn't say he was either. I dunno, I think this is more down to Benteke now than Villa. If Benteke wants to keep playing for Villa then he will. If he's lost the desire to play for Villa and his mind is elsewhere I think Lambert will happily sell him to invest within the rest of the squad.

No player bigger than the club. You've got to think about future of club as well when selling player (meaning financially)  :excl: ...references too Lewandowski leaving and what if Benteke were to do the same ?? 

Lots of cool stories from his BvB days. Says Klopp will be hurt by Lewandowski leaving but will see it as opportunity to reinvest.

Asked about if Villa are trying to emulate BvB he said yes in a very round about way.

When you have the ability to perform in the transfer market it's a massive Fillip to a club

If we lose Benteke, which I happen to think would be a mistake on his part... I have the confidence Lambert will replace him.

My guess is he will give us at least another season.

As expected but still good to hear that he's going to stick with the same transfer policy this summer, young, hungry players who want to play for Villa.

Edited by packoman

You can come out and say a player is not for sale and it basically means nothing.

There is very little in terms of speculation that can intimate Benteke is going or staying.

He is a contracted villa player...until a firm massive bid comes in that's the way it will stay.

Paul Lambert has made it clear, that the experience that fans are looking for in our players will be developed as opposed to being bought.

I loved his quote about the transfer policy going forward. Waiting for the podcast so I can accurately quote him over in the transfer thread. I'm thrilled as I think this is the best policy to have.

I loved his quote about the transfer policy going forward. Waiting for the podcast so I can accurately quote him over in the transfer thread. I'm thrilled as I think this is the best policy to have.

Me too.

Comparisons made to Paul with Dortmund....some rye smiles from the gaffer.

Would like to hear this, where can the podcast be found?

Edited by mikeyp102