Paul Lambert

Pilchard

If we do stay up Lambert's signings will be so much better off mentally. I disagree with people who do no think we will be better off. Hopefully we can get rid of some big earners and then I believe Lerner will splash some cash but I feel it will be in signings like Benteke, young raw players who have potential who won't want 60k a week. One short term worry I do have, is how long till the likes of Guzan or Weimanns agent says Given/Bent are on 60k a week for sitting on their backside.

You can harp on about the start of the season being shit but it's totally immaterial if we manage to finish 10th or something.

It would be a great finish but it wouldn't change what went before it.

We finished 9th under Houllier but that didn't change the fact that most of the season was absolutely abysmal.

Lambert's signings and decision making are the main reasons for this poor season. Him starting to improve now doesn't change that.

I'm glad the improvements are being made and like I said I hope he becomes the manager I thought we were getting. But at the moment 2 wins against the 19th and 20th placed teams doesn't make the numerous mistakes and awful season so far disappear.

No but football is very much about the destination we arrive at (the results, league position) rather than the journey we had to get there. 

Do you think Sir Alex frets about a few bad periods of a season if he wins the league?  The low points in the Houllier season was absolutely immaterial at the end of it because we finished 9th and he and McAllister turned it around in the end - things were starting to come together and the things he'd been trying to get into place all season were there. 

Lambert is in a similar position at the moment - I agree that we shouldn't get overexcited because anything could happen but the signs are generally reasonably encouraging, wouldn't you say? We drew away at Everton, beat West Ham, didn't lose our spirit through the narrow losses to Arsenal and Man City and won our last 2 games - that's some good form. 

Lambert is in a similar position at the moment - I agree that we shouldn't get overexcited because anything could happen but the signs are generally reasonably encouraging, wouldn't you say? We drew away at Everton, beat West Ham, didn't lose our spirit through the narrow losses to Arsenal and Man City and won our last 2 games - that's some good form.

Yep I agree its encouraging.

Since half time at Newcastle when he changed formation we've picked up.

Which to me just shows how poor he'd been before and that excuses made for him were just rubbish.

I've got no problem changing my opinion of Lambert, I hope he does make me go back to how I thought of him last summer. There are encouraging signs now but I still need to see more.

• Like 1

You can harp on about the start of the season being shit but it's totally immaterial if we manage to finish 10th or something.

It would be a great finish but it wouldn't change what went before it.

We finished 9th under Houllier but that didn't change the fact that most of the season was absolutely abysmal.

Lambert's signings and decision making are the main reasons for this poor season. Him starting to improve now doesn't change that.

I'm glad the improvements are being made and like I said I hope he becomes the manager I thought we were getting. But at the moment 2 wins against the 19th and 20th placed teams doesn't make the numerous mistakes and awful season so far disappear.

No but football is very much about the destination we arrive at (the results, league position) rather than the journey we had to get there. 

Do you think Sir Alex frets about a few bad periods of a season if he wins the league?  The low points in the Houllier season was absolutely immaterial at the end of it because we finished 9th and he and McAllister turned it around in the end - things were starting to come together and the things he'd been trying to get into place all season were there. 

so can we or cant we look at past results and performances? :-)

The smile was the key there. :-)

Personally i think that results and performances from this season are very valid and we can make judgements now based on them. Things will probably change as time goes by and viewpoints no doubt, i suspect that is what DOL referred to as fans being fickle.

Personally i think that results and performances from this season are very valid and we can make judgements now based on them. Things will probably change as time goes by and viewpoints no doubt, i suspect that is what DOL referred to as fans being fickle.

I think it depends on the precedents you set yourself - a lot of people said that they'd at least give him the season and then judge him after, myself included - and that's what I'm sticking with. 

Football fans in general tend to have short memories and are fickle by nature - but I don't think that there's anything wrong with changing your mind if it's done through sound reasoning.

At the start of the season just after Lambert was appointed I remember there being a thread on here asking posters what they thought would be a successful season this year.

Now I remember A LOT of posters putting on to it they thought that avoiding relegation should be viewed as a success. I personally expected a bit more than that and I said 13th.

I was so badly hurt by the Bradford tie, I'll never get over it until we eventually achieve some kind of cup success again.

But, the Bradford fiasco aside (I wasn't bothered by the Millwall game because it had become all about our league form by then), if we do finish in that 13th, 14th, 15th bracket then surely that has to be viewed as successful??

The amount of money that the club has recouped from letting go of some of our big wage players for decent enough fees and replacing them with young and cheap. If we stay up with that kind of financial policy over the last year and a half, sorry but I will definitely be well happy with that.

It would give us an encouraging platform for the next Premier League season as well.

I think it depends on the precedents you set yourself - a lot of people said that they'd at least give him the season and then judge him after, myself included - and that's what I'm sticking with. 

Football fans in general tend to have short memories and are fickle by nature - but I don't think that there's anything wrong with changing your mind if it's done through sound reasoning.

Sound reasoning? I refer to my previous posts :-)

Richard.I hope the manager does well here but I think he ought to be judged on how he is performing rather than how you think he will perform due to washing hands in the same bog.

that may be putting words in my mouth, it may be misrepresenting my opinion , it could be described in many ways but it is incorrect.

I rated him this time last year and wanted him here, I thought then he was the man for us, I thought the same in the summer and at Christmas and I feel the same now. It is not based on meeting him. Just because you meet someone does not automatically mean you rate them you know, in fact quite the opposite sometimes as I have pointed out.

I felt we would have a battle at the wrong end of the table this season, admittedly not as bad as we have been. I'd also agree that results have been worse at times than I imagined or wanted. I would have also hoped that we would be clearer than we are at this stage of the season. But the fact that we would have a difficult season this year based on how the club has been run, especially in the last three years, was beyond doubt. Anyone else expecting anything other than a tough period was deluding themselves t be frank. However that does not mean I do not think he is the right manager for us long term, the unfortunate thing with judging someone in the long term is that that time period hasn't happened yet so is based on a presumption of future performance .

If he keeps us up this season then he will achieved stage 1 in my humble opinion.

And that is not because I met him.

I think that what we forget is that PL is also a young inexperienced manager in the top flight, he is also learning, alot of what has happened can be put down to inexperience by both management and players,

What PL has shown is that he is strong enough to work through it and not throw in the towel, If we stay up this year then there is no other manager that I would want other than PL.

My concerns were that he would lose the dressing room and we were on a downward spiral, after the christmas period I thought we were doomed as the players looked beaten.

Where we have had a go at him we should also give him credit, not only is the confidence of the players returning but we are also playing decent football at times, there is a light at the end of the tunnel and to turn off this light would in my opinion be crazy.

He needs another year to show us what he can do with a settled side with a few changes added in, I really think that this year will be viewed as the turning point.

As much as we say we're Aston villa and shouldn't be fighting relegation, it makes us as bad as Liverpool ans that say they should be fighting for the title.

I fully expected us to be in the position we find ourselves in now and staying up would be deemed a successful season. Look at the finance figures whee the wages and expenditure has been reduced. No one can honestly say they expected better this season. You can criticise his signings but I believe he had no other option than to go for what he has. He had it pretty comfortable at Norwich, he now seems to be loving the pressure and I believe he's handled it well.

If we stay up and is still a big if then I believe we'll be stronger next season because of it. Hopefully we'll ship out Given, Hutton and dunne and bring in 3 players like Benteke.

• Like 1

When Lambert joined I thought there was no chance of a relegation battle this year. As the transfer window ended it was pretty obvious we would be involved in one. However I never thought we'd be this bad. I never thought the season would have the lows that its had.

it takes time to turn a side around with a wage structure like we have in place now, we cant just sign proven quality that will improve us instantly. 

also the fact that under mcleish our players were sent out every game to try and get a draw does something to the players mentality especially the young players which we have alot of.  try have patience and in a year or two lambert will have us flying.

yeah teams arent built overnight, signing 8 players in summer and expecting them to gel straightaway would be a near miracle. Even the early days of Moyes at Everton they were in a relegation battle so takes time for teams to be created.

For what its worth staying up this year and adding to this team will benefit the club as the likes of Westwood, Baker, Lowton, Weimann maybe even Clark will all have learned from a full season in top flight

When Lambert joined I thought there was no chance of a relegation battle this year. As the transfer window ended it was pretty obvious we would be involved in one. However I never thought we'd be this bad. I never thought the season would have the lows that its had.

I don't understand your post, honestly. You expected us to be involved in a relegation fight, what exactly did you think that would entail?

• Like 4