Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I agree with you 'VillaCas' that Ireland should be first change over Bannan.

However for the run in i'd be inclined to bring Warnock back as our defensive mid instead of putting Clark in there. We're going to need an experienced head in midfield for the run in and although Warnock wouldn't normally be my first choice, he has proved that he can play well in that role.

Actually disgusted that Lerner hasn't opened the cheque book for the DM that we so badly need but thats for a different thread.

See Morph I knew we'd get on eventually

I wouldn't bring Warnock back but if he was, I think I'd then prefer a less destructive player than Delph alongside him - for me Delph and Warnock together would give away too many free kicks which we just can't defend.

I'd then go for

------------Clark----------

Westwood------Warnock

-------------Zog------------

Can't see it happening though - unless Lambert's agreement to exile Warnock was based on bringing someone in January which isn't going to happen and now he can use him (bit tortuous that one!)

Lerner has let Lambert down - I still see a guy who is giving it his best shot and deeply cares and so I've got to continue to support him - I don't see any alternative actually

Unfortunately Bent doesn't work hard enough for a relegation battle. That along with us avoiding paying Blunderland 3mill.

I hear what your saying, i really do, but he is a goal scorer and if we are going to go with what we have for the run in then Lambert is going to have to accommodate Bent into the team at some stage as Benteke will need a rest. We should actually be playing both together.

There is no proof that by playing Bent in more games that it will cost us a further 3m and even if that were so, better to play your best players available in a relegation battle than to do the opposite and lose millions more because of it.

I accept it to be the case ...

Lambert whilst I don't think has done a great job has been hung out to dry , I think it is obvious Lerner is prepared to accept relegation rather than find some money for players.

Said it over two weeks ago. Anyone who thinks the manager doesn't want a midfielder this month is very much mistaker. How many times does he have to suggest there isn't money available before people finally accept it to be the case.

Because we are fans mate. We want to hold on to any shred of hope that we may see some light at the end of this shit smelling tunnel. Deep down I'm sure most believe what Lambert says to be the case, but until the window is closed and we officially sign nobody I won't let myself believe that we will sign zero players this month. It's just too depressing to accept right now. At least when the window closes no other club can sign anyone else either so it makes the truth easier to deal with.

See Morph I knew we'd get on eventually

I wouldn't bring Warnock back but if he was, I think I'd then prefer a less destructive player than Delph alongside him - for me Delph and Warnock together would give away too many free kicks which we just can't defend.

I'd then go for

------------Clark----------

Westwood------Warnock

-------------Zog------------

Can't see it happening though - unless Lambert's agreement to exile Warnock was based on bringing someone in January which isn't going to happen and now he can use him (bit tortuous that one!)

Lerner has let Lambert down - I still see a guy who is giving it his best shot and deeply cares and so I've got to continue to support him - I don't see any alternative actually

There's no doubt that the manager cares. That has never been in dispute. His present record with us won't look good on his CV for one thing and anyone managing a team at any level right down to a Primary School team cares how their team performs as it is ultimately a reflection of the manager himself.

I also agree that the chairman has let the manager down, but the chairman has also let the fans down as well and the club as a whole by not investing in another two players.

Actually thinking about it, the chairman is letting himself down and probably won't realize this until if the worst happens.

I don't know what planet he is living on at the moment as he must think we have more than enough about us to be safe from the drop yet everything on the pitch must, must, be telling him otherwise.

I'm just wondering what sort of information he is receiving from board members who attend our games? 'Its going to be a magnificent rear guard action Mr Chairman, better than even Dunkirk!!'

I suppose with the sun on your back and 700m burning a hole in your pocket you have every right to be complacent.

Edited by Morpheus

But if that is the case why point the finger at the manager for the lack of signings? There is one man who is deciding there won't be any and he owns the club! I've been saying for a couple of weeks now it is crazy especially when you see all the other teams spending money.

I don't think it would take a great deal - maybe something like £4m for a good midfielder? I'd also imagine Lambert is very pissed off but that is the situation! I honestly can't see the owner having a rush of blood to the head this time and sanctioning a signing at the last minute - those days have gone I fear!

In terms of transfers the buck stops with Lambert for his summer business. We have needed a DM for a few years and he, along with McLeish, has not rectified it yet.

However, Lambert knows that now, but sod's law the money has gone for him to sign a DM. It's a shame and Lerner is doing some crazy things.

Edited by jacketspuds

I hear what your saying, i really do, but he is a goal scorer and if we are going to go with what we have for the run in then Lambert is going to have to accommodate Bent into the team at some stage as Benteke will need a rest. We should actually be playing both together.

There is no proof that by playing Bent in more games that it will cost us a further 3m and even if that were so, better to play your best players available in a relegation battle than to do the opposite and lose millions more because of it.

I think that the fact that Bent plays in LC and FA games but not league games shows there might be something in the £3m issue

If Bent doesn't go in this window maybe Lambert might be allowed to use him

That said I just don't think Bent is the right player for this particular fight - under Houllier we had wingers who could supply the ammunition - we just don't now. Not the best platform, but I watched Bent on Tuesday night and he just didn't look like he was going to add anything or was really up for it - maybe not a fair example

If we can use him I'd still go with Benteke and Weimann as my first choices, with Bent, Gabby and Ireland as my impact subs

In reality I think we are about at least 3 players short of where we need to be and so I do appreciate your points about utilising everyone at our disposal

I really feel sorry for lambert.

Lerner should back him all the way and give him what he needs to save us.

All the people attacking lambert just dont see the task hes got.

Lets hope we get a mad last day and sign 3 players.

• Like 1

Bent still got a decent amount of goals last year without any "real" wingers under a defensive manager...

True

I think it might be Benteke or Bent not both - I'd pick Beneteke in that scenario. If we play Bent I'd play him on his own with Weimann and Gabby in support behind

I know it is seductive to think of Benteke nodding it on for Bent but I just think that currently we wouldn't command enough in midfield to play that way

It's all opinion - I've got to trust Lambert and his coaches have more experience and knowledge than I have  (....cue "I wouldn't bank on it" comments)

Appreciate your points concerning Bent.

I would hope that when the window closes and with no further possibility of a move until the end of the season, then Bent will knuckle down and give 100% to the cause. Not only would it benefit the club in him doing that but it would also help him get the right move if he and the club still wants it?

However, i still have that awful feeling in my gut that we will get an acceptable bid for him before the window closes and the excuse will be that there wasn't enough time to bring in a replacement as the player simply wanted to go.

If that happened that would be the last straw for me concerning Lerner. 

One further point on Lambert.

He simply must stop chopping and changing the team.

He must choose his best team and stick to that allowing players to form an understanding, affording injuries of course.

Edited by Morpheus

Lambert is at fault, you shouldn't feel sorry for him at all. He signed these shit players, its his fault as much as it is anyone elses. He could have got some experience in but he went all youth and they aren't good enough.

Agreed with the above. He's also in charge of tactics and motivating these players and he's failed miserably on both counts so far. He isn't working in an ideal situation clearly but he still has to shoulder a large portion of the blame. I'm still baffled at the support he's getting from fans, given what Houllier and McLeish got.

Edited by Mantis

McLeish was never going to get any backing from the fans. Houllier came in and kept putting his foot in his mouth. At first, although he was correct, he said we were a mid table team. He then snubbed our fans at Anfield and every press conference had a reference to Liverpool. Lambert has gotten it wrong but he has respected the club, the fans and actually looks like he cares. He just needs to get the team performing.

Lambert is at fault, you shouldn't feel sorry for him at all. He signed these shit players, its his fault as much as it is anyone elses. He could have got some experience in but he went all youth and they aren't good enough.

What experience could he buy within the wage structure available?

Quality experienced players were not going to come here with the wages we were offering

Edited by AshVilla

Posters haven't just attacked Lambert on the basis of players he should have signed.

They have also attacked him on the basis of his team selections and tactics which he has owned up to as being mistaken on occasions and therefore those posters including myself, were right to do it.

However if Lambert isn't allowed to sign the players he wants in this window especially under the current circumstances then those who have criticised him, such as myself, might possibly afford him a little more understanding and sympathy but for me to do that, he must identify his best team, then play in a way that suits his best team and swallow his pride and bring those players in from the cold who might still be able to help us. 

Edited by Morpheus

McLeish was never going to get any backing from the fans. Houllier came in and kept putting his foot in his mouth. At first, although he was correct, he said we were a mid table team. He then snubbed our fans at Anfield and every press conference had a reference to Liverpool. Lambert has gotten it wrong but he has respected the club, the fans and actually looks like he cares. He just needs to get the team performing.

I know why those two didn't get much backing from the fans. What I'm saying is that I can't understand why Lambert despite serving up more crap than both of them is getting far more support. Just how bad do we have to get before people turn on him? There would be absolute revolt on here if either McLeish or Houllier failed to beat a League 2 side over 2 legs yet because it's Lambert many seem to be willing to let it slide.