Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Right assesment of the problem is alarmingly obvious numerous posts have stated that Lambert is Clueless this is obvious he has to take the blame for buying too many youngsters these players are hardly the same mold as Nicky Butt, David Beckham Paul Scholes etc of the famous Manure. I am concerned that Lambert is a bottle job he should have said the team was shit instead he said in the interview " I cant fault the lads effort" im sorry Paul Idiotic Lambert but my son puts alot of efforti n at school but he is hopeless at maths, and as for saying he wasnt gunna buy ( Ref page 232 Skytext) he said he was going to digest whats happend it dont take a rocket scientist to realise Lambert you **** it up you wont buy experience you will buy potential again because I am convinced they have discussed relegation in this meeting they had.

I am very very very worried i travel from essex to watch games Ipswich sticks out next season 45 mins away, Lambert show your worth manu up and buy the tools to do the job How the hell did you ever think UNEXPERIENCED players were ever going to take to the prem like ducks to water is beyond insane you are worse that mcginger he knew he was shit you cant even admit that.

Paul Lambert 2013 Villa manager making history sending them out of the premier league

Villa have used the second most players this season. Only Tottenham have used more. (1 more player used than Man City). Wigan, have used the least players.

It's a pity that the load of players that we have used are nowhere near as good as the load of players used by spuds and citeh.

I wasn't going to bother for a good while - I find the bed wetting and panic alternately hilarious or sickening, but icouldn't pass up a chance, on New Years Eve, to say something I never thought I would say..........I agree with Morpheus !!!

The responsibility for where we are and how we do is PL's, not Lerners. He had a reasonable amount of money to spend - ok we dont know whether players wanted to come or what wages we could offer (slight holes in Morpheuses theories) but he did have a bit to spend.

The question is, do you think he should have spent it like Morpheus thinks he should, or like PL thinks he should.

Now for me, I happen to have more faith in PL's judgement than Morpheuses, and more in Pl's judgement than all those other experts out there. I am happy with his approach and will remain happy with it regardless of some unhappy defeats.

But if you agree with Morpheus view that there were other players who would have been better signings, I don't see how you can then blame Lerner for some imaginery witholding of money. Although you certainly could blame him for witholding it a couple of seasons ago just as we were poised to crack it.

• Like 2

I have read some articles (I.e villa blog) today, stating if Villa lose today, it would be best if lambert went ??, it shocks me why people think sacking managers is the way out of the problem...lets face it, most of us wanted lambert, and I for one am happy he's here. Thoughts???

UTV

I'm not up for sacking Lambert but sometimes a position can become untenable and a manager may walk of his own volition

I don't think lambert would do that but all people react differently when under immense pressure

The fixture list over the New Year period could be kind to us with all our relegation rivals playing decent opposition so there is a good chance that even if we lose at Swansea today there probably won't be any noticeable shift in the league positions and points haul of 7 or 8 clubs so Lambert's position should remain the same (finely balanced).

Let me tell you there wasn't anything left. In case it has escaped your attention, costs are being cut. Martin O'Neill spent money as if it was going out of fashion before leaving, Houllier was a disaster - any manager willing to pay what he did for Bent needs their head read - and do I need to say much more about McLeish. Left a bunch of duds on more money, and by that I mean a lot more money - than they'd get at any other club outwith the top five or six.

If there was more money there it would have been spent. Same goes for January. If the money was there Lambert would sign experienced players from the Premier League as they are a much safer option - you know what you are getting. But they cost a lot more to buy (transfer fee) and a lot more to keep (wages). Hence why that won't happen. There will be a split in opinion as to whether the owner should bankroll another spending spree but the bottom line is it won't happen.

So, brace yourself for players from abroad. It makes more sense for Villa at this moment in time. Good players - perhaps more of a gamble - but costing less. Now you can bang on that he wants youth and doesn't want to spend the money but the truth is it simply isn't there, certainly not the amounts being branded about. That is the harsh reality. But it doesn't mean a better team can be formed for the second half of the season.

As for Bent, can't a manager change his mind on a player when it becomes clear they aren't interested. If you were to pick a player on more money than anyone else at your club and he isn't giving his all then would you keep picking him. No, you wouldn't. You'd decide enough is enough and look to offload them. Wasn't Bent part of the problem last season? Why allow him to be as big a part of the problem this season when he is draining the club on vital money?

No-one can say for sure we will stay up - it is a gamble and in an ideal world the owner would significantly increase the chances of us staying up by splashing the cash in a big way but once bitten, twice shy! Now you bang on about signing a centre-half isn't Vlaar one of them? Decent in my opinion. A decent striker was also required and if you are going to tell me big Benteke isn't all that and more than I'm wasting my time.

I'd imagine another defender will arrive next month and possibly a physical midfielder. Two priority positions. Add the return of Vlaar and Gabby to that, plus another possible signing, and we are at least back in the back game and in with a fighting chance.

Your point about it doesn't have to take years to get back to the top eight is ridiculous. I'm not meaning to have a go at you as such but there is only one way that was/is going to happen if for the owner to realise huge amounts of money which, as I've explained several times, isn't going to happen. There is a long-term plan here. Yes, it obviously hinges on the club staying up this season but to improve year after year it makes sense to try and bring in younger players although I do concede there is also a need for a bit more experience and if not experience then certainly better players to play next to them.

Watch this space as they say..................

Just a few pointers for you to consider.

There was more money made available to Lambert. Lambert was quoted in an article stating that Lerner had made more money available to sign established players but Lambert chose not to use it after Dempsey turned us down. That bid you remember went in right at the end of the transfer window so that alone pretty much blows your theory away about having no further expenditure available.

Your opinion on Bent could be right as no one really knows what has happened there. However if it had been the case of just poor form from the player, why then banish him from the squad altogether in favour of a complete novice? Why embarrass and alienate one of your best players like that when you've just presided over our worst start in Premiership history?

Finally, it shouldn't take years to make us a top eight team again. If we had kept Cuellar and Collins, purchased Diame and Adam instead of KEA and at least one FB better that Bennett then I certainly don't think it would have taken years to get us back in a more reasonable position.

I actually believe you have been brainwashed by our chairman into thinking that wage cuts automatically equate to fan acceptance of relegation battles.

You only have to look at Everton, who with the right manager, have been able to continually compete in the top half without spending shed loads of cash.

Edited by Morpheus

Let me tell you there wasn't anything left. In case it has escaped your attention, costs are being cut. Martin O'Neill spent money as if it was going out of fashion before leaving, Houllier was a disaster - any manager willing to pay what he did for Bent needs their head read - and do I need to say much more about McLeish. Left a bunch of duds on more money, and by that I mean a lot more money - than they'd get at any other club outwith the top five or six.

If there was more money there it would have been spent. Same goes for January. If the money was there Lambert would sign experienced players from the Premier League as they are a much safer option - you know what you are getting. But they cost a lot more to buy (transfer fee) and a lot more to keep (wages). Hence why that won't happen. There will be a split in opinion as to whether the owner should bankroll another spending spree but the bottom line is it won't happen.

So, brace yourself for players from abroad. It makes more sense for Villa at this moment in time. Good players - perhaps more of a gamble - but costing less. Now you can bang on that he wants youth and doesn't want to spend the money but the truth is it simply isn't there, certainly not the amounts being branded about. That is the harsh reality. But it doesn't mean a better team can be formed for the second half of the season.

As for Bent, can't a manager change his mind on a player when it becomes clear they aren't interested. If you were to pick a player on more money than anyone else at your club and he isn't giving his all then would you keep picking him. No, you wouldn't. You'd decide enough is enough and look to offload them. Wasn't Bent part of the problem last season? Why allow him to be as big a part of the problem this season when he is draining the club on vital money?

No-one can say for sure we will stay up - it is a gamble and in an ideal world the owner would significantly increase the chances of us staying up by splashing the cash in a big way but once bitten, twice shy! Now you bang on about signing a centre-half isn't Vlaar one of them? Decent in my opinion. A decent striker was also required and if you are going to tell me big Benteke isn't all that and more than I'm wasting my time.

I'd imagine another defender will arrive next month and possibly a physical midfielder. Two priority positions. Add the return of Vlaar and Gabby to that, plus another possible signing, and we are at least back in the back game and in with a fighting chance.

Your point about it doesn't have to take years to get back to the top eight is ridiculous. I'm not meaning to have a go at you as such but there is only one way that was/is going to happen if for the owner to realise huge amounts of money which, as I've explained several times, isn't going to happen. There is a long-term plan here. Yes, it obviously hinges on the club staying up this season but to improve year after year it makes sense to try and bring in younger players although I do concede there is also a need for a bit more experience and if not experience then certainly better players to play next to them.

Watch this space as they say..................

There was more money made available to Lambert. Lambert was quoted in an article stating that Lerner had made more money available to sign established players but Lambert chose not to use it after Dempsey turned us down. That bid you remember went in right at the end of the transfer window so that alone pretty much blows your theory away about having no further expenditure available.

Your opinion on Bent could be right as no one really knows what has happened there. However if it had been the case of just poor form from the player, why then banish him from the squad altogether in favour of a complete novice? Why embarrass and alienate one of your best players like that when you've just presided over our worst start in Premiership history?

Finally, it shouldn't take years to make us a top eight team again. If we had kept Cuellar and Collins, purchased Diame and Adam instead of KEA and at least one FB better that Bennett then I certainly don't think it would have taken years to get us back in a more reasonable position.

I actually believe you have been brainwashed by our chairman into thinking that wage cuts automatically equate to fan acceptance of relegation battles.

You only have to look at Everton, who with the right manager, have been able to continually compete in the top half without spending shed loads of cash.

Edited by Morpheus

Finally, it should take years to make us a top eight team again. If we had kept Cuellar and Collins, purchased Diame and Adam instead of KEA and at least one FB better that Bennett then I certainly don't think it would have taken years to get us back in a more reasonable position.

So Everton never had years in relegation battles a few years back?

So Everton never had years in relegation battles a few years back?

Everton's record in the Premier League since it was formed:

Home Away

Season P W D L GF GA W D L GF GA GD Pts Pos

1992-93 42 7 6 8 26 27 8 2 11 27 28 -2 53 13th

1993-94 42 8 4 9 26 30 4 4 13 16 33 -21 44 17th

1994-95 42 8 9 4 31 23 3 8 10 13 28 -7 50 15th

1995-96 38 10 5 4 35 19 7 5 7 29 25 +20 61 6th

1996-97 38 7 4 8 24 22 3 8 8 20 35 -13 42 15th

1997-98 38 7 5 7 25 27 2 8 9 16 29 -15 40 17th

1998-99 38 6 8 5 22 12 5 2 12 20 35 -7 43 14th

1999-2k 38 7 9 3 36 19 5 5 9 23 28 +12 50 13th

2000-01 38 6 8 5 29 27 5 1 13 16 32 -14 42 16th

2001-02 38 8 4 7 26 23 3 6 10 19 34 -12 43 15th

2002-03 38 11 5 3 28 19 6 3 10 20 30 -1 59 7th

2003-04 38 8 5 6 27 20 1 7 11 18 37 -12 39 17th

2004-05 38 12 2 5 24 15 6 5 8 21 31 -1 61 4th

2005-06 38 8 4 7 22 22 6 4 9 12 27 -15 50 11th

2006-07 38 11 4 4 33 17 4 9 6 19 19 +16 58 6th

2007-08 38 11 4 4 34 17 8 4 7 21 16 +22 65 5th

2008-09 38 8 6 5 31 20 9 6 4 24 17 +18 63 5th

2009-10 38 11 6 2 35 21 5 7 7 25 28 +11 61 8th

2010-11 38 9 7 3 31 23 4 8 7 20 22 +6 54 7th

2011-12 38 10 3 6 28 15 5 8 6 22 25 +10 56 7th

They have had a couple of weak years but I don't think Everton have consistently struggled like we have (forgive the formatting).

Edited by pacbuddies

It was only two or three years ago where Everton had an absolute shocking first half to the season. Probably not too far off ours. But within the next half they turned it round. With good investment now we can easily do the same.

Edited by PieFacE

Finally, it should take years to make us a top eight team again. If we had kept Cuellar and Collins, purchased Diame and Adam instead of KEA and at least one FB better that Bennett then I certainly don't think it would have taken years to get us back in a more reasonable position.

You refuse to accept the facts. There wasn't more money available. Same as there isn't sack fulls this month either. Accept it and move on. There is some money available but not anywhere near what you seem to think. As for Bent, trust me when I say he has been out of order. Attitude has been shocking. I'll not give specific examples. You say kept Cuellar and Collins but the pair of them were hopeless as well.

A few new faces will arrive but from abroad. When it happens you migh finally accept there isn't £10m to go and spen on one top player. There isn't even £5m to splash on just one as things stand.

Also, I'm not saying cost cutting means relegation battles. But cost cutting in your first year, plus trying to get rid of the amount of deadwood that Lambert is having to do, means it isn't as simple as signing a few new players and flying up the table. Get realistic. Everton have been built over years of Moyes hard work and that is the road Villa are having to go down so as much as its sore just now, I think you'd be better looking at the bigger picture.

Happy New Year :P

You refuse to accept the facts. There wasn't more money available. Same as there isn't sack fulls this month either. Accept it and move on. There is some money available but not anywhere near what you seem to think. As for Bent, trust me when I say he has been out of order. Attitude has been shocking. I'll not give specific examples. You say kept Cuellar and Collins but the pair of them were hopeless as well.

A few new faces will arrive but from abroad. When it happens you migh finally accept there isn't £10m to go and spen on one top player. There isn't even £5m to splash on just one as things stand.

Also, I'm not saying cost cutting means relegation battles. But cost cutting in your first year, plus trying to get rid of the amount of deadwood that Lambert is having to do, means it isn't as simple as signing a few new players and flying up the table. Get realistic. Everton have been built over years of Moyes hard work and that is the road Villa are having to go down so as much as its sore just now, I think you'd be better looking at the bigger picture.

Happy New Year :P

What facts? Show me where it categorically states that we didn't have more money available? How do you know we don't have more than 10m to spend on one player when we've already spent 7m on Benteke?