Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I'd say Lambert bought the right parts he just didn't buy high enough quality but I don't blame him for that as I don't believe anything like the required funds were made available to him both in fees and wages over the summer.

Edited by markavfc40

Pretty much this ^^

What worked at Norwich certainly wasn't going to work with us. Rightly, or wrongly, expectation levels are higher at our club for a start.

I have stated this before and will state it again. The budget he had to spend in the summer should have gone on one quality experienced DM, one quality experienced AM and two experienced quality FBs, while keeping Cuellar and if need be Collins. Those were the weaknesses that needed addressed first and he didn't have sufficent quality within our squad to allow him to purchase youth and Premiership inexperience.

What he did have at the club was a quality goalscorer who thrives on crosses but had been stripped of his supply. So alternatively, he could have spent his budget on two decent wingers to reconnect that supply to Bent while strengthing our midfield with Diame and Adam and keeping both Cuellar and Collins for another season or two. Benteke, Lowton and Bennett could still have been purchased as Diame was on a free and Adam wouldn't have cost much more than KEA.

For those who will come at me with 'but he only had 20m to spend,' well, he actually had more as he didn't spend all of his budget.

Clearly Lambert has made mistakes. He did target our weaknesses but didn't purchase the right players for those weaknesses and thats why those weaknesses still exist within the team.

100% agree with this Morpheus well spoken.

This is why im deflecting the blame from Lerner this time and the problems for me lie at Lamberts feet!!!

Hippo believe me when I tell you he didn't come in and decide youth was the way to go and that he didn't want to sign anyone over 25. Nor did he feel after the transfer deadline closed in the summer he had a squad good enough to shine in the Premier League. Nor did he "try to do the same at Villa as he did at Norwich".

As some of the guys have rightly pointed out, there wasn't a lot of money available and he had to try and bring in a number of players with one eye on this season and the other very much on the future. I think he has done a decent enough job in that respect (if you want to look at it this way the club could sell Benteke and pretty much get back every penny he spend during the summer).

Bent was bombed out because he refuses to work hard enough for the team. Got his chance - wasn't interested - and got bombed. Hutton is rubbish. If you think he is any better than the guys in there just now you're kidding yourself on.....the only difference is he earns more than double what they do. Nzogbia was also given his chance but didn't deliver and like Bent his attitude stinks.

What Lambert is having to do is continue to cut costs but at the same try try to somehow improve a squad of players that was a disaster when he took over. That can't be done overnight so to suggest he is another Owean Coyle or whatever is nonsense.

No-one is suggesting he is above criticism either but take time to think of the problems he has encountered and the fact there isn't a quick fix.

What you'll see during the month of January is one or two of the wasters I've mentioned leaving, reducing the wage bill, and two or three coming in from abroad. There is better value for money there and since there isn't £20m to spend this time aorund then some bargains will have to be sought.

The sooner you realise Villa will take years to sort out the better. Personally speaking, I think with a couple of the injured players back and a few new faces avoiding the drop is most certainly not beyond us. Look at the league table - we ain't in the bottom three and the teams above us can be caught with a win or two. Even if we slip into the bottom three I do feel we will improve from Feb onwards.

But don't blame the manager for a mess that was created long before he arrived. He'll put it right but it will take time and maybe this year we'll all just have to accept it is going to be a dog fight and keep our fingers crossed we survive.

No-one really knows how much money was available though? What we do know is that he did spend 17m-20m with more available. How much more we'll probably find out from tomorrow.

Secondly, buying youth before experience is normally Lambert's philosophy so he was going to do that from the start of his tenure with us.

Thirdly, if you were a International footballer, given the captaincy of your club team, stripped of that captaincy and then been dropped for a complete novice would that not affect your confidence? Thats not even taking into consideration the team being set up to countermand your strengths.

Lastly it doesn't have to take years to get us back into the top eight! What it does need is the manager to play to the strengths of the players he already has at the club while buying the right players to solve our weaknesses.

To date Lambert has done neither.

So what should he have bought? Older parts to fix his damaged car?

That's a rubbish analogy

I think it's quite a good analogy. I don't recall mentioning 'older parts' that is your misinterpretation.

What he should have done is buy the 'right' parts.

I think lambert has been a let down so far but really think about what he had to work with in the summer.

Forget the £17 million, it was a poor amount for the number of positions we needed to buy. Concentrate on the wages. Seriously what decent players would join us for the money lowton, bennet, Westwood and Bowery will be on?

Regardless of how many people said I told you so at the end of August it's quite clear the backing from the owner was piss poor.

Lambert deserves criticism but I don't think you can soley blame him for the players that were signed during the summer.

Pretty much this ^^

What worked at Norwich certainly wasn't going to work with us. Rightly, or wrongly, expectation levels are higher at our club for a start.

I have stated this before and will state it again. The budget he had to spend in the summer should have gone on one quality experienced DM, one quality experienced AM and two experienced quality FBs, while keeping Cuellar and if need be Collins. Those were the weaknesses that needed addressed first and he didn't have sufficent quality within our squad to allow him to purchase youth and Premiership inexperience.

What he did have at the club was a quality goalscorer who thrives on crosses but had been stripped of his supply. So alternatively, he could have spent his budget on two decent wingers to reconnect that supply to Bent while strengthing our midfield with Diame and Adam and keeping both Cuellar and Collins for another season or two. Benteke, Lowton and Bennett could still have been purchased as Diame was on a free and Adam wouldn't have cost much more than KEA.

For those who will come at me with 'but he only had 20m to spend,' well, he actually had more as he didn't spend all of his budget.

Clearly Lambert has made mistakes. He did target our weaknesses but didn't purchase the right players for those weaknesses and thats why those weaknesses still exist within the team.

Simple....if only Paul Lambert and his team had your insight

Hippo believe me when I tell you he didn't come in and decide youth was the way to go and that he didn't want to sign anyone over 25. Nor did he feel after the transfer deadline closed in the summer he had a squad good enough to shine in the Premier League. Nor did he "try to do the same at Villa as he did at Norwich".

As some of the guys have rightly pointed out, there wasn't a lot of money available and he had to try and bring in a number of players with one eye on this season and the other very much on the future. I think he has done a decent enough job in that respect (if you want to look at it this way the club could sell Benteke and pretty much get back every penny he spend during the summer).

Bent was bombed out because he refuses to work hard enough for the team. Got his chance - wasn't interested - and got bombed. Hutton is rubbish. If you think he is any better than the guys in there just now you're kidding yourself on.....the only difference is he earns more than double what they do. Nzogbia was also given his chance but didn't deliver and like Bent his attitude stinks.

What Lambert is having to do is continue to cut costs but at the same try try to somehow improve a squad of players that was a disaster when he took over. That can't be done overnight so to suggest he is another Owean Coyle or whatever is nonsense.

No-one is suggesting he is above criticism either but take time to think of the problems he has encountered and the fact there isn't a quick fix.

What you'll see during the month of January is one or two of the wasters I've mentioned leaving, reducing the wage bill, and two or three coming in from abroad. There is better value for money there and since there isn't £20m to spend this time aorund then some bargains will have to be sought.

The sooner you realise Villa will take years to sort out the better. Personally speaking, I think with a couple of the injured players back and a few new faces avoiding the drop is most certainly not beyond us. Look at the league table - we ain't in the bottom three and the teams above us can be caught with a win or two. Even if we slip into the bottom three I do feel we will improve from Feb onwards.

But don't blame the manager for a mess that was created long before he arrived. He'll put it right but it will take time and maybe this year we'll all just have to accept it is going to be a dog fight and keep our fingers crossed we survive.

A lot of this makes sense to me but you are stating it like it is a fact or that you have knowledge that generally is not known.

Is this just your interpretation or do you know something we don't

I think lambert has been a let down so far but really think about what he had to work with in the summer.

Forget the £17 million, it was a poor amount for the number of positions we needed to buy. Concentrate on the wages. Seriously what decent players would join us for the money lowton, bennet, Westwood and Bowery will be on?

Regardless of how many people said I told you so at the end of August it's quite clear the backing from the owner was piss poor.

Lambert deserves criticism but I don't think you can soley blame him for the players that were signed during the summer.

I agree with you on this

It's hard to defend Lambert after the last three games but given the very poor squad he inherited and the dismal resources he was given it is not surprising that we a struggling

No-one really knows how much money was available though? What we do know is that he did spend 17m-20m with more available. How much more we'll probably find out from tomorrow.

Secondly, buying youth before experience is normally Lambert's philosophy so he was going to do that from the start of his tenure with us.

Thirdly, if you were a International footballer, given the captaincy of your club team, stripped of that captaincy and then been dropped for a complete novice would that not affect your confidence? Thats not even taking into consideration the team being set up to countermand your strengths.

Lastly it doesn't have to take years to get us back into the top eight! What it does need is the manager to play to the strengths of the players he already has at the club while buying the right players to solve our weaknesses.

To date Lambert has done neither.

Let me tell you there wasn't anything left. In case it has escaped your attention, costs are being cut. Martin O'Neill spent money as if it was going out of fashion before leaving, Houllier was a disaster - any manager willing to pay what he did for Bent needs their head read - and do I need to say much more about McLeish. Left a bunch of duds on more money, and by that I mean a lot more money - than they'd get at any other club outwith the top five or six.

If there was more money there it would have been spent. Same goes for January. If the money was there Lambert would sign experienced players from the Premier League as they are a much safer option - you know what you are getting. But they cost a lot more to buy (transfer fee) and a lot more to keep (wages). Hence why that won't happen. There will be a split in opinion as to whether the owner should bankroll another spending spree but the bottom line is it won't happen.

So, brace yourself for players from abroad. It makes more sense for Villa at this moment in time. Good players - perhaps more of a gamble - but costing less. Now you can bang on that he wants youth and doesn't want to spend the money but the truth is it simply isn't there, certainly not the amounts being branded about. That is the harsh reality. But it doesn't mean a better team can be formed for the second half of the season.

As for Bent, can't a manager change his mind on a player when it becomes clear they aren't interested. If you were to pick a player on more money than anyone else at your club and he isn't giving his all then would you keep picking him. No, you wouldn't. You'd decide enough is enough and look to offload them. Wasn't Bent part of the problem last season? Why allow him to be as big a part of the problem this season when he is draining the club on vital money?

No-one can say for sure we will stay up - it is a gamble and in an ideal world the owner would significantly increase the chances of us staying up by splashing the cash in a big way but once bitten, twice shy! Now you bang on about signing a centre-half isn't Vlaar one of them? Decent in my opinion. A decent striker was also required and if you are going to tell me big Benteke isn't all that and more than I'm wasting my time.

I'd imagine another defender will arrive next month and possibly a physical midfielder. Two priority positions. Add the return of Vlaar and Gabby to that, plus another possible signing, and we are at least back in the back game and in with a fighting chance.

Your point about it doesn't have to take years to get back to the top eight is ridiculous. I'm not meaning to have a go at you as such but there is only one way that was/is going to happen if for the owner to realise huge amounts of money which, as I've explained several times, isn't going to happen. There is a long-term plan here. Yes, it obviously hinges on the club staying up this season but to improve year after year it makes sense to try and bring in younger players although I do concede there is also a need for a bit more experience and if not experience then certainly better players to play next to them.

Watch this space as they say..................

Is Lambert the 2nd coming of christ?

Can he turn water into wine?

Lets face it he'd have to be a miracle worker to turn the squad we have at the minute into a side which is not fighting relegation

We need a big clear out.... Half the team should not be playing premiership football

Cannot really blame him for signing young players from lower divisions or average players from foreign divisions who else wants to join us?

A = Were not going to pay big wages

B = We have been fighting relegation now in back to back seasons

Were very much a club in decline and have been for a number of seasons now.

Im sorry to say but the wage cutting and selling of our best assets along with dire managerial appointments is going to cost us

The damage has been done and it will take either alot of money in January to get us out of it or a massive turn in form for certain players within our squad

15 goals conceded and only 4 shots on target over the entire christmas period says it all

Were not good enough and do not deserve to be in the Premier League

Thank you Mr Lerner for your rubbish decision making which is going to cost us our status as a Premier League football club

Edited by AshVilla

Let me tell you there wasn't anything left. In case it has escaped your attention, costs are being cut. Martin O'Neill spent money as if it was going out of fashion before leaving, Houllier was a disaster - any manager willing to pay what he did for Bent needs their head read - and do I need to say much more about McLeish. Left a bunch of duds on more money, and by that I mean a lot more money - than they'd get at any other club outwith the top five or six.

If there was more money there it would have been spent. Same goes for January. If the money was there Lambert would sign experienced players from the Premier League as they are a much safer option - you know what you are getting. But they cost a lot more to buy (transfer fee) and a lot more to keep (wages). Hence why that won't happen. There will be a split in opinion as to whether the owner should bankroll another spending spree but the bottom line is it won't happen.

So, brace yourself for players from abroad. It makes more sense for Villa at this moment in time. Good players - perhaps more of a gamble - but costing less. Now you can bang on that he wants youth and doesn't want to spend the money but the truth is it simply isn't there, certainly not the amounts being branded about. That is the harsh reality. But it doesn't mean a better team can be formed for the second half of the season.

As for Bent, can't a manager change his mind on a player when it becomes clear they aren't interested. If you were to pick a player on more money than anyone else at your club and he isn't giving his all then would you keep picking him. No, you wouldn't. You'd decide enough is enough and look to offload them. Wasn't Bent part of the problem last season? Why allow him to be as big a part of the problem this season when he is draining the club on vital money?

No-one can say for sure we will stay up - it is a gamble and in an ideal world the owner would significantly increase the chances of us staying up by splashing the cash in a big way but once bitten, twice shy! Now you bang on about signing a centre-half isn't Vlaar one of them? Decent in my opinion. A decent striker was also required and if you are going to tell me big Benteke isn't all that and more than I'm wasting my time.

I'd imagine another defender will arrive next month and possibly a physical midfielder. Two priority positions. Add the return of Vlaar and Gabby to that, plus another possible signing, and we are at least back in the back game and in with a fighting chance.

Your point about it doesn't have to take years to get back to the top eight is ridiculous. I'm not meaning to have a go at you as such but there is only one way that was/is going to happen if for the owner to realise huge amounts of money which, as I've explained several times, isn't going to happen. There is a long-term plan here. Yes, it obviously hinges on the club staying up this season but to improve year after year it makes sense to try and bring in younger players although I do concede there is also a need for a bit more experience and if not experience then certainly better players to play next to them.

Watch this space as they say..................

You keep talking like you know all this as fact? do you? Yes or No?

Vlaars better than Collins or Carlos and Benteke is a great buy at £7m. Can't see were Lamberts gone wrong tbh, Westwood, lowton are better than we had at the club and Bennet, the jurys out.

We need a combative midfielder and a central defender to make up for the injuries we have picked up. On the subject of injuries, i think its a credit to Lambert that he hasn't given this as an excuse, its a major reason why we have started to flood goals in, Vlaar then Baker are both key players for us, when they get back we will be a much harder team to score against.

Could you imagine the fuss candle face would make if QPR had our injury list?