Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Can anyone who saw the game confirm what position herd was playing, the av Facebook feed said centre back... If so were we 5 at the back?

We played a back 5. The most frustrating thing for me was the lack of let's say controlled ambition. There were a number of times later in the second half where we'd passed the ball around a lot to take the heat out of QPR's game and either Lowton or Lichai could have easily moved up 20 yds on the right to give width in acres of space with Gabby and Bentekke central. We had opportunities to go on and win today without IMHO risking the defensive effort.

Villa fans need to learn the conecept of time.

Lambert has not had that yet, he has had the equivalent of 5 mins.

Whether we're playing like Barca or Bolton it makes no difference as neither would be the consistent way we will play once Lambert has been actually given time...

I suppose its not just Villa fans but all football fans.

• Like 4

We played a back 5. The most frustrating thing for me was the lack of let's say controlled ambition. There were a number of times later in the second half where we'd passed the ball around a lot to take the heat out of QPR's game and either Lowton or Lichai could have easily moved up 20 yds on the right to give width in acres of space with Gabby and Bentekke central. We had opportunities to go on and win today without IMHO risking the defensive effort.

Thanks for the update, weird change of formation against a relegation rival...was it working first half?

Am I the only one utterley tired of hearing people saying who we should buy ? The latest one is someone saying we should have Downing Barton Parker etc etc.

We had all this under MON too, people constantly wanting Player X,Y,or Z, and criticising him for not doing it.

You have only Match of the Day, Championship Manager, and the odd full game to judge on.

The Manager has a long Term Plan, knowledge of the ability, fitness, character, awareness, maturity, adaptability, an idea of the qualities he wants, and so on. Then there is the players wage demands, where the player wants to be, the players view of the Club, the Manager and the rest,.. then there is what other Clubs are offereing and all the rest of that.

For year after year we would come and watch the Team, support the Team, and debate tactics, performances, chances and the rest. Never in all those years did any of us waste time saying 'we ought to have bought Charlie George, who we really need is Alan Hansen..' etc etc. What an utterley pointless infinite line of debate it is.

• Like 1

Am I the only one utterley tired of hearing people saying who we should buy ? The latest one is someone saying we should have Downing Barton Parker etc etc.

We had all this under MON too, people constantly wanting Player X,Y,or Z, and criticising him for not doing it.

You have only Match of the Day, Championship Manager, and the odd full game to judge on.

The Manager has a long Term Plan, knowledge of the ability, fitness, character, awareness, maturity, adaptability, an idea of the qualities he wants, and so on. Then there is the players wage demands, where the player wants to be, the players view of the Club, the Manager and the rest,.. then there is what other Clubs are offereing and all the rest of that.

For year after year we would come and watch the Team, support the Team, and debate tactics, performances, chances and the rest. Never in all those years did any of us waste time saying 'we ought to have bought Charlie George, who we really need is Alan Hansen..' etc etc. What an utterley pointless infinite line of debate it is.

It's a football forum.. People discus things including transfers

Thanks for the update, weird change of formation against a relegation rival...was it working first half?

I guess kind of. We were more on the front foot first half but I was happy we went in at half time all square having been pegged back expecting us to go again and try and win it second. I must say I actually didn't realise we were playing a back 5 until the second half when we were defending the Villa end and it was clear Herd was in the back line.

You have to remember QPR were playing at full tilt, are in a false position , had a very vocal crowd behind them ..plus it was Harry's first game! Them playing very well in the 2nd half made us look bad. Take the point and look forward to Stoke and lets hope we can get 3 points because QPR won't be down there for much longer.

I thought we would have just came away with all 3 points today but not to be and considering the occasion and current situations it will turn out to be a very well earned point away from home to a team about to turn the corner.

I felt at one point in the game they were actually going to nick it from us but we held out and I will admit I was baffled at the time by the substitutions but after thinking back over the game it was the correct decision that turned out well for us and swung the closing possession away from them.

I feel if we had went attack minded to try and get more than a point by adding attack would have possibly ending up losing us the game.

A point away from home is not to be sniffed at by anyones account.

Also good to see PL adding Bent to the bench today showing there is no animosity between the pair.

Posted this in the Ratings thread for Lambert, wanted to get my point across in this thread as well if possible :)

Under Mcleish it was different. We all knew the bloke was inept. The negative tactics/substitutions were no different today under Lambert but there was no light at the end of the tunnel under Mcleish. He had no pedigree as a manager and would never be a success.

Lamberts subs today did exactly what they were meant to do, and that was to sure up the midfield and get that vital point at a club who will probably now go on and string a few wins together under a manager who is perfect for the situation they are in.

It was a good point today and will go a long way in helping us stay up this season, if not the point on our total, but the lack of 3 on theirs.

Ok, the football at times hasn't been pretty under Lambert but lets look at what he has done so far. He has already brought in Guzan, Vlaar, Lowton, Benteke and Westwood. These four players have easily been our best players this season. Just look at the other threads on the main board...'Westwood will be in United's midfield in 2 seasons time'...'We'll do well to hold onto Benteke at the end of the season'...

Just look at the long term plan here. At the moment we aren't good enough to go to QPR (who had a spring in their step today) and pick up three points but I'm confident in 2/3 seasons time, under Lambert, we will.

Our goal this year has to be to stay up whether it be pretty or not. There will be chances to play good football along the way and there will be times we need to dig deep and scrape a point in order to get to the magical '40' figure. Today was one of those times.

Lets stay up, lets back Lambert and let's be positive. I think this bloke knows what he's doing. Benteke, Westwood, Vlaar and Lowton are evidence of this.

I'm personally very excited to see what the team looks like after January and then after the summer. I have complete faith in Lambert and enjoy watching Villa play with the faith I have in him. Things WILL get better.

Up the Villa.

• Like 1

Lambert set up not to lose this game and we didn't ...job done.

I don't think its Lambert's normal style to be negative but I think he was accutely aware of the circumstances with Harry's arrival and also what happened previously at Southampton.

good post, and the interesting thing is the most successful team we ever had was assembled from the lower divisions and other first div teams second team players.

players we had never heard of ( relatively speaking)

I wouldn't touch Downing with a ten foot barge pole, i think we swum the ocean on that deal.

I'm with you, some of these NAMES will have us go back to inflationary wages and debatable performances.

without the badge kissing, we need players to grow and develop with us and gain what little bit of affinity is left. Everton do seem to be able to do it to a degree.

Villa fans need to learn the conecept of time.

Lambert has not had that yet, he has had the equivalent of 5 mins.

Whether we're playing like Barca or Bolton it makes no difference as neither would be the consistent way we will play once Lambert has been actually given time...

I suppose its not just Villa fans but all football fans.

More than a bit patronising when you consider how long we've had to wait for a decent team and success. No one expected us to be top eight this season but we didn't expect to be in the bottom three or some of our performances to be on a par with the Mcleish tenure.

On the point of Lambert tinkering with the team selection.

I must admit I do favour a settled line up, but only perhaps when the team is complete the ball players know where everyone is and there is a clear method to what we are doing.

We are far from all that and I suspect Lambert feels that his team vary in form and that with the lack of quality, we need to move things about to avoid being easily our witted.

Horses for courses, I think.

What a load of old toss!

I've never sat in amongst a group of fans who didn't discuss transfers and who they would like to see in their respective teams.

I thought we would have just came away with all 3 points today but not to be and considering the occasion and current situations it will turn out to be a very well earned point away from home to a team about to turn the corner.

I felt at one point in the game they were actually going to nick it from us but we held out and I will admit I was baffled at the time by the substitutions but after thinking back over the game it was the correct decision that turned out well for us and swung the closing possession away from them.

I feel if we had went attack minded to try and get more than a point by adding attack would have possibly ending up losing us the game.

A point away from home is not to be sniffed at by anyones account.

Also good to see PL adding Bent to the bench today showing there is no animosity between the pair.

TrentVilla stated before the game started that he thought Lambert would put Bent on the bench for this game to try and defuse the current situation with Bent. He was right!