Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I guess it just shows how much we've progressed that the discussion has shifted from results to style of play. I have to wonder though, if we start to play better and continue getting decent results, what will the focus be on then?

Why there have to be a focus on anything else?  There are to main bits to football.  Results, and style of play.  One of them has improved this season, the other hasn't.  If they were both decent, there'd be no complaints.

• Like 1

I guess it just shows how much we've progressed that the discussion has shifted from results to style of play. I have to wonder though, if we start to play better and continue getting decent results, what will the focus be on then?

Why there have to be a focus on anything else?  There are to main bits to football.  Results, and style of play.  One of them has improved this season, the other hasn't.  If they were both decent, there'd be no complaints.

I was just under the impression that even if we were both playing well and getting results there'd still be something to moan about.

• Like 1

Been a while since you went to the Lerner thread then, eh?

Forget last night. What about our embarrassingly bad home form which hasn't be addressed at all? Our away/home contrast is so extreme and unprecedented from what I can remember through all the years of watching football.

See Butterfingers - there are more than two types of people.

There are actually 10 types: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Sorry, don't get this.

Lambo's jacket perhaps.

Why he doesn't wear a Macron one from the club shop?

What the little badge was that he was sporting at Soton? Looked like a Santa to me.

Does he need to start dying his hair and stop wearing Sven specs?

All these things are really important.

Forget last night. What about our embarrassingly bad home form which hasn't be addressed at all? Our away/home contrast is so extreme and unprecedented from what I can remember through all the years of watching football.

Sorry, don't get this.

You'd be in the latter group, then ;)

10 is the representation for the number 2 in binary. It's an old geek joke.....

.. and I couldn't resist. Sorry. :blush:

• Like 2

Away from home if we can keep winning with little possession then long may it continue. But what is worrying is our home form. We cannot adopt this same style at VP as we can see it doesnt work. For all our great work on the road gets ruined by the home form and style.

I dont believe we have the skill and ability in our players to keep possession. Our midfields ball retention is fairly poor. I feel our movement is slow and having the ball is like hot potatoe. The only player who can carry the ball 5 or 10 yards is Delph.

Sorry, don't get this.

You'd be in the latter group, then ;)

10 is the representation for the number 2 in binary. It's an old geek joke.....

.. and I couldn't resist. Sorry. :blush:

All's ok oz, sorry to everyone for letting this slide off topic.

Edited by AVTuco

Didn't think it mattered where the points came from?

Perhaps he thinks you get more points for a home win? :D

The kind of person who would prefer to forget about last night & start bleating about home form instead will never change-I'd place him in the same category as the other bloke so imo there is only 2 types of people.

Interesting. o.O

I wouldn't give a toss where the points came from either, if I didn't pay to go to Villa Park.

Happy Friday... Looking forward to three more nailed on points at Craven Cottage on Sunday. We have a taste for mugging people in their own back yard now.

I was just under the impression that even if we were both playing well and getting results there'd still be something to moan about.

Probably still moaning about the moaners... :ph34r:

• Like 2

When Lambert feels confident enough in our position in the table to start trying to play possession football again at home and away from home (and picks a team that can play it) we'll see improvements in the home form. Not sure there are many teams that are completely different at hoem and away from it, set up differently sure, different focus, definitely. What we can't expect is the type of effective counter attacking team which has beaten, arsenal and southampton away and man city at home with very little of the ball, to suddenly rock up at home and knock it about in nice littel triangles from back to front patiently getting 60% possession and controlling the game.

Not realistic in my view. I much prefer the latter in terms of football style, once you are good at it I think it's much the better way of guaranteeing points (controlling games). What we are at the moment is in my view an intelligent use of resources to make sure we are nowhere near a relegation battle AGAIN this year and the club can start banking a bit more money from a midtable position and use that and increased confidence that comes from improvement, progress and stability, to kick on and build something long lasting and great in claret and blue.

Those worried about these tactics in the long term are assuming these are the tactics we'll be using in the long term. You think you're being long term, but I'd actually say you're being very short sighted.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

Those worried about these tactics in the long term are assuming these are the tactics we'll be using in the long term. You think you're being long term, but I'd actually say you're being very short sighted.

Exactly

Last season everybody was saying that defense was a problem, which it was, but Lambert was incapable of building a defense. This season the defense has improved, it's not perfect but there is definite improvement.

Lambert is not stupid so he'll be well aware that the home form is very poor and the tactics we're employing are not very easy on the eye. I'm sure that he'll be looking to address those issues as we progress but everything can't be fixed all at once. He should be given time, as long as there are tangible signs of improvement, to address these issues.

Obviously the home situation is extremely important, it's where the majority of supporters pay to see us play and is the bed rock of success. Again Lambert will be well aware of this and I'd be surprised if it wasn't high up on his 'to do' list to sort this out.

Edited by Ghost_of_Pongo_Waring

Exactly

Last season everybody was saying that defense was a problem, which it was, but Lambert was incapable of building a defense. This season the defense has improved, it's not perfect but there is definite improvement.

Lambert is not stupid so he'll be well aware that the home form is very poor and the tactics we're employing are not very easy on the eye. I'm sure that he'll be looking to address those issues as we progress but everything can't be fixed all at once. He should be given time, as long as there are tangible signs of improvement, to address these issues.

Obviously the home situation is extremely important, it's where the majority of supporters pay to see us play and is the bed rock of success. Again Lambert will be well aware of this and I'd be surprised if it wasn't high up on his 'to do' list to sort this out.

Good post Pongo... Kind of how I am hoping things will pan out. Though the hairs have stood up on the back of my neck at times, I am not looking for a change of manager any time soon.

Bring on the cottagers...

(I really feel for Morpheus going into this weekend's fixtures... I have a feeling some of his 'knockers' will have a field day if we bump Fulham, with Bent and Berbs in tow - keep the faith Morph...)

Edited by Raver50032

If we finish top half this season without another relegation battle then I'll be more than content.

I think top half finish would be right at the limit of my expectation. At the start of the season I predicted 10th-12th

MU, MC, Arse, Spurs, Chelsea, Liverpool should really take the top six spots.

Everton, Newcastle and Southampton should take places 7 to 9

I believe WHU, Cardiff, Stoke, Hull, Norwich, Palace, Fulham and Sunderland will be in the relegation battle and will fill the last 8 places

That leaves us, Swansea and WBA to dispute 10th, 11th and 12th.

If we get a decent run injury-wise and perhaps recruit a couple more in January there is no reason why we can't take 10th

The issue of course is what you call a "relegation battle" - given that as little as 10 points often covers teams from 8th to 18th in the final table, you might only be mathematically safe, with say three games to go.

Looking at the fixture list December, February and our run in from April look like they could provide a good points tally. January and March look tricky months - I would expect a few ups and downs but hope that we can hover between 10th and 12th and don't expect us to drop below 14th at any stage

Edited by VillaCas

(I really feel for Morpheus going into this weekend's fixtures... I have a feeling some of his 'knockers' will have a field day if we bump Fulham, with Bent and Berbs in tow - keep the faith Morph...)

I don't!!

I would have thought Bent's loan agreement would have disallowed him from playing - unless we have give special permission for him to play, knowing it will weaken their line-up ;)

Been a while since you went to the Lerner thread then, eh?

Are you saying that there's nothing to moan about where Lerner's concerned?!