Paul Lambert

Pilchard

You think we play good football?

We're currently about as exciting to watch, and have about the same points per game as we did under McLeish.

And McLeish didn't manage to stumble across a world class striker.

Who hoofs it to the bigman?

I'll give you Clark on 2 or 3 occasions on Saturday but apart from that, we always try to play it out & given the pressure we were under, I was quite happy to see the ball hoofed out of defence & into the opponents half.

Name me a goal that we've scored as a result of hoofing it to the bigman

The keeper, constantly. We don't play it out from the back, we pass it back to the keeper, who clearings in the woods it up to Benteke.

As for naming a goal we've scored as a result of this tactic, we don't, that's part of the problem. Doesn't stop us giving it back to Guzan to hoof it up a dozen times a game though.

So when you said "hoofing it", you actually meant the keeper kicking it out of his hands

Remind me again of how the goal was scored on Saturday

From Everton away back in February, we've been playing some good football. This is down to having a settled side & a bit of confidence. We've been at least mid table standard from then onwards. The midfield seem quite happy to be patient & its usually when rushed that players tend to go long.

This isn't going to happen overnight - We've got no money so we've got to build from scratch. We're improving & moving in the right direction. Lets just enjoy the ride.

Can you offer any evidence of this ? 

Yes-Look at the results pre-Everton & then look at them after Everton.

Simple really

What ? - We haven't played Everton this season. Have the players purchased this summer made us significantly stronger in any area of the park ? 

Because the improvement started from the Everton game. If you're going on this season alone, how many points did you expect from our 1st five games?

Stronger positions? Left back & central defence (before injury) Bacura is certainly a better utility player than anything we had & Kozac is a better bet than Bent.

In addition, some of the existing players seem to have kicked on a bit from last season, KEA for instance, Sylla is still improving. Clark has done nothing wrong since he's come in either.

Tonev at present has not impressed but time is still very much on his side.

"Let's just enjoy the ride"

You're enjoying this?

Enjoying what?

Winning at Arsenal? Giving Chelsea a real fright?

Yes I enjoyed those games immensely.

Liverpool & Newcastle were disappointing but the win on Saturday was welcome.

Not bothered about tonight.This time last year, we were hitting 4 at Man City in the same competition. It produces results like this.

As I said,its a ride. If you want a bit more consistency, you better pray theres some oil rich arab out there waiting in the wings, if not, wake up & smell the coffee. We're Aston Villa. We've finished in the top 4 about 4 times in 50 years.

Im not sure that is true - we finished 4th in 77, 1st in 81, 2nd in 1992 just from memory.

We don't have the funds to finish top 4 - I agree - but I can't accept that makes us confined to relegation battles. It doesn't help when the manager fails to get his priorities right in the transfer market - only buying one CB - One midfielder, loaning a free scoring centre forward - bringing in 2 big CF'S - which would struggle to accommodate even if they were playing well.

It hurts - But Lambert dropped some serious clangers this summer. 

You think we play good football?

We're currently about as exciting to watch, and have about the same points per game as we did under McLeish.

And McLeish didn't manage to stumble across a world class striker.

Who hoofs it to the bigman?

I'll give you Clark on 2 or 3 occasions on Saturday but apart from that, we always try to play it out & given the pressure we were under, I was quite happy to see the ball hoofed out of defence & into the opponents half.

Name me a goal that we've scored as a result of hoofing it to the bigman

The keeper, constantly. We don't play it out from the back, we pass it back to the keeper, who clearings in the woods it up to Benteke.

As for naming a goal we've scored as a result of this tactic, we don't, that's part of the problem. Doesn't stop us giving it back to Guzan to hoof it up a dozen times a game though.

So when you said "hoofing it", you actually meant the keeper kicking it out of his hands

Remind me again of how the goal was scored on Saturday

From Everton away back in February, we've been playing some good football. This is down to having a settled side & a bit of confidence. We've been at least mid table standard from then onwards. The midfield seem quite happy to be patient & its usually when rushed that players tend to go long.

This isn't going to happen overnight - We've got no money so we've got to build from scratch. We're improving & moving in the right direction. Lets just enjoy the ride.

Can you offer any evidence of this ? 

Yes-Look at the results pre-Everton & then look at them after Everton.

Simple really

What ? - We haven't played Everton this season. Have the players purchased this summer made us significantly stronger in any area of the park ? 

Because the improvement started from the Everton game. If you're going on this season alone, how many points did you expect from our 1st five games?

Stronger positions? Left back & central defence (before injury) Bacura is certainly a better utility player than anything we had & Kozac is a better bet than Bent.

In addition, some of the existing players seem to have kicked on a bit from last season, KEA for instance, Sylla is still improving. Clark has done nothing wrong since he's come in either.

Tonev at present has not impressed but time is still very much on his side.

OK - I stand corrected ......  irony/off 

You're enjoying this?

Enjoying what?

Not bothered about tonight.This time last year, we were hitting 4 at Man City in the same competition. It produces results like this.

As I said,its a ride. If you want a bit more consistency, you better pray theres some oil rich arab out there waiting in the wings, if not, wake up & smell the coffee. We're Aston Villa. We've finished in the top 4 about 4 times in 50 years.

Im not sure that is true - we finished 4th in 77, 1st in 81, 2nd in 1992 just from memory.

We don't have the funds to finish top 4 - I agree - but I can't accept that makes us confined to relegation battles. It doesn't help when the manager fails to get his priorities right in the transfer market - only buying one CB - One midfielder, loaning a free scoring centre forward - bringing in 2 big CF'S - which would struggle to accommodate even if they were playing well.

Teams a lot richer than us can ill afford a 60K per week striker getting splinters on his arse every week. There was no alternative but to bomb Bent out & for such a free scoring striker as you put it, why wasn't he snapped up?

I think Helenius may provide cover for Weiman & Gabby as well as being a CF. It was all about strengthening the squad within a very limited budget. I think if another player came in, it would have been a CB but they don't grow on trees & obviously with Bent going, a replacement for him was priority (given we have 4 CB's)

You're enjoying this?

Enjoying what?

Teams a lot richer than us can ill afford a 60K per week striker getting splinters on his arse every week. There was no alternative but to bomb Bent out & for such a free scoring striker as you put it, why wasn't he snapped up?

I think Helenius may provide cover for Weiman & Gabby as well as being a CF. It was all about strengthening the squad within a very limited budget. I think if another player came in, it would have been a CB but they don't grow on trees & obviously with Bent going, a replacement for him was priority (given we have 4 CB's)

He got splinters in his arse - because he wasn't picked. If transfer funds are tight - I personally wouldn't be loaning out a player with Bents goalscoring record to one of our rivals - If you would that's your shout.

But if we had £3.5m for Tonev & £7m for Kozak - then our budgets not that limited.

Yes we have 4 CB'S - Clarke struggled last season, whilst I like Baker he clearly has problems staying fit, The Vlaar Injury hit us so hard last season -I wouldn't have taken that chance again. Again - if you would thats your call

Helenuis looks some way off being to cover for Weiman\Gabby IMO  - Again your entitled to say you think can step in adequatley for those players  (I don't) 

We were dreadful but we came up against a very decent team regardless of who they had missing, and the changes we made meant there could be no continuity to whatever we achieved on Saturday.

I would have said that towards the end of the first half a few of Lambert's choices looked like they were going ok. Bacuna was having a decent game in midfield, Baker and Lowton looked solid to me, Albrighton was ok... The goal just before half time really kicked us in the teeth after we'd done ok until then. It changed the whole atmosphere. Then obviously the pen incident followed by the 2nd goal effectively killed us.

I do defend our manager just because I'm that way inclined these days after moaning so much about our previous chaps, but I do think we have to judge him on full team, Premier League matches at the moment. The circumstances going in to tonight's match made it hugely difficult. 

"Lambert Out" is an over reaction for sure, we are way off that, but he needs some positive momentum, because we are regressing from a pretty low starting point at present. There is not a lot that is right about us at the moment - poor defence, poor midfield with exception of Delph currently, poor passing, poor possession, poor creativity, poor offensively - highlights: Guzan, Bacuna, Delph and Benteke.

"Lambert Out" is an over reaction for sure, we are way off that, but he needs some positive momentum, because we are regressing from a pretty low starting point at present. There is not a lot that is right about us at the moment - poor defence, poor midfield with exception of Delph currently, poor passing, poor possession, poor creativity, poor offensively - highlights: Guzan, Bacuna, Delph and Benteke.

At last ..a poster who has an intelligent comment....why can't we say what we see without fans inferring we are saying manager out.

Its so frustrating as we were doing so well at the end of last season its almost like we're back to where we started again!

Before Newcastle I thought we looked very good at times too.

Injuries are going to kill us I fear this season.

• Like 1

Its so frustrating as we were doing so well at the end of last season its almost like we're back to where we started again!

Yep..it looks like back to square one....unless we can find some form from somewhere.

We were absolutely crap tonight and our managers signings and tactics were the reason. Yet again we started with a negative formation at home and supposedly all our front three were unavailable - bollox!

All but two of the starting team were Lambert's signings and IMHO few of the new signings are PL standard

Lambert stood on the line feigning annoyance as a very talented Spurs team took us apart! But I believe he purposely threw the game because he knows our squad are not up to it. Many may still believe that St Paul can work miracles but personally at the moment I have little faith!

Did anyone really expected anything else to happen from the lineup we had compared to theirs?
Blatantly obvious that we weren't going to give it a go. Ugly result but not as ugly as it looks, two last goals were a result of horrible individual errors. Should have had a penalty and some might argue that the second goal was hazardous play. Gave  "the kids" a run out, and thats that. I don't mind the loss one bit and I'm rather pleased that we're out the league cup and able to focus more the league from here on out. Our worst form last season was at a time with a lot of fixtures with the league, fa and league cup. We simply do not have the squad to compete in all three competitions. Tonights result is more of a reflection of Lambert not giving a **** about the league cup and not a reflection on how bad our team is.
I would not make to much out of this loss.