Where are the points coming from?

MikeMcKenna

You haven't mentioned the West Brom game, next up.

If we only get 4 points from the 8 games you have cited, we may as well start planning for life in the Championship. But I have high hopes we'll get more.

Newcastle and West Ham home and Reading away - I'd expect at least 3 from those.

Cripes, I thought I was the gloomiest Villa fan in the world!

Dont know why i missed WBA

Plenty of reasons to be gloomy but like every Villa fan I hope I am completely wrong and will happily have people telling me so if we get more than 4 points!! :-)

Looking at the next 8 games, I cannot see us stopping the rot any time soon. I doubt we will get more than 4 points out 24 so we could be down by the end of March :-(

Aston Villa v Newcastle L

Everton v Aston Villa L

Aston Villa v West Ham D

Arsenal v Aston Villa L

Aston Villa v Man City L

Reading v Aston Villa L

Aston Villa v QPR W

Aston Villa v Liverpool L

Can anyone see a light at the end of this awful dark tunnel?

We'll be lucky to get a draw from Harry's QPR. New signings, away from home they are dangerous - just beat Chelsea.

QPR will stay up.

Here are the results I'd target from each game.

West Brom v Aston Villa W

Aston Villa v Newcastle W

Everton v Aston Villa D

Aston Villa v West Ham W

Arsenal v Aston Villa D

Aston Villa v Man City D

Reading v Aston Villa W

Aston Villa v QPR D

Aston Villa v Liverpool D

• Like 1

Not beyond the realms of possibility of picking up 3 points at the Baggies - They're on a little bit of a poor run, local derby 'n' all.

Take that into the Bradford game, win that 3 or 4 nil and get to Wembley.

On to Millwall, lower league team, again it's not fanciful to thing that we could win that one also. Suddenly that 3 wins on the bounce, Fans feeling better, Team more confident.

Newcastle at home, on the back of 3 wins, again it's more than possible to win that.

Feb looks a tough month, nothing away at Everton or Arse, but again, beating Wham at home is achievable, we'd be on 28 points.

Look, I'm as pessimistic as the next Villa fan. We're absolutely dreadful at the moment and look nailed on certs for the drop playing like this - I can't see where the next win is coming from either.

But, saying that, as hopeless as it may appear, if we all say things like "I've already given up", "I've already accepted relegation" etc then we may as well all pack up and go home now, yeah!?

Momentum and confidence should not be underestimated in football - they are, in my opinion, the two most important factors. Another really important thing to take into account in football is 'turning-points'.

For me, the Chelsea game has (so far) been the turning point in our season. Up until then, we were struggling but playing fairly decent in some games and even picking up the odd impressive win (Liverpool & Norwich). Since the Chelsea mauling, we've just looked like a side bereft of any confidence and certainly any momentum. We've been stopped in our tracks and the players barely look like they've played the game before since that confidence-sapping defeat.

That's where we are now. But, why can't we use a crucial derby game like Albion on Saturday as a positive springboard and another turning point in our season? An unexpected win there - which is possible given their poor form and injured players - could literally prove massive. It could bring back that confidence and help us build up some much-needed momentum as we have none at present.

We've got former players like Carew saying they would play for the club for free to get us out of this mess and others like Laursen also declaring his love for the club and wishing he could lace up his boots again. These former players seem up for the fight!

Yes, things are grim. But it's not over yet and if we're going to be relegated, let's go down fighting and at least give ourselves every chance by backing the Villa 100% and believing that we can get out of this mess. After all, we've done it before!!

(No, I'm not Winston Churchill)

Having looked at our remaining fixtures I can assure you if our points are going to come from anywhere then they'll come at home. We have a terrible away schedule left.

Trips to

West Brom currently 3rd in the home league table. Yes THIRD. Only the Mancs are higher.

Everton currently 5th.

Arsenal only 11th although they hardly qualify as a soft touch

Reading 16th although the pressure of the 6 pointer will be immense

Stoke 6th in the home league.

Man Utd ... guess ... yes, top.

Norwich, grudge match, they're 10th and will want to relegate us.

Wigan only 19th in the home league but try telling me they'll be a cake walk on the final day if there's still anything at all to play for.

So even the 'lower' ranked sides are either in a false position (Arsenal) or will be hugely motivated. Not even a relatively easy match in the whole bunch.

If we get a point at West Brom on Saturday that would definitely be a positive. However a win against Newcastle would be absolutely massive, to beat a relegation rival could do wonders for us and give us good platform to go into February from.

Having looked at our remaining fixtures I can assure you if our points are going to come from anywhere then they'll come at home. We have a terrible away schedule left.

Trips to

West Brom currently 3rd in the home league table. Yes THIRD. Only the Mancs are higher.

Everton currently 5th.

Arsenal only 11th although they hardly qualify as a soft touch

Reading 16th although the pressure of the 6 pointer will be immense

Stoke 6th in the home league.

Man Utd ... guess ... yes, top.

Norwich, grudge match, they're 10th and will want to relegate us.

Wigan only 19th in the home league but try telling me they'll be a cake walk on the final day if there's still anything at all to play for.

So even the 'lower' ranked sides are either in a false position (Arsenal) or will be hugely motivated. Not even a relatively easy match in the whole bunch.

OK, need to have a look at our remaining home games then.

Newcastle - 19th in the away table. In a very poor run of form but have some good injured players coming back, e.g. Cabaye.

West Ham - 16th only won 2 and drawn 2 all season

Man C - Hmmm, 3rd. Only dropped 7 points away.

QPR - 18th. Only won 1 game away but it was Chelsea and 'Arry will have loads of new players in the squad - we won't by the look of things

Liverpool - 8th. Don't see us getting much there.

Fulham - 11th. Draw most likely here I expect

Sunderland - 10th, As above

Chelsea - 2nd. Away is where they get their points, so nothing from this one.

That looks a bit better. 11 points at least from this batch.

Of course, that's no good unless we can get a few points away as well.

Our destiny lies in our own hands

The way we have been playing it is debatable we will get another point this season.

However it is all about us.. not the opposition. We can beat nobody or just about everybody

If you can beat Liverpool,City and Norwich way, you can beat anyone.

Its our form that is the key and the manager must know what he has to do.

we either limp lamely in to the Championship or roll our sleeves up ( and I mean everyone RL/PF/PL the fans /the players the lot) and fight like bloody hell.

metaphorically speaking of course.

With my optimist head on I had us on 29 points by the time we play Norwich away. I have a sneaky feeling that a safe bunch of Norwich players would not want to relegate Lambert, if he is still in charge of us. I can see us getting at least a point there, lose to Chelsea and then it's off to Wigan maybe needing a win to stay up.

The pessimist in me sees us getting to only 25 points by the time we get to Norwich and them beating us, making it mathematically impossible for us to stay up.

I agree with Dakid about Southampton. I think they have just made a monumental mistake by sacking Adkins. Maybe in the summer after keeping them up but not now when they are fighting for survival. I can see that going pear-shaped and them going down. But, I can't help but think that old Redknapp is going to pull it out the bag again and keep QPR up. Wigan are perennial survivors so it could be us and Reading that go with the saints.

I hate asking this but am I alone in fearing that we may finish bottom of the league? 5 points isn't so hard to make up when you take into account we have to still play those below us.

Â