accident advice

Jimzk5

In middle of December my missus rolled into the car infront, no damage done what so ever, the driver she hit agreed to leave it

Today she's got a call from her insurance company claiming damages for the car and 3 passengers when there wasn't any in the car but also there's no other witnesses to confirm or deny it. Shes in peices, any advice?

What is the damage they are claiming for. How fast was she travelling when she knocked into the car?

Someone's spied a Personal Injury opportunity.

Stick to her story.... when the forms come through there is a box saying something like "Are you prepared to go to Court over this" make sure you say yes.

Possibly make an appointment with a solicitor

Speak to your insurer.....explain her point of view and the speed of the accident... tell them that the notion of personal injury is or damage is bollocks (if it is/was) and that you will not accept any settlement that is detrimental to your record.

Same happened to me, I pulled out about 2 ft into a lane (it was entirely my fault) and the car coming passed me took my license plate off and was wedged in the wheel arch.

I was shitting myself obviously and ran over to the car, there was a woman around 50 and two passengers, sat in the back seats who were about 30. I asked them all if they were ok and all of them said 'I'm fine, I'm not hurt and there's nothing to worry about, accidents happen'.

Then 3 months later I had the same call..

iirc 3 years is the limit.

Did they exchange details at the scene? I presume so or how did they know who to contact?

I presume the Police weren't contacted?

I'd also contact the Police, in case your insurance company don't and explain that there was no damage and certainly no other passengers. It's fraud (2006 Fraud Act). The Police may choose to investigate, it may be possible for them to prove that the other passengers were elsewhere e.g. work or some such place.

No details were exchanged bicks. Speaking to someone that works in this field has said as above, what they are doing is fraud, and the fact there is no damage to our car is proof they are trying it on. Bastards.

I hate this claim culture it is ridiculous. Best of luck with it, accidents do happen and she shouldn't get too upset about it.

Is it best practice to call the police every time there is a prang just to prove that no one is mortally wounded...?

Also, what is the worse that could happen in this scenario? Court and a fine?

I hate this claim culture it is ridiculous. Best of luck with it, accidents do happen and she shouldn't get too upset about it.

Is it best practice to call the police every time there is a prang just to prove that no one is mortally wounded...?

Also, what is the worse that could happen in this scenario? Court and a fine?

Hopefully nothing will come of it, best case scenario it goes to court and they rightly get **** for making a fraudulent claim. As i said there's isnt even a scrath on our car and it will be easy to prove the accident wasn't fast enough to cause whiplash (I assume that's what there claiming) let alone the fact there lying about having extra passengers in the car. I'm fuming about it.

had a similar thing a few years ago, car infront stalled at an island just after they had started to pull out and I was following them, I just about touched their rear bumper, no damage to either car, same as you Jim, couple of months later I get a letter claiming I rammed into the back of them causing damage and whiplash, unfortunately I out the country for a few years shortly afterwardf so have no idea if the Insurance company fought the claim as they indicated they might, I bloody hope so, I hope they arranged a gang rape for the lying git and tore him a new arsehole as a lesson. Best of luck Jim, I'd like to say cheets and lyers don't prosper, but unfortunately it appears they actually do in this day and age, Truth and whats right and fair don't seem to matter much anymore.

I work for the direct line group (it covers churchill, direct line, prudential, privilege, NIG etc etc)

you wont have anything to worry about mate, speak to your insurance and they will arrange for an engineer to come out and inspect your car, they will just check to see if the damage to your car (if there is any) is consistent with the damage/injuries that the other turds are claiming for, as soon as the engineer see's that there is no damage to your car they will inform your insurance company they will forward the photo's that the engineer took and the claim will be thrown out.

as I say just have a word with your insurance and they will sort it all for you

I work for the direct line group (it covers churchill, direct line, prudential, privilege, NIG etc etc)

you wont have anything to worry about mate, speak to your insurance and they will arrange for an engineer to come out and inspect your car, they will just check to see if the damage to your car (if there is any) is consistent with the damage/injuries that the other turds are claiming for, as soon as the engineer see's that there is no damage to your car they will inform your insurance company they will forward the photo's that the engineer took and the claim will be thrown out.

as I say just have a word with your insurance and they will sort it all for you

To be honest, thats not the view we have in the bodily injury claims dept in Bromley. Where in DL Are you? Frankly, it's insane trying to defend these at the moment if it's straight forward. Unless there literally is no damage whatsoever, then a Birkenhead or Liverpool judge is going to allow the usual bulk issuing local solicitors to present the same old bent cut and paste medical reports and accept them. Its not economic to defend them, £20k post trial legal costs vs £5k pre lit settlement? The solicitors love it when we try and run these.... And usually the insured hasnt told the insurer about the trivial bump til its too late, so the third party gets his car fixed with authority from a bent engineer, (and I suspect garages/storage yards are often making damage worse to justify the reports and associated hire/storage charges). I've never known low speed whiplash claims to be SO prevelant as they are at the moment.

The best angle Jim has here is to go at the "there were not 3 in the car" but his missus is going to have to be a damn good witness, or else insurers wont run it. If she didnt look in the car, and confirm that say kids can't have been lying on the floor after the accident, then its no use running to court.

I would say that using minimum logic it should not be too hard to acess the damage to your car and figure out from that how fast your missus was travelling and, more importantly that they should be able to figure out if the speed was fast enough to hurt passengers in another car ( I take it the injured passengers were wearing seat belts )

I would say that you may even be able to counte-rclaim against the other persons obvious lies on an official matter.

Â