Formula One - 2013

BOF

Anderson even says what I said above in the article you quoted. Had Webber passed Grosjean he would or could have caught Vettel. As for the lead car getting the 'better' strategy. That only applies if all things are equal. If you believe that Webber was using his tyres up more quickly than Vettel then not all things are equal and it becomes sensible to put that car on the strategy that has more fresh rubber. And it would have worked for Mark too if he was better at overtaking.

There is a case for Webber using his tyres up quicker, as he weighs in almost 5kg heavier than Vettel.

Still, he did question the 3 pit strategy while still in the race, knowing that while it didn't take him out of contention - it certainly did help Vettel a great deal.

You can spin it both ways I suppose but one of the things I had in my mind as I sat down to watch this was being that Webber was on pole how would Red Bull handle getting Webber to concede track position to Vettel and the way it happened was very convenient for them.

On a related matter did anyone see the program on BBC 2 on Sunday night "How to build a supercar", it was well worth a watch as it was all about McLaren and their new supercar they are producing. I only ask because Ron Dennis was in it a far bit and one of the comments he made was basically coming 2nd doesnt count................I wonder where finish 9th, 10th and 11th counts in his scale.

It does make you wonder how much the building of the new factory and the production of the car somehow meant that McLaren took their eye of F1 for a short time and havent caught up this season.

No I didn't see that programme. I don't know how many of the team that would design a McLaren production car are involved in the F1 operation. I'd like to think as few as possible and perhaps even none of them. So I'd hope it didn't impact on their F1 season at all. No I think they're just having a bad season in the way all teams do at some point. It's entirely possible that they've abandoned this season from a development perspective and put all of their F1 brains and resources full-time on the 2014 car which will give them a great opportunity to get straight back to the front of the field owing to the amount of changes coming up.

As for Ron. He might argue in private that if he was still in charge of the F1 operation they wouldn't be 9th, 10th or 11th :) I remember a quote he often used was 'you show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser'.

I'm going easy on their drivers this season because it would be too easy to put some of the failings down on them. Particularly on Perez. But knowing what Button is capable of, I think I'll cut them some slack and am willing to believe they're just driving a complete dog this season and hope it's a one off.

Lewis Hamilton convinced Sebastian Vettel can match Alberto Ascari record

ferr-500-asca-nurb-1952-470x264.jpg

Lewis Hamilton is convinced Sebastian Vettel can go on to equal one of Formula One’s all-time great records.

Vettel’s total domination of the second half of the current campaign continued on Sunday with his tactical win in the Japanese Grand Prix.

The 26-year-old German has now won five races in a row, setting a personal best record, and moving himself within touching distance of a fourth consecutive world title.

Given the formidable form of Red Bull and Vettel, it is possible he could take the chequered flag in the final four races in India, Abu Dhabi, the United States and Brazil.

If Vettel can pull off such a feat he would match the record mark of nine straight wins set by Ferrari’s Alberto Ascari, spanning the end of the 1952 season and the start of 1953.

Not even Michael Schumacher, given all the records he established for himself throughout his time in F1 which includes seven championships, could not come close to Ascari, with seven wins his best run.

Asked whether Vettel could win the last four, Hamilton replied: “If he doesn’t have any reliability issues, most likely. He’s just walking it.”

The sentiment was obvious - that Vettel is currently in a league of his own at present and that a record-equalling run is on.

The same message came from Lotus, despite the fact they appear to be Red Bull’s closest rivals on track at present.

Romain Grosjean certainly gave Vettel a run for his money at Suzuka, leading for 26 of the opening 28 laps, only for Red Bull’s superior strategy to pay dividends.

That's one record I sincerely hope he does not match or break. There are some records I never want to see broken and that's one of them. Not even for the reason that, by definition, it would mean a period of unparalleled uncompetitiveness within F1.

Interesting comments from Chilton today saying he deserves a second season despite only finishing ahead of bianci once when both having finished and consistently being a second slower in qualifying.

In short, your talking shit max.

I saw Chilton talk about pay drivers in F1 while keeping a straight face at the start of the season, talking as if he wasn't one.

I saw that interview too, think it was on the sky f1 show

My issue with Chilton is that he has no pedigree in the lower formulas, no success at junior level, he doesn't deserve to be, let alone belong in to be in a formula 1 car, even a pig of a car like the marrusia.

for what its worth I dont see Chilton in f1 next year, McLaren will look to get Kevin Magnuson in there

Yeah it was the Sky F1 show and you're right on everything else too. That he doesn't belong there and won't be there next season. Maybe Kevin will fulfil the potential his father had, but never showed.

Toro Rosso have announced 19 year old Russian, Daniil Kvyat, as Ricciardo's replacement for 2014.

Toro Rosso have announced that 19-year-old Russian Daniil Kvyat will replace Red Bull-bound Daniel Ricciardo for 2014.

russian_2709260b.jpg

Kyvat's selection by Red Bull's sister team caught the paddock by surprise with Portuguese Antonio Felix da Costa having been the favourite to partner Frenchman Jean-Eric Vergne.

The GP3 driver - Kvyat lies second in the standings behind Facu Regalia with only the final round in Abu Dhabi remaining - will be the second Russian to compete in Formula One after Vitaly Petrov.

Sauber are also considering promoting Russian teenager Sergei Sirotkin to a race seat ahead of the country's inaugural grand prix in the Black Sea resort of Sochi next year.

Red Bull motorsport advisor Helmut Marko said Kvyat had impressed while driving for Toro Rosso in the Silverstone young driver test in July and also during a straightline test with Red Bull last week.

Toro Rosso have announced that 19-year-old Russian Daniil Kvyat will replace Red Bull-bound Daniel Ricciardo for 2014.

Kyvat's selection by Red Bull's sister team caught the paddock by surprise with Portuguese Antonio Felix da Costa having been the favourite to partner Frenchman Jean-Eric Vergne.

The GP3 driver - Kvyat lies second in the standings behind Facu Regalia with only the final round in Abu Dhabi remaining - will be the second Russian to compete in Formula One after Vitaly Petrov.

Sauber are also considering promoting Russian teenager Sergei Sirotkin to a race seat ahead of the country's inaugural grand prix in the Black Sea resort of Sochi next year.

Red Bull motorsport advisor Helmut Marko said Kvyat had impressed while driving for Toro Rosso in the Silverstone young driver test in July and also during a straightline test with Red Bull last week.

McLaren might be worth watching this weekend.

Indian GP: Jenson Button and McLaren go radical in 2014 preparation

Jenson Button will be using a radical set-up at this weekend's Indian Grand Prix to find out if McLaren can unlock a secret for its 2014 Formula 1 car.

Amid a disappointing campaign in which Button nor team-mate Sergio Perez has scored a podium finish, the 2009 world champion reckons McLaren's lack of competitiveness is giving an opportunity to try something very different.

"You definitely go places with the car that you would not normally do because you would be worried about giving points away if the weekend went wrong," said Button, when asked by AUTOSPORT about the lessons taken on board this season.

"Here I have a set-up on my car that is completely different to any other race we have had the last couple of years - just to see where we are. It might help us next year.

"We are in a position where we can do that because we are not fighting for winning races, podiums or the championship so there are some positives to take out of it. And there aren't many in a difficult season."

With McLaren focused on ensuring it does a better job for 2014, Button says there are several areas where it has been able to experiment.

"You learn where you cannot put things in terms of front wing angles and how the airflow is over the car," he said. "And that will really help us for next year's car.

"To have a bad year this year was probably the best year to have it, because you can learn a lot for the new package of 2014."

Just reading a breaking news report that Ross Brawn is leaving Mercedes at the end of the season. There is scant detail at the moment but it isn't much of a surprise as he dropped a big hint recently it could happen. Too many chiefs not enough... etc

I wonder he will pitch up next season. I find it hard to believe he won't be in F1 but who knows? Could he replace Whitmarsh at McLaren?

Â