The Shay Given thread

RotaxMax125

I'd leave Given in goal. Guzan as a shot stopper is quality and is very good at coming for crosses but he needs to calm down. He's distribution and decision making seem to have got worse so as a kick up the arse I'd drop him and in Given we have a very good keeper so better to do it now than later. I think Parkes will help aswell as he seems to like to get involved so want worry about putting Given forward as No 1

Dropping Guzan in the league would be absolutely ridiculous.

he's done nothing to deserve that.

Luckily one of Sherwood's strengths appears to be man management so he'll know that dropping your best goalkeeper for no reason isn't really the best approach!

That's only if you think he's playing the better of the 2. Guzans distribution and decision among have got worse and at times he doesn't spread confidence as he's hyperactive. Against WBA he kept slowing tempo in 1st but must have been told to change it as he sped it up after. He just needs to learn that side of the game. TS has got the out field players playing on the front foot now if he got Guzan doing the same it'll help. Goalkeeping is more than just shot stopping these days it's the start of your attack.

That's only if you think he's playing the better of the 2. Guzans distribution and decision among have got worse and at times he doesn't spread confidence as he's hyperactive. Against WBA he kept slowing tempo in 1st but must have been told to change it as he sped it up after. He just needs to learn that side of the game. TS has got the out field players playing on the front foot now if he got Guzan doing the same it'll help. Goalkeeping is more than just shot stopping these days it's the start of your attack.

Goalkeeping being more than just shot stopping is exactly why Given is on the bench and Guzan is the number 1.

Guzan's decision making, organisation, aerial ability and pace are all better than Given. He may struggle with distribution but that's not enough for him to not be in the team.

Given is a great back up. And he could still be playing first team football imo. Just not for us while we have Guzan.

I'd play Guzan in both games at Wembley.

Given makes me too nervous.

Particularly with set-pieces, Given still too easily finds himself in no man's land. Then again, Guzan hasn't really been anything like his best this season so I don't think he is currently offering much of an upgrade.

• Like 1

Hh

Goalkeeping being more than just shot stopping is exactly why Given is on the bench and Guzan is the number 1.

Guzan's decision making, organisation, aerial ability and pace are all better than Given. He may struggle with distribution but that's not enough for him to not be in the team.

Given is a great back up. And he could still be playing first team football imo. Just not for us while we have Guzan.

I think Guzan is better but I don't think he's playing to his best. There are things he needs to work on but having the safety of being number 1 without completion can erode performance levels. That's why I think dropping him and highlighting what needs to improve can make him better. We are fortunate to have a very good number 2 in Given so now would IMO be a good time to give him a kick up the arse. If Parkes can iron out what he needs to improve on whilst playing him fair enough but I think it's attitude more than technique.

seeing as this season cant get any worst, i think its fair to say that many fans have praised the wrong players and villanised the wrong players, we play better without guzan and vlaar and i wouldn't be sad to see them sold

given has done very well everytime he has played

Edited by AndyBM

• 2 weeks later...

IMo if Given is going to play t

he semi final we should give him the next 3 league games

get him into some kind of rhythm

plus guzan needs a kick up the backside

maybe learn how to kick properly

My issue with Given, as good a shot stopper as he is, is that you lose all aerial presence in our box. His kick is better than Guzan but Guzan's height means there are shots he will save that Given has no chance of getting to.

That said, Guzan needs to sort that kicking out sharpish.

I'd play Guzan in both games at Wembley.

Given makes me too nervous.

Guzan makes me nervous now. The last few games he has got away with some bad blunders when trying to clear the ball. Just not good with his feet, and he knows it, and you can sense his panic.

• Like 1

Yeah that was the worst game Guzan's had in a good while on Saturday even though ironically he made some good saves from Gomis.

He spilled the cross that Clark had to clear off the line and his kicking was worse than usual, indeed one he hit against Gomis that was lucky that it deflected away from the goal.

Still not bad enough for Given to have an extended run though.

Guzan's a good keeper going through a slightly shaky spell. It really alarms me how quickly people turn on players - I find it pretty abhorrent.

im not saying hes not decent, i just think if given is going to play in the cup gave him the next 2 games

Guzan's a good keeper going through a slightly shaky spell. It really alarms me how quickly people turn on players - I find it pretty abhorrent.

I agree that he is a good keeper, but criticising deficiencies, like we do with any player, is not `turning on them'.

I agree that he is a good keeper, but criticising deficiencies, like we do with any player, is not `turning on them'.

seeing as this season cant get any worst, i think its fair to say that many fans have praised the wrong players and villanised the wrong players, we play better without guzan  i wouldn't be sad to see him sold

k

• 4 weeks later...
Â