U.S. Politics

maqroll

Google says 25 million in metro-area, London is order 15 million for comparison ... and I bet DoD-land has Trump told all sorts of things about those in immediate danger from the North, $$$.

I heard that the president can't stop an election from happening as it is a state run thing. I would not bet against him trying though if the polling is not good for him. The thing is everything is impossible or against the law until Trump does it and no one stops him. He could in reality probably cancel an election by saying so on twitter. Enough red states would bin it off on his say so to make any result contestable at the least. It is also a pretty fair point that this is not a good time for campaigning and getting the entire adult population into voting booths.

On 30/03/2020 at 10:11, Stevo985 said:

Disgusting human.

Firstly, I could do the daily Covid update and it would get millions of viewers. People are tuning in for the update of a global pandemic, not your swollen orange face.

Secondly, imagine revelling in the ratings you're getting from this tragedy?

I don't think anything has ever angered me more than Trump's popularity. He's vile

Worth repeating.

While everyone is looking the other way.

Trump administration allows companies to break pollution laws during coronavirus pandemic

Extraordinary move signals to US companies that they will not face any sanctions for polluting the air or water

The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has suspended its enforcement of environmental laws during the ongoing coronavirus outbreak, signaling to companies they will not face any sanction for polluting the air or water of Americans.

In an extraordinary move that has stunned former EPA officials, the Trump administration said it will not expect compliance with the routine monitoring and reporting of pollution and won’t pursue penalties for breaking these rules.

Polluters will be able to ignore environmental laws as long as they can claim in some way these violations were caused by the Covid-19 pandemic. In the event of an imminent threat to public health, the EPA will defer to the states and “consider the circumstances” over whether it should intervene. 

There is no end date set for this dropping of enforcement.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/mar/27/trump-pollution-laws-epa-allows-companies-pollute-without-penalty-during-coronavirus

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, sne said:

The Trump administration's love for polluting the environment appears to be one of their most consistent underlying beliefs.

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

The Trump administration's love for polluting the environment appears to be one of their most consistent underlying beliefs.

I know you are being facetious but a love for polluting is probably the wrong way to characterise it. More a belief that environmental considerations should not trump economic considerations (if you excuse the pun). 

The reality of that position however is that the environmental consequences will still need to be dealt with, just that they will not be dealt with directly by the entity involved, instead they will be pushed on to wider society to resolve. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LondonLax said:

More a belief that environmental considerations should not trump economic considerations (if you excuse the pun). 

That's also a bit misleading as they have been putting huge amounts of money into propping up coal producers who employ a negligible amount of people in the grand scheme of things.

2 hours ago, LondonLax said:

I know you are being facetious but a love for polluting is probably the wrong way to characterise it. More a belief that environmental considerations should not trump economic considerations (if you excuse the pun). 

The reality of that position however is that the environmental consequences will still need to be dealt with, just that they will not be dealt with directly by the entity involved, instead they will be pushed on to wider society to resolve. 

I think you are doing an enormous service to the industries that have lobbied for these changes by talking about their actions in this case as if they spring from ideology rather than self-interest.

EDIT: I appreciate one obvious way of pushing back on this is to say that for 'pro-business conservatives', their ideology and their self interest are one and the same, but they don't tend to agree with me when I say that, so really I'm doing them the favour here.

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 2

Don't be blinded and attach this to Trump alone. It's jus more of the same trickle down neo-liberalism 101.

Let the states do as they wish, i.e., hence resulting in nice states and bad states. Just like nice countries and bad countries. We enjoy our clean air while those in poor/insert-other-appropriate-adjective-here countries/states enjoy paying for our privilege. 

Who on earth is this bloke blowing smoke up Trump's arse in the White House briefing?

I mean I know they're largely primed to do it but this guy talking about the DPA is really taking it to a new level. Astounding levels of obsequiousness.

Edited by snowychap

Trump not allowing his medical expert Dr. Anthony Fauci to answer questions from the press about Hydroxychloroquine and then snapping at a journalist and walking off the stage.

Guy is losing it, won't be long before Fauci is out and he'll have some Dr Nick Riviera yes man blowing smoke up his ass about whatever cure the president has found while reading on Breitbart.

• Like 2

Â