U.S. Politics

maqroll

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Piers Morgan

bloke who made his name and his money doing his actual day job but that wasn't enough and he went chasing a celebrity status, got himself a tv show, spouts his garbage on social media, everyone knows who he is but no one knows how he's managed to get there

the big difference is Morgan is rich, trump is wealthy and as much as Morgan would probably love to give it a go our political system would thankfully prevent a trump like rise to the top job

That's not a bad shout actually. 

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/02/07/politics/kfile-gorka-on-fake-news/index.html

Sebastian Gorka, deputy assistant to President Donald Trump, said Monday that the administration will continue using the term "fake news" until the media understands that their "monumental desire" to attack the President is wrong.

"There is a monumental desire on behalf of the majority of the media, not just the pollsters, the majority of the media to attack a duly elected President in the second week of his term," Gorka, a former Breitbart editor who also holds a PhD in political science, told syndicated conservative radio host Michael Medved.
"That's how unhealthy the situation is and until the media understands how wrong that attitude is, and how it hurts their credibility, we are going to continue to say, 'fake news.' I'm sorry, Michael. That's the reality," he added.

Says the former editor of Breitbart.

Also today, the senate confirms Betsy DeVos for education, a billionaire GOP contributor with no education experience who is a Christian fanatical wingnut.

But Hillary was all about pay-to-play.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, choffer said:

Stolen from twitter - thought this was interesting. Could have gone in any number of current threads but this one seemed the most likely:

8E13C5B9-BD5B-4723-9B67-7C0FA4FA2C8D_zps

surely it's different people being angry ?

I mean presumably Remainers were Happy when we were in Utopia and are now angry as we are leaving it  ?  ... and vice versa

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I mean presumably Remainers were Happy when we were in Utopia and are now angry as we are leaving it  ?  ... and vice versa

Why are leavers more angry than ever? (based on my own experiences)

22 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I think the point is supposed to be that Brexiteers are just as pissed off as ever, as evidenced by calling judges 'enemies of the people' and getting themselves into a twist over whatever some softhead has done at the University of Middle Worcestershire or whatever. 

Nevertheless, I still don't really like the argument in that paragraph. It seems to be suggesting that political disagreements are actually just varying degrees of mental trauma or illness or something. I just don't agree. 

De Spiegel's measured editorial

There are times in life that really do count. Times when a person's character is revealed, when the important is separated from the unimportant. Soon decisions are taken that will determine the further path a person takes. With some, this can be tragic, and the moment comes too soon in their youth at a time when they aren't mature enough yet to foresee all the potential consequences. They make the decisions cheerfully and they lead to either luck or bad luck. But countries and governments are seldom as innocent when it comes to their decisions. ...

But Defence Secretary, General James "Mad Dog" Mattis, and the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Joseph Dunford, reportedly convinced Mr Trump to go ahead with the raid by suggesting Mr Obama would never have been so bold as to actually go through with it.

Donald Trump's staff get him to agree to policies by saying 'Obama wouldn't have done it'

Haha wtf is going on

1 hour ago, villakram said:

@maqroll  Army core of engineers appear to have given Dakota the go ahead :( No precise details as of yet... Really hope the vets come out again as this would truly put Trump in a bind.

It's the inevitability of it that is so depressing. The winter there has been brutal, some very tough people couldn't continue. Less than 100 people are there now apparently. Tribal leaders are telling people not to return. Plenty of uncomfortable tribal politics has been laid bare. Accusations of selling out and whatnot. I'll be interested to see the veteran response this time around, because a lot of them were pissed off with how the thing (Veterans Stand) was organized.

If nothing else, I hope the dedication to cause that was demonstrated at Standing Rock will be considered the touchstone for a new progressive protest movement.

4 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Also today, the senate confirms Betsy DeVos for education, a billionaire GOP contributor with no education experience who is a Christian fanatical wingnut.

But Hillary was all about pay-to-play.

Trump voters must be infuriated at this cynical display of cronyism.

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

It's the inevitability of it that is so depressing. The winter there has been brutal, some very tough people couldn't continue. Less than 100 people are there now apparently. Tribal leaders are telling people not to return. Plenty of uncomfortable tribal politics has been laid bare. Accusations of selling out and whatnot. I'll be interested to see the veteran response this time around, because a lot of them were pissed off with how the thing (Veterans Stand) was organized.

If nothing else, I hope the dedication to cause that was demonstrated at Standing Rock will be considered the touchstone for a new progressive protest movement.

Any chance you could expand on the Vet angle as while the tribal infighting was pretty widely reported on, I didn't come across any reported issues in the Vet movement. It's a pity if so as Trump had aligned himself so tightly to the Vet issue that another large showing would have been interesting.

I see this a much more important. If this issue is truly important, then a stand must be made now, or else a long long 4 yrs awaits. Though, I think this will also reveal a lot about the wailing masses and their fb based concerns.

Also, Obama should be shamed for this. Allowing it to get to 95% completion, legacy politics 101.

• Like 1

Â