• Herd
    • Holman
    • Bannan
    • Benteke
    • Weimann
    • Delph (for Holman 69)
    • El Ahmadi (for Bannan 85)
    • N'Zogbia (for Weimann 90)

I hear in some quarters that Liverpool had a bad day at the office... no they did'nt.

Their possession was actually good...and so was their overall play.

They went in to the game on a high from recent results.

no... what happened, they were simply BEATEN, by a young emerging team that works its socks off for each other and when they see an opportunity, they finish.They have young defenders that put themselves on the line for each other and they have strikers that do what it says on the tin, they also have the "eye of the tiger"

There is a fair way to go, but he journey is starting to be very pleasant indeed.

• Like 1

Proud of the team today! I seriously expected an easy win for Liverpool given our poor showings this year and the fact that we were (and are still) 3 points away from the relegation zone. When any team win against Liverpool it is considered a huge feat, but we have to remember that they are 12th in the league and they have only won 5 games. Still, a win against Liverpool still feels and tastes much better than a win over a better team like let's say Everton or Tottenham. It is tight this season, even after this win we can possibly be under the line next week given some unrealistic results :wacko: Chelsea away is going to be much, much harder - Liverpool is a team in deep trouble after all - but I look forward to seeing how our team can handle a top team. We have an advantage in them playing the World Club Championship, in fact we couldn't meet them away at a better time. Let's hope they play like Arsenal did when they came to Villa Park jaded after the Champions League a few weeks ago. People of course react to such a result with the optimism of all our players being world-class (for the next week at least), but I guess that is normal after all. No doubt Benteke is a very good player, he contributes in pretty much every game and that signals just the fact that he is a reliable and important player. 5 goals now, not even in the top 15 in the league, but still the indications are there for him being a 20 goals-a-season player. He is big, tall and strong, but that heel pass today was more Berbatov rather than Crouch or Grant Holt. Great shot from outside the box for the first, and even though the defending for the 3rd goal was laughable for a so-called top club, he had a vision of that situation and didn't stop before he had put it in the back of the net. Many would shoot before he did and then probably miss with a tame effort straight at the keeper.

What happens at Chelsea isn't that important, a loss there is expected and most teams will struggle to get a point at Stamford Bridge - but like I said, the timing is good and we did just win a game where the other team dictates the game. Our problem this season, and there are many, is that we seriously struggle to command a game at home against teams we "should" be creating many chances against. So for me the Chelsea-game is just about having some luck and them having an off-day, the Tottenham-game is going to be very tough but we can beat them at home. We have 3 games in one week, and right after Spurs we have Wigan at home and that is the game I really look forward to. They have Everton away the game before and that is positive, I want to see a game where we attack, score and control the game against a similar team but a team that has less quality in it. A shame Darren Bent was injured right now, because he would have played given the games involved and lack of rest in between, let's hope Benteke can carry on without injuries as we are playing him every single game.

The game itself was a funny one. They had the game but we scored the goals. After that they will always come back and carry out the possession and shots etc, but that doesn't really matter much when we have scored a couple of times. If they were 1-0 up we would have had much more possession as we would have needed a goal. Still, winning 3-1 when having a total of 28% possession is somewhat of a record!

Some key moments for me:

- The second goal was absolute class

- Benteke would go right into that Liverpool-team, and boy do they need him

- Suarez is a sulky little bitch and his English is rubbish, so why is he always blasting the ref with outbursts after every single situation?

- They should have had a clear penalty when Agger was dragged down in the box, that happened at 0-2 and clearly would have changed the game for them

- Liking the way Weimann scores these "right place at the right time"-goals, exactly what a team needs especially in games where chances are few and far between

Guzan - 7 (Looks like he has much more authority and belief in himself now, as compared to when he played occasionally in the cups before)

Lowton - 7

Baker - 8

Clark - 8

Lichaj - 7 (Although he is obviously the weakest player we have in our team right now - he is a reserve after all)

Herd - 6

Westwood - 7

Holman - 7

Bannan - 7

Weimann - 8

Benteke - 9

Subs:

Delph - 6

KEA and N'Zogbia just a few minutes on the pitch, I hope CNZ gets some games the next few weeks to finally impress

A good read Papillon but a few things I'd disagree with

" even after this win we can possibly be under the line next week given some unrealistic results :wacko: " - Only if Newcastle, Sunderland, Southampton and Wigan all win ..... and Southampton and Sunderland are playing each other.

"Liverpool is a team in deep trouble after all" - They'd lost once in eleven games. They're not the Liverpool of old but they're not in deep trouble.

"They should have had a clear penalty when Agger was dragged down in the box, that happened at 0-2 and clearly would have changed the game for them" - Both players had hold of each others shirts, the ref was right to play on.

Absolutely delighted with the result. Really thought we'd do well to get a draw but the sheer hard work of the defence and the clinical way we took our chances mean that we certainly deserved the three points even though Liverpool had

the lions share of possession.

Immense team performance. I can't smile wide enough tonight.

- They should have had a clear penalty when Agger was dragged down in the box, that happened at 0-2 and clearly would have changed the game for them

whilst i agree i think from what the ref sees agger has got a good strong arm on clark and then grabs a little bit of shirt, its got to hard to tell if thats holding him off or grabbing hold, could easily look as if both players are pulling each others shirts, add to that agger probably complains less then any of the other liverpool players

still id be furious if villa werent given that decision

The Agger peno was one that could easily go either way. If it was given I wouldn't have complained as Clark had a good hold of him but agger did have a hold of Clark too. If it was the other way around I would be a little annoyed that it wasn't given but wouldn't be overly upset about it

A good read Papillon but a few things I'd disagree with

" even after this win we can possibly be under the line next week given some unrealistic results :wacko: " - Only if Newcastle, Sunderland, Southampton and Wigan all win ..... and Southampton and Sunderland are playing each other.

"Liverpool is a team in deep trouble after all" - They'd lost once in eleven games. They're not the Liverpool of old but they're not in deep trouble.

"They should have had a clear penalty when Agger was dragged down in the box, that happened at 0-2 and clearly would have changed the game for them" - Both players had hold of each others shirts, the ref was right to play on.

Absolutely delighted with the result. Really thought we'd do well to get a draw but the sheer hard work of the defence and the clinical way we took our chances mean that we certainly deserved the three points even though Liverpool had

the lions share of possession.

Immense team performance. I can't smile wide enough tonight.

Yeah I know, it was more like a figure of speech, that we are 3 points above 17th.

Oh and I would say Liverpool are in deep trouble, just look at their forums and get a big smile! When Liverpool are 12th after 17 games they are in quite the pickle B)

Both players do grab each others shirts, but Clark is so clearly just covering the player and not the ball, and he doesn't let go before Agger is floored. As the person commenting under you wrote, imagine that happening to Benteke or Weimann and I am sure 100% of every fan on here would be pretty furious too ;)

Still, a game of momens and luck, today we grabbed our chances brilliantly and had a bit of luck too

Didn't see the game. t another win I missed. I might miss the rest of the games this season. :P Saw the first two goals after the first half and I have to say that I felt that I had to give the motm to Benteke for that back heal. So I did.

Have to mention Holmans movements too. I've seen all goals now thanks to NV, and on both of Bentekes goals he got the ball from Holman who started a good run into good scoring positions which clearly startled the liverpool defence helping the big man to score. Brilliantly done by the aussie. And brilliantly done by the big belgian bull.

great result and well needed points. Onwards and upwards.

UTV!!

What a great result today, and again the scummy scouse too. 3-1 Get in!

Looks like we're slowly turning the corner after a few seasons of pure pain!

Had to watch the match delayed. I see there was a few comments about the co-commentator in the match thread. He did my head in. Though not sure what my wife thought when i started singing "Liverpool, wannk wannk wannk" at the tele.

Anyway, the co commentator was Barry Horne.

Up the Villa and hope Lambert can unearth some more gems in the January transfer window.

I dont see how it was, in some match reports a clear pen, if it was a foul, who would you give it to? Both players were trying to gain adantage by pulling back the other. If its a pen to agger, surely its a foul on clark for pulling him down too,right decision to play on.

Â