West Bromwich Albion

R.I.C.O.

Anyone else think Mel may not last the season? He was awful post match

Richard I wad thinking similar last night. Under a new manager you tend to see a team pick up. I would say the opposite has happened.

They did not look a very good team last night and only managed to score through a wonder goal, own goal and a piece of sloppy defending.

I'd be worried if I were a baggies fan, boing-ing all the way to the championship.

When I saw he's interview in motd he looked drained already, the bags under his eyes were massive

you have to question this blokes management acumen when he has a back four, 3 of which older than 30 and Ridgewell playing a defensive line so far up the pitch you could land a 747 between them and the keeper.

Richard I wad thinking similar last night. Under a new manager you tend to see a team pick up. I would say the opposite has happened.

They did not look a very good team last night and only managed to score through a wonder goal, own goal and a piece of sloppy defending.

I'd be worried if I were a baggies fan, boing-ing all the way to the championship.

Statistically the new manager bump is a myth. It's more about confirmation bias, as in we expect new managers to give their side a boost, so when it happens we notice it more.

Also, the bump is more expected when the previous manager was totally incompetent. Clarke wasn't.

Edited by Rovers13
  • Like 1

bit harsh, it was a shit goal from our perspective but a very nice one from theirs, good passing, great movement, great finish

6/1 to go down got to be worth a tickle that? They have 6 of the top 7 to play away from home, leaves 8/9 games (realisticly) to get 15/6 points

To be honest that probably means they have easier home fixtures still left and may go some way to explain why they have struggled this season. 

Teams round the bottom get the bulk of their points in the home games against the other bottom teams, if West Brom have a lot of these to come they will probably be fine to avoid the drop. 

6/1 to go down got to be worth a tickle that? They have 6 of the top 7 to play away from home, leaves 8/9 games (realisticly) to get 15/6 points

To be honest that probably means they have easier home fixtures still left and may go some way to explain why they have struggled this season.

Teams round the bottom get the bulk of their points in the home games against the other bottom teams, if West Brom have a lot of these to come they will probably be fine to avoid the drop.

They might need another 18-20 points. They won't necessarily lose all those against the top 7, but all of those teams will go into that game expecting to win.

The baggies should have stuck with Clarke. I wasn't a huge fan, but he's a good coach and he had them organised and well drilled. Results did for him, but they were performing better than those results belied and they would have turned it around to a degree.

Now they are disjointed, completely disorganised, a side in transition. A side not good enough talent wise to make that transition whilst in a relegation battle.

They've a very good chance of going down IMO. That 6/1 is very tempting indeed, I'll put my money where my mouth is.

They might need another 18-20 points. They won't necessarily lose all those against the top 7, but all of those teams will go into that game expecting to win.

The baggies should have stuck with Clarke. I wasn't a huge fan, but he's a good coach and he had them organised and well drilled. Results did for him, but they were performing better than those results belied and they would have turned it around to a degree.

Now they are disjointed, completely disorganised, a side in transition. A side not good enough talent wise to make that transition whilst in a relegation battle.

They've a very good chance of going down IMO. That 6/1 is very tempting indeed, I'll put my money where my mouth is.

Don't worry, Pepe Mel wants to buy Benteke.

Praising your oppositions striker, when he's returning to confidence after a bad spell, the day before the big match, was a bit of an error IMO. And by a bit, I mean a lot.

Their players don't look particularly motivated. They've sold their best striker for peanuts, don't appear to be bringing in anyone else. I think they've probably got just enough to survive, but it will involve their performances improving. 

It was quiet at work today, ha ha ha.

I didnt rub it in, but beamed broadly at the group of WBA fans who sit nearby when I came in.

They could be in the bottom three by saturday night.

Mel isn't happy that he wasn't allowed to bring the two Spanish guys in who worked at Betis, I'd say it's currently a marriage of convenience him having to work with Keith Downing and Dean Kiely (who I just thought was their goalkeeping coach anyway).

I'm also convinced Lugano is only playing as he speaks Spanish so can quickly get Mel's tactics translated to the other players on the pitch which obviously Gareth McAuley would struggle to do.

McAuely was on the bench but missed last few weeks, Lugano was badly at fault for the Everton goal last week.

In fairness given he's a Latin player that was playing for Malaga recently Mel would have more knowledge of him than McAuely. I'm surprised they keep loaning out Craig Dawson, you'd think it's probably time to give him a run in the first team?

• 2 weeks later...

Bottom 3, well done agent Mel. I think his reign is going to be a very brief one even if he seems a likeable chap with his broken English on the interviews.

Could stay there aswell. They've got Chelsea home on Tuesday and still have to go to Arsenal and Man. City so realistically they've got 10 games to probably get 16 points which will get them to 39 points.

Â