Its about the villa not the prem

smetrov

Ray Graydon - close family friend. So close that I actually call him "Uncle Ray" :) He's a big family man.

Looking at the Holte End back then just gives me goosebumps! Wish I could have experienced it

I am not worthy ! - I recall my first ever match - standing with Dad absolutely terrified - after about half an hour I started to relax - and said "that number 7 is the best player"

That was a great season, with a real sense that the crowd was a big factor in Villa's success. Will never ever forget the game against Bournemouth (who were big rivals for the title) in February, where we went 0-1 down and the crowd just rose up and started chanting for the Villa, sweeping us to a 2-1 win from which we never looked back. It was great to be there on that day.

But you have to remember how absolutely terrible the experience for the fans had been for at least 5 seasons before that, with two relegations, lack of vision from the board, repeated managerial failure, and frustration at watching dire football. I wouldn't want to wish that on anyone and if this thread is trying in any way to suggest that relegation would be "good" for us, it should be rebutted strongly.

The other depressing thought that occurred to me is that many of those players - Bruce Rioch, Chico Hamilton, Ray Graydon, Chris Nicholl, for example (even Andy Lochead) - would stroll into our first team today, no problems.

I am not worthy ! - I recall my first ever match - standing with Dad absolutely terrified - after about half an hour I started to relax - and said "that number 7 is the best player"

His wife (Auntie Sue to me) used to make me triangle ham sandwiches with the crusts cut off :P - Next time I go down and see them i'll have to create a thread on here and ask him some of questions from Villa talkers.

I will still try and get to games if we go down. It would be frustrating not to be able to watch us on TV though.

their is nothing more frustrating than actually watching us on TV ;) its **** torture at times

The other depressing thought that occurred to me is that many of those players - Bruce Rioch, Chico Hamilton, Ray Graydon, Chris Nicholl, for example (even Andy Lochead) - would stroll into our first team today, no problems.

that is pretty depressing, maybe they can be the experienced heads some fans are calling for :P

Relegation would quite frankly be disastrous. The only benefit would be that I'd actually get to see us win a lot and trounce some teams, which is never something I've had the pleasure of watching Villa do.

I think we'll stay up though.

If we were ever relegated, we would most likely go the same way as Leeds. They were relegated in 2007 I think, and they havent made it back to the top since. The Championship is a tough, tough division, far more competitive than the Prem and with us being the big draw every other team would up their game. Our financial situation is also perilous and we'd probably have to sell every senior pro and field a team of youngsters.

There is never any guarantee we would get back, and we'd probably need a far better owner than the total clown we currently have to rectify the mistakes of the past three years and turn us around. Look at Sheffield Wednesday, a once great club now yo-yo-ing between the Championship and League One, mainly due to an incompetent chairman and bad managerial appointments.

Relegation would be an absolute disaster and would suck the life out of this great institution we support. If the worst were ever to happen, I wouldnt fancy our chances to make it back to where we were in 2007-2010 in my lifetime...(and I'm only 30)

If we were ever relegated, we would most likely go the same way as Leeds. They were relegated in 2007 I think, and they havent made it back to the top since. The Championship is a tough, tough division, far more competitive than the Prem and with us being the big draw every other team would up their game. Our financial situation is also perilous and we'd probably have to sell every senior pro and field a team of youngsters.

There is never any guarantee we would get back, and we'd probably need a far better owner than the total clown we currently have to rectify the mistakes of the past three years and turn us around. Look at Sheffield Wednesday, a once great club now yo-yo-ing between the Championship and League One, mainly due to an incompetent chairman and bad managerial appointments.

Relegation would be an absolute disaster and would suck the life out of this great institution we support. If the worst were ever to happen, I wouldnt fancy our chances to make it back to where we were in 2007-2010 in my lifetime...(and I'm only 30)

Absolutely. For every Newcastle (which a lot of people think will happen to us if we go down), there's a whole lot of Forest, Wednesday, Sheff United, Leeds, Ipswich and so on. We'd lose our few experienced players and probably our better youngsters, and I don't think the Championship is a league for a team of youngsters learning the trade. Add in the extra TV money for next year and I don't think we'd be a top division regular again for a long long time. It's a bloody massive season.

OP Here

Im not advocating relegation as a stepping stone to other things. As others have said for every newcaste , there is a leeds , shef wed or even wolves.

I just thought the video made good viewing, the goals, the packed holte, the deafening roar from the holte.

Whatever division we are in - it will always be the the villa for me - I hate what the prem is now about.

• Like 1

God that brings back childhood memories, I used to love going down with my dad, dancing and singing in the holt, for me removing the seating killed the fun and the atmosphere, although it is nice to come home with the back of ya legs dry and not covered in wee, I remember rivers of it flowing down the holt lol, I remember once seeing one bloke doing it in a fans pocket without him knowing, crazy days.

For people thinking going down will help us forget it, if we loose the premiership money then we will be on a downward spiral and may not recover, even though I cherish the old days I would not like to go back to them, Ask Leeds, Forest, Leicester, Blues, It does not always work.

2004 which is nearly 10 years now and i agree Championship is more competitive than Premier League

Â