January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

KEA doesn't look very astute and Vlaar looks at a similar level to Collins.

Benteke is a truly top class signing which we need more of.

Lowton and Westwood look like they have potential but I question wether they would currently get in a top 10 premiership club.

Bennet looks completely off the pace but he may turn it round.

If we sign more in the mould of Benteke this january then I'll be happy. That's the kind of approach we need.

If we sign more lowton and bennets then i think we'll continue to struggle.

Our approach in the summer wasn't good enough because we've actually become worse than last year. We need to start signing players that are going to have an impact on this team.

David Moyes signed the odd few players from the lower leagues not the majority of his signings.

So far he's signed 3 Bennett, Lowton & Westwood.

He's also signed Benteke, KEA & Vlaar + Holman who forced on him admittedly

How is that the majority of signings?

Who cares where they came from ?.........It's the player you sign..NOT the club they play for!!!!

Stephen Ireland came from Manchester City!

So far he's signed 3 Bennett, Lowton & Westwood.

He's also signed Benteke, KEA & Vlaar + Holman who forced on him admittedly

How is that the majority of signings?

Who cares where they came from ?.........It's the player you sign..NOT the club they play for!!!!

Stephen Ireland came from Manchester City!

You forgot Bowery and claiming Holman as a lambert signing is ridiculous.

Like I said, why are no other clubs doing the same then? It's cheaper so surely all clubs would do it.

Of course it's about the player and like I said there are clearly gems in those leagues but I think it's unrealistic to think we're going to somehow find them all.

You forgot Bowery and claiming Holman as a lambert signing is ridiculous.

Like I said, why are no other clubs doing the same then? It's cheaper so surely all clubs would do it.

Of course it's about the player and like I said there are clearly gems in those leagues but I think it's unrealistic to think we're going to somehow find them all.

I forgot Bowery but then he's only really been bought as a youngster to fill the ranks. Man Utd & Aresnal both bought players off Crewe

He's hardly played.

And PL clubs do contain players from the lower leagues

Look at Ricky Lambert & where he came from? Took him about 20 mins didn't it to get used to the pace of the Prem League & score.

His goals are a big reason because why Southhampton aren't struggling that much.

I think I read West Ham had a bid turned down for his services already - hardly a surprise is it?!!

We've all been brainwashed by Sky that it's simply unacceptable to even look down into the depths - their darling Premier Lgue is the stand out league in the world.

The Championship & below hardly matters... that's rubbish IMHO

The point is lower league players have been promoted to the top divison since I was first watching football. That was how it used to be

The bigger clubs bought the better players off the smaller clubs. Surely that's how it should be Then some of the obscene PL money

finds it's way downwards.

You keep mentioning odd players and I've happily agreed with you that there are good players to be found in the lower leagues.

And I'll ask again why aren't other teams buying the majority of their players from the lower leagues? So far we've signed 4 and it could well be more this window. In fact I'll be stunned if its not.

Why aren't other teams buying that amount if its clearly the best thing to do?

Edited by Big_John_10

I think this conversation will just go round and round. The way I see it is our stand out players this season have been Guzan, Lowton, Vlaar (I think you underrate his influence), Baker, Westwood, Weimann, Benteke. Now the majority of those are PL's signings. The other two are the stand out performers from our academy for me. The rest are the squad he has inherited.

Ireland, Bent have not really look interested although Ireland has shown flashes of brilliance but people just remember his last game against Wigan.

Holman is hot and cold and is not a bad signing to be fair.

Only KEA and Bennett you can say have underperformed or havent been great, although KEA looked good early on and has faded and Bennett has been injured quite a bit.

Now there's not much Lambert can do because IMO the others are not good enough. You can argue that Clark, Stevens, Bannan, N'Zogbia are good squad players. However, Herd, Lichaj, Delph, ALbrighton are really lacking. They are Championship standard sadly. PL needs time to make his mark. We have an awful squad of players. With about 6 players who I think can be part of our strongest xi for the next few years.

I think this conversation will just go round and round. The way I see it is our stand out players this season have been Guzan, Lowton, Vlaar (I think you underrate his influence), Baker, Westwood, Weimann, Benteke. Now the majority of those are PL's signings. The other two are the stand out performers from our academy for me. The rest are the squad he has inherited.

Ireland, Bent have not really look interested although Ireland has shown flashes of brilliance but people just remember his last game against Wigan.

Holman is hot and cold and is not a bad signing to be fair.

Only KEA and Bennett you can say have underperformed or havent been great, although KEA looked good early on and has faded and Bennett has been injured quite a bit.

Now there's not much Lambert can do because IMO the others are not good enough. You can argue that Clark, Stevens, Bannan, N'Zogbia are good squad players. However, Herd, Lichaj, Delph, ALbrighton are really lacking. They are Championship standard sadly. PL needs time to make his mark. We have an awful squad of players. With about 6 players who I think can be part of our strongest xi for the next few years.

I'll happily admit that Lowton and Westwood have been our better players and I'll happily admit that I think there's a good chance they will turn into good players. But I don't think they've been amazing and I don't think they'd currently start week in week out for any top half team.

Vlaar looks no better than Collins IMO and has done little to improve a defence that was poor last year.

The only player we've signed that truly has an impact on our team is Benteke. I think he can be the difference between winning and losing. I don't think any of the others are. Lowton is a better rb than lichaj but I don't think he has a big impact on the team. Westwood is a tidy player and is better than most midfield players we have but again doesn't impact the team that much.

I'm all for buying the potential players like these but it has to be balanced out with quality players like Benteke who will have a big impact on the team. That's what we need right now and i don't think we're gonna get that from young players currently playing in the lower league.

Yeah I see your point but all players wont make an impact like Benteke will. Vlaar is still playing with kids. If he had a better defence I think you would see his class. Baker looks a great talent dont get me wrong but we need another CB. Lowton gives you 7/10 pretty much every game and you cant ask for more than that. ANd he will get better. Westwood has done a good job not spectacular but that isnt his game. However we need more players thats a fact. I imagine we will get a mixture of Champ players and foreign talents like Benteke. If the current players are anything to go by I dont think we will go far wrong. We do need a strong spine and I think we are 1 CB, 1 DM, 1 AM short of that. All of which can be addressed in this window

Complete opposite situation of Lescott who seems happy to be rotting in their reserves earning his billions!

How can you possibly know that lescott is happy rotting in the reserves? This season is the first time he has been out of the side for a prolonged amount of time, and lo and behold there are rumours of him being transferred. That would suggest that he is far from happy being in the reserves and has got his agent to drum up interest (all guess work of course but in my eyes far more plausible than he is happy rotting in reserves)

Signing players from the Lower Leagues stinks they'll never have a re-sale value.... ...sheesh Lambert Out!

Spurs signed Gareth Bale from Southampton

Spurs signed Darren Bent from Charlton

Arsenal signed Oxelaide-Chamberlain & Theo Walcott from Southampton

And the irony of it all which team did Everton sign Joleon Lescott from? - Wolves who were in the Championship

Oh wait a minute...isn't he the subject of this entire circular debate how Lambert shouldn't be signing no marks from the lower leagues?!!!

Edited by JulieB

I don't really get involved in many arguments/debates on here because it's pointless but I had to laugh when I read this... "Vlaar looks at a similar level to Collins"

Wow. Just, wow!

It's awesome - I'm not quite sure which is the most depressing - listening to a WM football phone in or reading a few pages on Villa Talk

Priceless......

Signing players from the Lower Leagues stinks they'll never have a re-sale value.... ...sheesh Lambert Out!

Spurs signed Gareth Bale from Southampton

Spurs signed Darren Bent from Charlton

Arsenal signed Oxelaide-Chamberlain & Theo Walcott from Southampton

And the irony of it all which team did Everton sign Joleon Lescott from? - Wolves who were in the Championship

Oh wait a minute...isn't he the subject of this entire circular debate how Lambert shouldn't be signing no marks from the lower leagues?!!!

Signing players from the lower leagues is fine but immediately playing them and hoping to get results is insane. How many of those signings you mentioned were immediately inserted into their teams starting XI? That is what Lambert has done. We have plenty of young "talents" so now it's time to get some experience to teach them.

Signing players from the lower leagues is fine but immediately playing them and hoping to get results is insane. How many of those signings you mentioned were immediately inserted into their teams starting XI? That is what Lambert has done. We have plenty of young "talents" so now it's time to get some experience to teach them.

Moyes at Everton is the best example of what can be achieved. When you think of Tim Cahill, Jagielka,Lescott, Gosling, all picked up from lower leagues and able to make an impact.

It's awesome - I'm not quite sure which is the most depressing - listening to a WM football phone in or reading a few pages on Villa Talk

Priceless......

I'm not quite sure what you spect of a discussion forum. Perhaps you think that everyone must have the same opinion as you for it to be a good one. That's what this seems to imply.

What this thread really needs perhaps is more posts from teenage bullshitters on Twitter pretending to be 'in the know' claiming the likes of Peter Whittingham are about to sign and will do when he's back off holiday.

• Like 1