January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

It's not as simple as that.

Man Utd signed Nick Powell. Huge potential, scored hatful at Crewe. Does he play every week? No, cos' he's not ready. Yet we sign 4 players who are expected to make the transition and steer this club off over the horizon to a great new dawn.

Lambert has gone to the exteremes with what he's doing. Trouble is, half of what he has is simply not Premiership standard - Bennett, Lichaj, Delph, Bannan, Bowery, Stevens, El Ahmadi, Herd

As for N'Zogbia, I'd keep him. Get him fit and firing, and we have Benteke's supply line.

8 players for £18m buys you potential not experienced premiership players

I think Lescott wouldn't fit the original young/low wage template. Due to our precarious league position we might look beyond these constraints. A good signing but I still think it's unlikely.

Lescott is a no brainer for me - 30yrs old so plenty left in the tank, bags of experience and a Villa fan to boot (although, he does seem to celebrate too much when scoring against us!)

I'm never sure if he's celebrating against us or more making a statement of 'here's what you could have won!'

Exactly Rich

Ireland = Experienced = Shit

N'Zogbia = Experienced = Shit

Hutton = Experienced = Shit

So on and so forth.

The signings just need to be:-

A better CB than Herd

A better CM than Bannan

A better CM than Delph

A better Left Back than Bennett/Lichaj/Stevens

None of the above is difficult and there are plenty of Premiership, Championship, D1 and foreign players that fit that bill!!

Agree with all of this except LB - if CB and CM were sorted I think LB would sort itself. I think in a more cohesive team Bennett or Stevens would be fine at LB. I actually think that Bennett will emerge as a very good buy. He's had a horrendous start - thrown into a crap team, massive expectation, little patience from supporters, bad injury.....give him time and he may come good

I'm never sure if he's celebrating against us or more making a statement of 'here's what you could have won!'

ha ha that could be true!!! - also heard rumours he 'bears a grudge' against us for releasing his younger brother Aaron from the academy way back...

We did have the whole Dempsey saga. We were never really after him

Wouldnt really call it a saga mate.

We made a bid, fulham said yes and gave us permission to talk to the player.

Player says No Thanks, I dont want to talk to them... The End!..

All done in about 40mins!..

Edited by sutherland

Lambert has said there was still money left over in the summer budget..

Really???? I'm sure he woould have liked to have signed Robin Van Persie, Juan Mata and Eden Hazard, but he is working to a strict budget - a strict budget on fees and a strict budget on wages

Lambert has said there was still money left over in the summer budget..

I'd presume that was correct because we didn't get a target Dempsey on final day so unspent budget.

Ergo Lambert is obviously NOT against signing experienced premier league players!

if they fit his criteria and improve the sqauad - but he's also up for looking at other places to improve the squad, like Europe, Lower Leagues etc

and if they're younger ones then potentially excellent sell ons if they shine in the premier league.

Lerner has spent about the same as Levy at Spurs & as I said earlier & far more then Everton. Look at the quality in the squads and where they are

Pushing top four! Where we should be!

It's a win win for me cos at least Randy Lerners coffers aren't being continually wasted on PLge journery men! There's a nice blend developing

potentially and a sound business model.

Henke do your job!

Edited by JulieB

ha ha that could be true!!! - also heard rumours he 'bears a grudge' against us for releasing his younger brother Aaron from the academy way back...

As Andy says, Aaron is his older brother and was a regular in our reserves until we sold him to Sheffield Wednesday. My guess would be that when your a boy and the Club you support tell you that you are not good enough, that probably hurt a little!!

Really???? I'm sure he woould have liked to have signed Robin Van Persie, Juan Mata and Eden Hazard, but he is working to a strict budget - a strict budget on fees and a strict budget on wages

All right then Randy Lerner. Why is it that we put in a bid for Dempsey on deadline day as well then?

All right then Randy Lerner. Why is it that we put in a bid for Dempsey on deadline day as well then?

I thought the Benteke deal went through AFTER the failed bid for Dempsey? i.e. Money has been used elsewhere.