January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

Oh no, we might be signing a player from the lower leagues.

HOW FAR HAS THIS CLUB FALLEN!?

It's not as simple as that.

Man Utd signed Nick Powell. Huge potential, scored hatful at Crewe. Does he play every week? No, cos' he's not ready. Yet we sign 4 players who are expected to make the transition and steer this club off over the horizon to a great new dawn.

Lambert has gone to the exteremes with what he's doing. Trouble is, half of what he has is simply not Premiership standard - Bennett, Lichaj, Delph, Bannan, Bowery, Stevens, El Ahmadi, Herd

As for N'Zogbia, I'd keep him. Get him fit and firing, and we have Benteke's supply line.

Would love Yannick Bolasie here, currently making fools out of defenders every week with Palace and has outperformed Zaha for the most part.

Bloody good little player, Zaha's taking his limelight at the moment.... would Holloway sell to us though?

Just like Leeds have and Forest and Middlesbrough and Coventry. See a pattern developing?

This mess is down to the fact we are owned by a bunch of Cowboys who managed to screw up a team in the NFL, a sport primarily played and watched in their own Country. What gave them notions they could run a Football Club in England is beyond me. Disagree?? I present you Alex Mcleish.

This could/should have been nipped in the bud 2/3 years ago. How can we go from buying quality such as Milner, Young, Friedel etc... to scabbing around the lower Leagues?

Yes, you can buy potential and we did need a re-build (of sorts). But that can't and has never ever taken place in one season with a team of kids from League 1 and 2.

If you're happy with players like Stephens, Pritchard and Bowery then rock on.

Bradders is not coming to Villa

• Like 1

Lambert has been at the club long enough to know what positions needed sorting.

Benteke and Vlaar will prove to be astute signings but the rest seems to have just been plucked at wildly.

A player who has had 1 good year at Crewe anchoring our Midfield? A striker who Chesterfield fans said 'didn't do much anyway' as our back-up striker?

We have too many players who are simply woeful at this level and I am alarmed when we get linked with further un-tested potential. Young players need to learn and what better way than from experienced players who have been there and done it. We have no-one in this team that could rally the troops, just a load of kids who started to believe their own hype cos' they beat Liverpool.

That player who had one good year for Crewe is also playing very well for us and is probably our best midfielder.

Also, I'd hardly say Lowton was "plucked at wildly". He's been very good for us this season and was an excellent buy.

Thing is most of our woeful players are our own academy players. Not sure what you want lambert to do.

Agreed. A lot of our Academy players just are not Premiership quality. I personally would like us to get rid of a lot of our young players - Herd, Albrighton, Lichai, Bannan, Fonz, & Delph.

Just not good enough. Can appreciate, we will not be seeing a mass exodus like this....But, I just do not rate any of the players listed. Sure, some will do a job to a degree...But not of any real qualiy.

Sadly the Lescott link is the Mirror. You'd still think it'd be a possibility though, given his love of Villa and current status at Man City. Just the type of player we need.

Sadly the Lescott link is the Mirror. You'd still think it'd be a possibility though, given his love of Villa and current status at Man City. Just the type of player we need.

I said it before, but James Nursey, who wrote the piece, is typically quite reliable for transfer info, even though he does write for the Mirror. Granted the piece he wrote seems to me more an opinion piece saying Lescott is what we need, not necessarily what we are after. But hopefully, he has heard some things to make him more inclined to write about Lescott and Villa...I hope.

Lescott took great pleasure, right AT our fans, when he equalised before being served by Ash he took his Everton top off and waved it at our fans, on several occasions when he has scored he's sought to celebrate in front of our fans. People who think he loves us are deluded or simply haven't watched him against us.

I'd go as far as saying we seemed like his most disliked opponents!

If it happens it's an amazing transfer but it won't be happening because he has some love for us.

Would have Lescott back (released as a youth player) hands down, he is currently better by a country mile than our central defensive starters and is probably better than Vlaar as well. Even though couldn't see him coming back e.g. being released by Villa, what happened at Wolves and his celebration against us in that 3-2 win at Goodison a few season ago.

We made a net loss of £19 million on Reo-Coker for fees and wages. Charles N'Zogbia has given us 2 goals, a couple of assists for the £14 million we have spent on him so far. When you consider Stephen Ireland was worth around £8 million of the Milner deal, he's effectively cost us £16.5 million so far. That's just 3 of a vast number of costly players. Just stop for a second to consider this - we have spent £50 million on 3 players that have contributed 4 goals, a handful of assists and mostly very poor performances. At the very least you could say these 3 players have done nothing at all special, and their efforts could have easily been replicated by much, much cheaper alternatives.

Say somehow we did get Lescott and he agreed to a pay cut from 90k/week to 60k/week. We got him at less than the reported asking price, maybe £8 million and gave him a 3.5 year contract. By the end of that contract he will be 34, absolutely no chance of recouping any of the £20 million we would have spent on him, however well he might have played.

We have seen it. But the club finally seem to be learning the lesson. To build a good side, without champions league revenue, a mega-rich owner or racking up huge debts, you cannot make this sort of purchase. If you are going to spend £8 million on a player, they must be young. Their wages cannot break the wage structure. They must be driven to succeed at Aston Villa and they must have a big potential resale value. They cannot be a 30 year old center back, no matter how good you might think he is. That is why I don't think we will try to sign Lescott (unless he is willing to take a really massive wage cut and the fee is unexpectedly low).

Some will say "it's worth it if he keeps us up". But we will never progress as a club if we keep firefighting like this. If we're going to blow big money on a center back, do it on someone like Toby Alderweireld or Simon Kjaer. Young players, but with proven quality. International regulars. Players that could potentially be at Villa for 10 years or make us a fat load of money when they leave. Players currently on salaries we can improve but still manage within the limit. Players that would do anything to prove their worth in the premier league.

Experience is one of a number of attributes a player draws on, and it is one that every player will inevitably gain, you don't have to be naturally blessed with it. Even now when it seems we need experience most, I would take higher overall quality and determination to succeed every single time.

This is what I hope the club's "new philosophy" is all about. It's not about picking a team of lower league players. It's about finding value for money and players that will give everything to succeed at the club, that depend as much on taking the chance the club is giving them as we do on them coming good.

Edited by TJVillan
  • Like 4

Oh no, we might be signing a player from the lower leagues.

HOW FAR HAS THIS CLUB FALLEN!?

The more depressing thing to me is how far had this club had fallen before these lower league players came in?

When actually these players from lower leagues shock horror like Westwood & Lowton have shown the existing sqaud up!

How come the best passer of the ball in the team was signed from Lgue 1?!!! Not Prem Lgue Not Champs but League 1

& only promoted to that league last May - prevuiously Crewe were a lgue 2 side.

Oh silly me.... that's because It's the player you sign.. NOT the team they play for!

Players like David Platt, Neil Lennon, Rob Jones and Dean Ashton came from Crewe - as did Westwood

Players like Jagielka, Kyle Walker & others came to Prem Lgue from Sheff Utd - as did Lowton

Bent, Danny Murphy & quite a few others came to Prem Lgue via Charlton - why not Dale Stephens?

But hang on a minute - Why would anyone not want to sign the Premier Lgue Wonder boys & the WAG footballers -

instead - we're a big club after all - they're fantastic far better!

Maybe it might have something to do with character!!

Footballers are greedy says Gradi

_44758880_dario_gradi_203getty.jpg

Gradi managed Crewe in over 1,000 competitive matches (Getty)

Former Crewe Alexandra manager Dario Gradi has said the money footballers earn is "embarrassing".

Gradi told BBC Radio Stoke: "I could talk for two or three days about how footballers are getting greedier.

"When you think of people that live in poverty then it is embarrassing but that's not to say that there aren't good people in the game."

Gradi managed the Alex for 24 years from 1983 to 2007 and is now the club's technical director.

Lambert apparently said before he walked through the door & publically that he wanted to work with this type of footballer or as Gradi said "the good people"

Not necessicarily lower league players but players who maybe wouldn't be classed as Greedy.

Players who aren't after a quick buck but genuinely love playing football - The Ian Taylors - who were driving fork lift trucks till they were 22 etc who

you know would get on that pitch if he could and die for the Villa cause now - for nowt!

I kinda see where he's coming from and if they'd been a disaster you could maybe slate if for it - but the fact is they haven't have they?

Westwood & Lowton have been two of the better most consistent performers. Yes they've made mistakes but compared to

Stephen Ireland who came from last season's Prem Lgue Champions no less Man City!!!....V Spurs wasn't it? - he was dreadful & he's hardly had a good game since he joined us when you look back.

Mainly it's been the existing squad who've been gash, which is not Lambert's doing - he was asked to work with existing sqaud & add to it.

Now we're being linked with more experienced players because of the pickle we're in & fans are not prepared to see us struggle in a relegation battle -

fans are saying - panic buys - they don't know what they're doing.

To me ALL that has happened is that Lambert has proved some of our players just ain't up to it - they're not up to Prem Lgue week in week out.

So the fact that Nursey seems to be saying there's going to be a real shake up this window - quite frankly is music to my ears dunno about you lot.

Honestly it beggars belief - some of our fans moan if we sign lower lgue players when the ones we've signed look good - they moan even more when we don't sign anyone - they moan if we ship out players who frankly don't want to play for the club cos we won't get enough for them in their opinion & they moan at the mere suggestion that the club might sign a Lescott or a Parker et al to make sure by hook or by crook we stay up!

Sorry but is it me or is something not quite right here - have I missed anything? Or is it just seriel moaning syndrome?

Let's just have a wee bit of patience for the next few weeks - you never know a couple of old heads and young heads - a better spine to the team

& we could be looking mid table & in Europe next season with a Cup in hand by the end of February! You never know - stranger things have

happened.

Like a team that climbed 56 Places in 3 consecutive seasons through the grit & grime right up into the Premier Lgue and then stayed there under the same manager's custodianship.

Hmmm wonder who that might be...he sounds like he might be a good manager should we sack the one we've got & get him in?

Edited by JulieB
  • Like 1

Agree with both above posts mostly.

Think on Lescott though, whilst I agree with the premise about learning from mistakes and running a club properly, there is a different between prudence and simple neglect, there are occasions where you need to accept you may make a loss in the long term, i'd say Lescott would be an acceptable example of this if we could get him, baring in mind also how much new revenue is about to flood the league from the most recent TV deal. I agree that in the main, your theory is the right one, and it's the one we'll adopt long term now and Lamberts pretty much said that in different words. Lescott is a good opportunity for us though if he's available and willing to join and I think we'd be mad to pass it up. Kjaer is a pipe dream for me (so is Lescott though!)