January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

Hopefully have a couple of signings early jan...

2 must buys for me are:

a) a big strong dcm (along the lines of mulumbu at WBA, not saying him but of that ilk)

B) a big strong cb (maybe this ba bloke??)

Both of these need to have quality and experience (not necessary premier league, but top level football and maybe even international). Both also need to be able to go straight into the team and hit the ground running.

Now it won't be cheap to sign players like this, but they are a must.

If we could also add some attacking mids then I would be ecstatic!!

Edt no idea why a face should be b

Edited by mikeyp102
  • Like 1

I only feel comfortable with our goalies right now. We desperately need another striker (Bent) cause Benteke has some awful matches. We need a proper defending mid who can break up challenges and wont be easily pushed off the ball. We also need a whole new backline. Well with Vlaar hopefully will come back soon so we will only need 3 more defenders.

Dire times

We need some physical prescense in the middle of the park. Our players seem very weak and small - Delph, KEA, Westwood, Ireland, Bannan. A sudden gust of wind and they'd all topple over. We needed an Nzonzi or N'Daw in the summer but Lambert didn't see it. Not sure what sort of quality we can attract now having just totally embarrassed ourselves twice in 3 days on Global TV.

I think there will still be a shitload of good players who will want to join us regardless of the last 2 results. We are still a PL club after all.

We need about 4 players as although our defending is poor without Vlaar we are also really struggling to retain the ball and create chances. I'm not a huge fan of us constantly having to rely on counter attacking. Would be nice to control a game against a supposedly weaker team.

We need some physical prescense in the middle of the park. Our players seem very weak and small - Delph, KEA, Westwood, Ireland, Bannan. A sudden gust of wind and they'd all topple over. We needed an Nzonzi or N'Daw in the summer but Lambert didn't see it. Not sure what sort of quality we can attract now having just totally embarrassed ourselves twice in 3 days on Global TV.

i said the same in the summer..when charlie adam was on his way to "stoke"..i said he would add some muscle,can take a corner/free kick, pick a pass.. every one had a right go at me..ffs.. we **** missed one their with the current midfield powder puffs we have now..i put forward the name tom huddlestone for this jan....again loan deal..again slated..hes a spurs reject/not good enough,waste of space etc.. were in a right mess in the midfield,last year ASTON VILLA we looking for jenas to get us out on the mire. here the truth.. we still havnt replaced barry! delph was brought in to replace barry under mon reign. lets not beat around the bush..delph is no barry replacement. so where do we go from here? wba have some better playes in midfield,flex our muscles & get them? the only way aston villa will kick on is over pay players again or expect the same results

Charlie Adam and Tom Huddlestone are not the answer. And the last thing that Charlie Adam adds to a team is 'a bit of muscle'

Charlie Adam and Tom Huddlestone are not the answer. And the last thing that Charlie Adam adds to a team is 'a bit of muscle'

i rest my case ^ ..how the hell is charlie adam not good enough for villa,hes better than every midfield player we have hence where stoke are & where villa are..how the hell is TH got good enough? are you blind ! delph/bannan/herd/kea/holman .are what they are & the league tells you that..NOT GOOD ENOUGH .

I said they aren't the answer and that Adam doesn't add muscle, which he doesn't - he can't tackle, can't break up play and he's crap in the air. He's a Hollywood-ball-passer who can take a Freekick. He's just a tall Barry Bannan.

We need (IMO):

• Somebody who can break up play, intercept the ball, win a header, make crunching (non-delph-like) tackles, muscle players off the ball and then make a simple pass to Westwood to start an attack. Adam can't do this.
    • Somebody like Cheikh Tiote (obviously not him). Reaching for the stars a bit but Etienne Capoue would be great. William Kvist, Liam Trotter, Moussa Sissoko, Pirmin Schwegler, Heiko Westermann would all be players that could do this better than KEA is being made to (he's more of a forward midfielder anyway)

• Somebody who knows how and when to pass like Ireland (and can do it) and also knows how and when to dribble like NZogbia (and can do it), it's no good only being able to do half of the required job for that role behind the striker if we play no wingers.
    • Aaron Hunt has been mentioned a lot on here, he'd be a very good choice. German attacking midfielders are brought through the ranks being taught how to play centrally, on the left, and on the right. By their nature they can drift either way. With us only playing one AM/Winger behind the strikers then a young German (or somebody who plays similar - IE when Kagawa was bought by Dortmund) should be on the shopping list... Considering we have Lambert and Henke at the club, this should be an obvious signing in January.

[*]A proper CB, especially if we persist with 3 at the back, Douglas' contract expires in the summer. Alderweireld is in the Belgium National Team with Benteke (and can drift to the right if we go 3 at the back Alderweireld-Vlaar-Clark/Baker would be a very good back 3.

Huddlestone and Adam are not the answer and I'm sticking to that, we have Bannan anyway so have no need for another wasteful MOTD-Passer like Adam who offers nothing else, Huddlestone looks okay in a midfield with Scott Parker, Dembele, Sigurdsson, Sandro etc but thats only because he has those players around him. Delph, Bannan and KEA would look good if they had players like that around them. Okay, maybe not KEA but Delph and Bannan have had some good performances this season but they need proper midfielders around them.

Guzan, Lowton, Vlaar and Westwood are the most important players in the team, they are consistent, young, filled with potential etc. If we can find some more players like these and Benteke we are on to a winner but they need to be the right type of player in my opinion. Theres no point finding another no-mark midfielder like the two mentioned, we need a big bastard defensive midfielder and somebody with a bit of spark about them.

• Like 1

Buying young players with potential will only get you so far if there is no blend of experience, as has been proven! The fact that everyone from yesterday's line up except Guzan, Holman and El Ahmadi was 23 or under says it all. There is no experience in that team! Holman and El Ahmadi are 28 but this is still their first season in the Premier League and they are clearly not good enough. Out of our whole squad, if you take out 5 or 6 players then we have a squad fit for the Championnship! It's like men vs boys almost every single game. Our midfield is absolutely terrible. Yes we've had rare moments of greatness eg Liverpool away but for the majority it's been desperate.

We need to buy experienced players! People who have been there and done it at Premier League level for years. All these younger lads need to be playing with and learning from older, experienced players. Even if they are just loans to help see us through the rest of the season until it can be addressed properly in the summer.

wow let me know when we sign this magic player who can break up play,do this do that! as i posted earlier .. charlei adam would have added, he can a free kick/corner..we have bannan correct ,can he take a dead ball? NO, charlie adam is no wonder player however he is better than the mob on show. where im coming from is adam should have been brought in the summer.. huddlestone..he ripped us apart 2 years ago when he had luka "im off asap" modric next to him & not the players who you have mentioned. ask any spurs fan if they rate huddlestone. he recently got back into spurs side. he may not be us to spurs level now but he sure as hell is good enough for out on 27th dec 2012 after the last games

FWIW, I dont think Aaron Hunt is realistic, but boy would I love to have him here. Where did everybody on here talking about him start? Was we linked or was it just pie-in-the-sky dreaming?

This season Stats:

Aaron Hunt

2.5 Key Passes per game

2.4 Dribbles per game

Wins 3.1 fouls per game

1.8 successful crosses per game

Passes per Game 45

Pass Success 82%

Stephen Ireland:

0.8 Key Passes

0.1 Dribble

Wins 0.8 fouls per game

0.3 crosses

Passes per Game 27

Pass Success 78%

Charles NZogbia:

Key passes 0.8

Dribbles 0.9

Fouls 1.9

Crosses 0.5

Passes per Game 11

Pass Success 75%

Not saying he's as good as these...but:

Juan Mata

Key Passes 2.6

Dribbles 0.4

Fouls 0.6

Crosses 1

Passes per Game 55

Pass Success 86%

Santi Cazorla

Key Passes 2.7

Dribbles 2.6

Fouls 1.7

Crosses 1.1

Passes per Game 68

Pass Success 89%

David Silva

Key Passes 3.1

Dribbles 1.1

Fouls 0.8

Crosses 1.5

Passes per Game 58

Pass Success 86%

Stats from WhoScored?

Edited by HalfTimePost

wow let me know when we sign this magic player who can break up play,do this do that! as i posted earlier .. charlei adam would have added, he can a free kick/corner..we have bannan correct ,can he take a dead ball? NO, charlie adam is no wonder player however he is better than the mob on show. where im coming from is adam should have been brought in the summer.. huddlestone..he ripped us apart 2 years ago when he had luka "im off asap" modric next to him & not the players who you have mentioned. ask any spurs fan if they rate huddlestone. he recently got back into spurs side. he may not be us to spurs level now but he sure as hell is good enough for out on 27th dec 2012 after the last games

I'm sorry but if the answer is Huddlestone and Adam I'd hate to see what the question is. In no way would either of these players get us out of the mire we find ourselves in. We need players with grit and character. Not a MOTD highlight player who does one good thing every 3 games, nor a player who's injury record is questionable and even when fit struggles to get into the first team (you'd have to question his commitment)

Remember we currently have Weimann, N’Zogbia, Bent, Agbonlahor, Vlaar, Dunne, Gardner (knee) out injured. i'd say that's our first choice CB partnership, our best (despite not performing) winger, our best 2 finishers at the club, our most explosive talent and probably our best young prospect all out. That kind of injury list would cripple 90% of sides. One thing we're missing from that is a DM. We just don't have one on our books. Delph is still IMO an attacking midfielder, as are Bannan, KEA and Ireland. Westwood is a midfield playmaker who has an eye for a pass but you wont see him winning many tackles and Holman, despite his efforts, is no way good enough for our team.

personally think we missed out massively on Diame at WHU. If we can get a player in that kind of mould I'd be a happy bunny. I don't want to see Lambert bringing in half a dozen from the lower leagues in January. I'd rather he spent £10m+ on the one key midfield linchpin we're missing.

If we do bring in a CD and a CM in January, I wonder whether they'll have PL experience or whether they'll be from foreign or lower leagues.

It's been repeated that we need some experience, but who, from the Premier League, could we get?

Huddlestone does have experience and I reckon he'd be available, but he's injury prone, slow and does have a touch of the MOTD's about him.

Adam - Similar to Huddlestone, minus the injuries, adding set pieces, but more importantly, he's probably not available.

I'm struggling to think of PL experienced CD's or CM's that would be available?

(I've only mentioned Adam and Huddlestone as they've been named in the last few pages)

How about the better one of the 'McCarthy/McCarthur' pair from Wigan? McCarthy I think.

Wigan accept decent bids, he has experience, though still being young. But I doubt he'd give us the type of experience we need right now.

Palacious, Guthrie, Collison?... They're not very inspiring.

Tbh, I think I'd rather Lambert went abroad again!

I said they aren't the answer and that Adam doesn't add muscle, which he doesn't - he can't tackle, can't break up play and he's crap in the air. He's a Hollywood-ball-passer who can take a Freekick. He's just a tall Barry Bannan.

You mean he's a tall Barry Bannan who can take a free kick :)