General England thread

kurtsimonw

elsewhere it has emerged that Roy Hodgson refused to accept any wages during his second stint in charge of Inter Milan.

Actually, I tell a lie. While he declined any money for his job, he did concede that he’d accept payment in the form of opera tickets.

Yes, when Inter president, Massimo Moratti, approached Hodgson in 1999 to come back as caretaker manager, Roy decided he’d do it as a favour. Moratti tells The Sun:

‘He didn’t want to be paid, and it was for one month or something. He told me ‘no, no, no, I don’t want to be paid by you. I do it because we are friends and you need me.’

‘I asked him ‘please, I don’t want you to do it without anything from my side. I insisted, and he told me ‘if you insist, I have to say that I will have tickets for La Scala.’

interesting story, always comes across as a good guy

But he's racist! :lol:

• Like 1

My big concern for England in this world cup is the centre midfield. Age wise!

By the time the world cup starts

Lampard will be 36

Gerrard 34

and Carrick nearly 33

That's a bit old isn't it?

Edited by PaulC

He probably doesn't like Gabby though after Gabby said in the press that players are not picked on form under Hodgson like they were under Capello.

which isnt even true. Capello brought Heskey to the World Cup

• 2 months later...

I think that both Gerrard and Lampard will retire after this world cup.

Lampard makes sense do to his age and lack of contribution this season, but he still has a decent 1309 minutes on the pitch as well as four goals and three assists. But it must be tough to not make those classic runs anymore or hit those sweet strikes like he used to.

Gerrard will carry on for at least a season, especially if they qualify for the Champions League. He still holds a pretty high level and has six goals and nine assist in the league. He will retire without a Premier League-throphy though, which is a nice conciliation.

Â