General England thread

kurtsimonw

Bloody hell, apparently he has been on loan NINE times!

But in a good way, the loan system as it should be where players are sent out on loan to lower league clubs on a short term basis to get experience of first team football.  It's a real shame that now we are becoming aclimatised to the loan system existing so that clubs like Chelsea can just buy everybody to stop their rival clubs getting hold of them. 

England aren't a lot better than Montenegro, nice to get a win but if we lost I wouldn't be the slightest bit bothered. Townsend definitely the pick of the team tonight

Really? I think we have thoroughly outplayed them tonight and the scoreline was probably an accurate representation of the balance of play. 

James Milner is becoming the school supply teacher of international football. Comes in does a bit, and then forgotten. Such a shame when he was the key player for us, but I am sure all the trophies and money at city balances it out. England were good tonight but reallly it is a shit group and we should have easily got through, I just cannot wait for a sweaty hot wayne rooney missing a penalty/getting sent off/being injured as we get knocked out by someone like Belgium  in the second round next year. The joy.

England aren't a lot better than Montenegro, nice to get a win but if we lost I wouldn't be the slightest bit bothered. Townsend definitely the pick of the team tonight

Really? I think we have thoroughly outplayed them tonight and the scoreline was probably an accurate representation of the balance of play. 

We were better yes, in every department too (except for Goalkeepers!) but it wasn't like we were in a class above and made them look like a bad team. We're a mile away from the elite nationalities in my opinion and closer in quality to Montenegro than to the Germany's etc. of this world.

Edit: For the size of Montenegro's pop. they have a decent side, that region of the world (Balkan peninsular) produce a disproportionate amount of top sportsmen 

Edited by villaguy

Refreshing to see an England wide player when he runs with the ball actually looking up and see what's happening to his left and right. Good after years of the likes of Walcott and SWP running up blind alleys all the time.

Townsend played well even without he wonder strike,

Thought it was a good performance against a defensive team who have shown before they are tricky to beat but are limited away from their own patch.

Finally a good performance against a decent side without a deserved result to back it up. Shows that when we attack teams we can create stuff, no need to be defensive. When we did sit back for 5 minutes, we conceded. Michael Carrick doing **** all as usual, what's the point of him?

Finally a good performance against a decent side without a deserved result to back it up. Shows that when we attack teams we can create stuff, no need to be defensive. When we did sit back for 5 minutes, we conceded. Michael Carrick doing **** all as usual, what's the point of him?

• Like 1

Yes but Montenegro didn't have much that could hurt us. Its different when we come up against better opposition

Yes but Montenegro didn't have much that could hurt us. Its different when we come up against better opposition

Indeed. My point being sitting back even Montenegro hurt us, so you're backing up what I said. Can't afford to sit that deep against anyone. We were fantastic 2nd half v Brazil when we went at them. We just seem to go up, sit back and get punished. We did it a few times in his group stage and it cost us points.

Indeed. My point being sitting back even Montenegro hurt us, so you're backing up what I said. Can't afford to sit that deep against anyone. We were fantastic 2nd half v Brazil when we went at them. We just seem to go up, sit back and get punished. We did it a few times in his group stage and it cost us points.

Yes very true. I think our defence may be exposed against better sides and the combined age of our central midfield will be 70 by the time the world cup starts. Lampard 36 and Gerrard 34. Surely Hodgson should be looking at alternatives there. Townsend is a big positive. I don't think Wellbeck is good enough!

Â