General England thread

kurtsimonw

I really hope that after Hodgson the FA ditch this ridiculous "English managers only" policy. It doesn't seem to have any real benefits.

Foreign managers aren't much better, Capello is a legend for what he's won but whatever you say he totally fcuked during the 2010 world cup in so many aspects, calling up SWP ahead of Walcott, Warnock and Upson making the final squad, trying to get Scholes out of retirement with Carragher, picking Green as number 1 keeper, going back to 4-4-2 and the embarrassment of drawing 0-0 against Algeria.

Good luck with Woy trying to emulate that.

I didn't say that England should go for a foreign manager, just that they should leave all avenues open and chuck out the ridiculous "English managers only" policy that seemed to define their search for Capello's successor.

I personally would always have an English manager for the senior job, it's just the way it should be imo.

But I think the under 21s and junior sides should have some foreign managers and coaches as I feel that way there could be better development for the youth.

I personally would always have an English manager for the senior job, it's just the way it should be imo.

But I think the under 21s and junior sides should have some foreign managers and coaches as I feel that way there could be better development for the youth.

Why is that the way it should be?

According to wiki he made 31 league appearances that season, 4 FA cup appearances, and 5 league cup appearances.

That man has 57 caps for England, Fowler has 26, say no more.

England used to be blessed with quality strikers late 90s.

When did heskey come along?

I think his partnership with Owen won him a lot of caps. However when Owen retired from internationals, I have no idea how he was still picked.

Heskey came along around 96 and 97.

To the best of my knowledge France, Holland, Brazil, Germany, Argentina, Spain, Italy have never appointed a foreign manager, at least not in the modern era. Some of those nations have been as low as England are currently and fought back, Germany after euro 2000 for example so if those nations can find a way back with one of their own, England can aswell.

Feel sorry for Lambert, you know that as soon as he has a quiet 30 mins he'll be chucked out like last nights leftover takeaway. Rooney however, hasn't had a good 30mins for about 4 seasons in an England shirt and remains a certainty to play when fit.

And people wonder why the national team are so shite.

When you talk about Lambert and Carroll as international players it makes me realise just how low England have sunk. I hated Capello but boring Hodgson is worse. Bring back Graham Taylor.

The strikers at your disposal at any given point are not necessarily a reflection on the manager though. If a manager is looking past unbelievable talent in order to include Lambert and Defoe then fine, criticise him, but in fairness to Hodgson, England at the moment are not blessed with an abundance of riches up front. Thanks to Phil Jones, your one bona fide star is out of action. We can argue for Gabby as Villa fans but he has his limitations and is not ideal as a lone man up front (to put it mildly).
  • Like 1

When you talk about Lambert and Carroll as international players it makes me realise just how low England have sunk. I hated Capello but boring Hodgson is worse. Bring back Graham Taylor.

The strikers at your disposal at any given point are not necessarily a reflection on the manager though. If a manager is looking past unbelievable talent in order to include Lambert and Defoe then fine, criticise him, but in fairness to Hodgson, England at the moment are not blessed with an abundance of riches up front. Thanks to Phil Jones, your one bona fide star is out of action. We can argue for Gabby as Villa fans but he has his limitations and is not ideal as a lone man up front (to put it mildly).

Oh no I agree. its not hodgson's fault. What is his fault is the fact he is so negative and he tends to pick most of his squad from the top 6. He has totally ignored Villa and Gabby might have his limitations but hes worth a place in the squad as is Delph after the way he has started the season. Yes Sturridge is the standout striker!

If you go back to the late 90s, the calibre of england forwards was a world away from what we have now

Shearer

Fowler

Sheringham

Owen

Andy cole

Les Ferdinand

And then the likes of Dublin, collymore, even merson and le tissier pisses all over what we have at the moment

Fowler had a decent spell in 2001/02 with his first season at Leeds.

But he was finished as a top player long before that, 98/99 was his last good season with Liverpool.

Dunno his story well enough to know what happened, but his quality dropped early in his career.

Injuries, burned out, off pitch distractions?

Shearer, Sheringham, Wright, Ferdinand, Fowler, Owen, Phillips, Collymore (for a while). Was a long list of quality strikers back then

Could perhaps say that it's a surprise he wasn't selected for the first three of his 6 great Liverpool seasons,

however that was Shearer's three 30+ league goals seasons with Blackburn.

I'd add Dion Dublin, le Tissier, Andy Cole and Chris Sutton to that list.

There's 10 or so players who could have been picked for the '98 World Cup that would walk into England's starting line-up at the moment.

The drop off in quality and quantity since then is alarming.

To the best of my knowledge France, Holland, Brazil, Germany, Argentina, Spain, Italy have never appointed a foreign manager, at least not in the modern era. Some of those nations have been as low as England are currently and fought back, Germany after euro 2000 for example so if those nations can find a way back with one of their own, England can aswell.

Each country should have a manager from its own countrty,  otherwise why cant you pick foreign players from the premiership as well?? I wouldnt like to see a foreigner lifting the world cup tbh but thats just my opiniion 

Each country should have a manager from its own countrty,  otherwise why cant you pick foreign players from the premiership as well?? I wouldnt like to see a foreigner lifting the world cup tbh but thats just my opiniion

As is usual in a discussion about the nationality of an international manager, only the international super-powers are used as examples. We're not all England, Germany or Argen-bloody-tina!! :)

I assume you dont watch the World Cup final then ;)

• Like 2

I assume you dont watch the World Cup final then ;)

Oh no you di'nt!! :P

Â