Doing a Man City

AvfcTheObsession

It's something I've been thinking about a lot lately, how would you feel if we got a super rich owner and effectively did a 'Man City'?

I know some fans of Man City who refuse to go to games because they feel the club has now lost its true identity, but all I can think is how good it would be to see Villa Park sold out, rocking and with world class players to watch every week along with Champions League football.

Pie in the sky. Probably not worth even thinking about mate.

Don't see why not. We are in the second biggest city in the country, have a massive catchment area to call on for support. There must be other billionaires out there who at some point will be interested in buying a premier league club, Man City weren't exactly much good before their takeover happened.

Who do you know that feels that way? I live in Manchester and know about 25+ City fans through work, they all absolutely love it.

City's PR department is amongst the busiest in the league (admittedly probably due to the huge budget they've got) and most fans feel closer to the club than ever before. They do so many fan events away from match days, and the community team is always running bits in town and at local schools. Yes it may be hollow, fluffy stuff, but the amount of content you see which involves their players makes people feel closer to them by just seeing them chatting like normal people to camera.

Football isn't what it was, you need money to seriously shift your status; and spending it as well as City have off the pitch really helps the fans along the way.

Pie in the sky. Probably not worth even thinking about mate.

Don't see why not. We are in the second biggest city in the country, have a massive catchment area to call on for support.

Our catchment "area" is getting smaller and smaller every year. Young people are walking around the West Midlands wearing Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal and United tops. It's the same for Blues and it's the same for the Baggies/Saddlers/Dingles

A few years ago I'd have taken cityesque money in a heartbeat. Now however it'd probably be the final nail in the coffin for me with football. The money is nonsensical now. Anyone can become a force with enough cash. There's no dynasty building (pardon the Americanism) possible any more like fervor. There's no magic to it any more, just have enough cash and you'll be okay

Tbh now i just want the moneybags clubs to **** off and create a super league to put some magic and unpredictability back into weekly footy on the grander scale.

That's the main reason I like lamberts summer business so much to be honest; there's that unknown factor of the players, the questions about who they are and what they'll be able to do. Give me that any day.

Need to restore some Regional Pride.

I Guess im one of the few that changed from being a Man U fan to a Villa Fan :P

Does your name mean AVFCforeversince1991, then? :lol:

:lol: more like Since 1997. But lets get back on Topic :)

Haha, fair enough.

I'd love us to 'Do a Man City' but there are people currently who go barmy when one of our passes go astray, I get the feeling there'd be more people with that attitude populating the stands, but at least they'd be populated.

And if our cabinet was populated with trophies and our team populated by great players, I could live with it :D

I'm not sure would I want some insanely rich to buy AVFC and build team with huge money, I know football has changed but wouldn't feel "right" to completely buy our way to success.

I know Man Red gets some hatred in here but at least they built on their early success in the first years of PL and they at least used to have a great academy, and it's kinda a shame that they haven't had another crop of great own players.

Football has lost it's soul... Money is everything and honour is nothing.

Yeah, I'd like us to do a Man City - but bear this in mind, it would be kind of like a giant w*nk. Teasing good fun at first, then a ridiculously short feel good factor, then a hollow feeling of 'what was the point of that?' And then, we could do a Pompey/Leeds and we'd probably be the ones that actually went out of business and disappeard. That is going to happen to a well known club sooner or later. Let's hope it's not us.

Personally, I would prefer us to build something on a solid, progressive foundation. That is equally pie in the sky as I know football doesn't work like that anymore. I guess I have my dreams.

Now... to my left hand.

Is it even still possible to do a Man City?

Guess we'll see if QPR are able to take their current spending to the next level like City did and start buying properly good players and then get away with it! But it seems clear that current elite are going to continue crying off to UEFA whenever a new club looks like muscling in on their party, so I guess it'll depend on whether UEFA have the balls to enforce the Financial Fair Play Regs.

Â