Doing a Man City

AvfcTheObsession

I'd effectively stop supporting the club if we 'did a City'. I despise what they are doing.

Why? Its no different to what Man Utd./Blackburn/Chelsea/Arsenal have done to win the league. The team that pays the highest wages usually wins the league. Footballs all about money (that's why its shite) so if we got an owner that would allow us to pay the most wages and win things it would be great. Alot better than being midtable also rans which we will be for the foreseeable future.

We've had a rough couple of years, but this season is a fresh opportunity to watch a bunch of young hungry players gel into a passionate attacking team.

We can get behind the lads and enjoy the roller coaster ride as we regain our pride in all things Villa.

How can throwing shed loads of Arab, Russian or Chinese cash at ultra greedy mercenaries, compare with the pride of building a team properly on our own solid foundations?

Sadly it's the only way to join them. If you try and nurture a team to grow into a challenging team, the current big teams just pick off your best players, as we have experienced, and are left to rebuild for it to happen again. I hate it but there is no other way to achieve. Therefore we have to be happy to finish 6-16th, with decent cup runs, the occasional upset when we topple a giant which is why it's important to play attractively as there is nothing else now for those non "elite" clubs.

I'd absolutely love it if we did a Man City.

Watch players like Aguero week in week out? Yes please.

Win the FA cup? Yes please.

Win the Premier League? Yes please.

Play in the Champions League? Yes please.

The only thing I'd dislike is the "fake" Villa fans that would appear, but that's part of being successful and there's no way around that.

The only way to be successful in the modern game is to do what they've done. I'd be all for seeing Villa win things. I think you'd be crazy not too.

A few years ago I'd have taken cityesque money in a heartbeat. Now however it'd probably be the final nail in the coffin for me with football. The money is nonsensical now. Anyone can become a force with enough cash. There's no dynasty building (pardon the Americanism) possible any more like fervor. There's no magic to it any more, just have enough cash and you'll be okay

Tbh now i just want the moneybags clubs to **** off and create a super league to put some magic and unpredictability back into weekly footy on the grander scale.

That's the main reason I like lamberts summer business so much to be honest; there's that unknown factor of the players, the questions about who they are and what they'll be able to do. Give me that any day.

I'd effectively stop supporting the club if we 'did a City'. I despise what they are doing.

This, and this. It wouldn't be Aston Villa anymore (I'm not 100% sure it is now, TBH).

Add me to the list of people who never want to see Villa doing a Citeh. As Mike alludes to though, I'm not entirely sure most of the PL (us included) haven't already started down that road, just that City did it 100-fold.

I don't understand why you wouldn't?

Football has changed so much.

By saying you don't want to "do a city", you're pretty much saying you'd rather see Villa not win anything!

There's no morality in football, it is what it is, a game about money and whoever spends the most wins the most.

What's the point in taking part if you can't compete? Unless you do something drastic like Moneyball (or an idea like that relevant to football) you have no chance.

First of all I hope the football economic bubble to burst so things can go back to normal again. And when that happens I hope we're prepared and can rule the game with what we have.

But as that is unlikely to happen I guess I'd want some super duper rich guy to take over. And I'd probably enjoy it in a way, but it wouldn't feel the same.

Money destroyed football.

I'm sick at just playing at it and barely treading water, I'm sick of people saying they'll be "happy" if we finish 15th. I'm sick of bending over and taking it in the pooper everytime a "bigger" club comes along to take our best players, I'm sick of barely being mentioned on sports programmes unless its to be negative. I'm sick of that smug bastard Wedderburn smirking each time his precious Man city are mentioned.

I want to WIN trophies and if the only way nowadays is to throw 100 million, 200 million at it so be it, its not my money! It'll still be Aston Villa football club, we'll still play in claret and blue and we'll still have our history with hopefully more to add to it. its the way of the world now, pay for success or be a NOBODY with the occasional fluke win in a cup. I'm sick of my club being football nobodies.

I went to my first game in 1963 and since then we've won a few trophies and I LOVED it! It felt GREAT! I've been in a packed Villa Park with 50 odd thousand baying Villans screaming my club on. I want to do it again and if it means we buy success and dump on the rest of the footballing world so be it, I could care less about being liked by other clubs and thier supporters, they'd all do the same in a heartbeat. Its all fine and dandy having scruples in the business of football just tell me what it wins you, respect? You'll get respect when you win your third title in three years and second European cup!

How can throwing shed loads of Arab, Russian or Chinese cash at ultra greedy mercenaries, compare with the pride of building a team properly on our own solid foundations?

Quite easily. We are currently buying players for low transfer fees and paying them low wages (I assume this is what you mean by building a team properly). Man City are currently buying much better players for high fees and high wages (including buying any of our players should they become half decent). The only difference I see is the amounts of money involved and the chance to win things.

I think alot of fans talk about how they hate city and chelsea because they are jealous. They come up with ways to justify the fact that the club they support is somehow better either eithically better or more local or better history or whatever. The bottom line is that football's all about money and every club techically "does a Man City" just to a lesser extent and with lesser success.

its the way of the world now, pay for success or be a NOBODY with the occasional fluke win in a cup.

This. Its the fundamental reason football's completely broken.

A no from me. Far from wanting to emulate what they have done I would like to draw the money out of the game and make it possible for the likes of Notts Forest to come through win in Europe back to back then bugger off into obscurity again.

There are some good things that the money has done. Grounds are safer to go to, and the facilities are there to provide for human beings rather than to restrict the animals within. I don't miss the element of fear that I had at times getting to and from the ground. Those things I would never want to go back to. I do miss being able to relate to the team and feel that the club was part of the community rather than a business that takes advantage of generations of tribalism and affection.

This is not a criticism of Aston Villa as our club I believe is one of the best for giving and valuing the impact of a football club on its local community. It is a criticism more of football in general and it's lust to drag every last available penny from its frankly unbelievably loyal and often staggeringly naive fan base. A football club is a brutal monopoly for its fan base, we may divorce, we may even (and strangely less likely than divorce) change our bank, but we never change our football club. Once we are in, the overwhelming majority of us are in for life come McLeish or high water.

The money is in the game as we so readily hand ours over. Directly in the form of ticket sales, or indirectly to those who sponsor the game by buying Gillette rather than a Wilkinson Sword or any of the other plethora of corporate hangers on. Even the billionaires are there so we can watch them and make their play thing fun. If we weren’t watching the game wouldn’t be fun anymore and they would toddle off to the next big thing (or back to horse racing). We the fans make this game, but the money is taking it away from us. The sad thing is that we are putting more and more of the money in and the more we put in the less we matter to the game that we make.

We are killing the game with our love for it combined with the ruthless exploitation of that love by those at the top, who care not for the game or for us but only for their bank balances.

I don’t doubt that this is the most pie in the sky hope of this thread that rather than be one of the mega rich teams that one day we can be competing on a level playing field, with teams based on the talent drawn from the local community, but it is what I would wish for if I could make it so.

If the top 4(ish) were to go into a European Super League with no restraints in how much they spend, then the rest of the league played with a proper system to control finances to make it even between all clubs it would eliminate the need have a sugar daddy, in a very naive way I'd like this type of thing to happen though i'm sure there's thousands of reasons why it shouldn't.

When Abramovich bought Chelsea, a mate of mine who had supported them all his life decided he didn't want to anymore because he felt they'd sold out and didn't represent what he wanted to support. He mulled over it and started to follow a few different clubs before coming back to Chelsea because ultimately, they were his club.

I'd absolutely love it tbh.

If the top 4(ish) were to go into a European Super League with no restraints in how much they spend, then the rest of the league played with a proper system to control finances to make it even between all clubs it would eliminate the need have a sugar daddy, in a very naive way I'd like this type of thing to happen though i'm sure there's thousands of reasons why it shouldn't.

Yeah, I kind of agree with you Mr Pie to an extent. My concern is, that with the top four disappearing into their own Euro Superleague (remember, back in 1992/93 and 1995/96, we would have been considered top 4...), what would the credibility be for winning the Premier League? What European (if any) competition would we go in?

Yes, I would like the top 4 to piss off, or play fairer with the rest of the league... But if they cut loose, where would the TV money go, where would the glory hunting fans go, where would the prospective rich owners go, where would the best players go etc? We'd probably be royally left behind moreso than we are now.

It's a tricky one... and I do not know how to solve it...

Mr Baughan from a couple of posts further back... I refer you to an answer I gave some hours previously with reference to a swift Thomas Tank...

Â