Media and punditry

BOF

its just modern football isn't it?

the set piece coach is the current version of the fitness coach, the sports scientist, the data analyst, the nutritionist, the sports psychiatrist etc etc

football and sports evolve, its also such a big business that of course the size of the coaching and support staff will grow

I'm surprised we don't have 2 set piece coaches, 1 for attacking and 1 for defending and that football in general will continue to move towards how the yanks do it where each unit has their individual coaches, the GKs have had their own coaches for years, you see stuff about watkins working with a finishing coach etc all that stuff is coming

murphy being the prick that he is will then come out and say that he didn't need a midfield coach...which is all well and good for you but the reality is all these coaches and team that managers like emery put in place are there because it frees up their time to be better head coaches / managers - and he'll also find that everyone is doing the same so its obviously working 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

its just modern football isn't it?

the set piece coach is the current version of the fitness coach, the sports scientist, the data analyst, the nutritionist, the sports psychiatrist etc etc

football and sports evolve, its also such a big business that of course the size of the coaching and support staff will grow

I'm surprised we don't have 2 set piece coaches, 1 for attacking and 1 for defending and that football in general will continue to move towards how the yanks do it where each unit has their individual coaches, the GKs have had their own coaches for years, you see stuff about watkins working with a finishing coach etc all that stuff is coming

murphy being the prick that he is will then come out and say that he didn't need a midfield coach...which is all well and good for you but the reality is all these coaches and team that managers like emery put in place are there because it frees up their time to be better head coaches / managers - and he'll also find that everyone is doing the same so its obviously working 

You see it all the time on the football podcasts. It happened in the 90s when you had your 80s Liverpool team that dominated lose their shit because they couldn't have steak and chips pre match.

"We won titles on steak and chips..."

People's inability to change or acknowledge change in a workplace is one of my biggest gripes. My office was the same when I moved here. "Well I was taught this." "Well this is the way we always did it"

Well it's not the way we are doing it now. If you think something adds no value stop doing it. If I think something will improve us I'm going to do it.

Get with it or **** off.

I think it's partly self preservation. Some people get too old too lazy to learn or change but instead of acknowledging it or having a tiny bit of awareness they just get bitter.  They don't want to understand. They don't want to see the benefits. They're lazy words removed. So be double stubborn with it.

Danny Muprhy is an absolute waste of oxygen. Laziest pundit there is. His commentary in international tournaments is comedy gold.

"GET ADAMA TRAORE ON. HE'S RAPID. (and the only player I know)"

Edited by rodders0223
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Move with the times , or admit your time has passed and skulk off. Don't get mad at the world for changing

They're not wrong. It's you. Your time has gone. The world has changed. Accept it!

12 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

You see it all the time on the football podcasts. It happened in the 90s when you had your 80s Liverpool team that dominated lose their shit because they couldn't have steak and chips pre match.

"We won titles on steak and chips..."

People's inability to change or acknowledge change in a workplace is one of my biggest gripes. My office was the same when I moved here. "Well I was taught this." "Well this is the way we always did it"

Well it's not the way we are doing it now. If you think something adds no value stop doing it. If I think something will improve us I'm going to do it.

Get with it or **** off.

I think it's partly self preservation. Some people get too old too lazy to learn or change but instead of acknowledging it or having a tiny bit of awareness they just get bitter.  They don't want to understand. They don't want to see the benefits. They're lazy words removed. So be double stubborn with it.

Danny Muprhy is an absolute waste of oxygen. Laziest pundit there is. His commentary in international tournaments is comedy gold.

"GET ADAMA TRAORE ON. HE'S RAPID. (and the only player I know)"

It took me 30 years of work to become bitter, you seemed to have achieved it at a very young age😂.

In all seriousness, the world has changed in the last 30 years more quickly than in any other point in history and many people do get stuck in their ways. Not accepting this will put your in heart attack territory, and not change anybody else. Relax my friend.

Edited by luckyeddie

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

I think he definitely has some personality disorder. Some kind of narcissism definitely.

He also takes great pleasure in telling people how he used to slaughter hundreds of thousands of chickens a week in a previous job.

Would have been nice if Mark Chapman had asked Danny Murphy why he felt his mate Steven Gerrard decided to keep a designated set piece coach around. 

Presumably Murphy holds Gerrard with some regard, wouldn’t it occur to him to enquire why Gary McAllister (or any of the other coaches he brought with him) couldn’t offer set piece advice.

It’s funny, I remember this being discussed at the end of Smith’s tenure and it’s being discussed now. I don’t remember the questioning of it when his mate employed him.

Edited by Mark Albrighton

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Would have been nice if Mark Chapman had asked Danny Murphy why he felt his mate Steven Gerrard decided to keep a designated set piece coach around. 

Presumably Murphy holds Gerrard with some regard, wouldn’t it occur to him to enquire why Gary McAllister (or any of the other coaches he brought with him) couldn’t offer set piece advice.

It’s funny, I remember this being discussed at the end of Smith’s tenure and it’s being discussed now. I don’t remember the questioning of it when his mate employed him.

I kind of agree with this, but then the wider comment that comes out of it is that football pundits aren't 'held to account' in the way that political pundits are, let alone politicians. It seemed like Murphy was taken by surprise by bringing up his prior remarks about set-piece coaches, and that was why he didn't have anything good to say and instead came off petulant and defensive. 

On the one hand, maybe it would be good to try to bring some accountability to these guys, but on the other I imagine a lot of people are watching MOTD for some low-effort chumminess and don't want it to sound like Newsnight. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I kind of agree with this, but then the wider comment that comes out of it is that football pundits aren't 'held to account' in the way that political pundits are, let alone politicians. It seemed like Murphy was taken by surprise by bringing up his prior remarks about set-piece coaches, and that was why he didn't have anything good to say and instead came off petulant and defensive. 

On the one hand, maybe it would be good to try to bring some accountability to these guys, but on the other I imagine a lot of people are watching MOTD for some low-effort chumminess and don't want it to sound like Newsnight. 

I’d be happy seeing more “gotcha” moments. Not so much on MOTD, but elsewhere there is this “X just destroys Y” type punditry. Normally involving Roy Keane. I’m not so bothered about that, but I’d be happy to hear more discussion where the host says “Well, you said that then, what do you reckon now?”. It can be done in a jovial, chummy way. Banter, if you like which is what I think was going on last night.

Alan Hansen had to defend his famous comment when it was routinely brought up. It’s not without precedent.

It would have been nice to hear it said on the show “Well, MacPhee has now worked with three separate managers, they must think he brings something to the proceedings…”.

Or, and maybe this is perhaps somewhat far fetched, Danny Murphy puts his hands up and says “You know what, while we didn’t have this kind of coaching when I played, I accept that the game is always evolving so if top coaches like Unai Emery think there’s merit in it, fair enough.” Took me 20 seconds to think of that.

Maybe he is caught out, not expecting it. In fairness I didn’t think it would come up (is this the first time we’ve scored from a set piece while Murphy was on pundit duties or something?). I suppose I might argue Villa scored from a set piece routine, perhaps a pundit, knowing he is covering the game later that evening should have something outlined ready. Beat Chapman to the punch, as it were.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Straggler said:

What really grinds my gears is that there are really excellent pundits out there, but we end up with joyless clearings in the woods like Danny Murphy getting airtime.

As an example I give you Stuntpegg 

A lot of you will remember her from he coverage of Villa when we were in the championship, as she was one of the very few non Villa related channels to actually do the research, watch the games and actually provide some interesting analysis. 

She doesn't stray out of the lower leagues much, which is to her credit as it is clearly a passion project for her. She also appeared briefly on the Wrexham documentary. Her videos are always well researched, full of insight and display a love and understanding of the game conspicuously absent from the average Sky pundit. And she is funny. 

The only thing she does not have is the professional footballing career behind her, but to my mind you really don't need that if you can evidence thoughtful, accurate analysis that fans actually crave as Nieve can. 

There is real quality out there, but we still have to suffer the old boys network of junk on most forms of high profile media. It's the same attitude that allows Gerrard to become a manager. Elevating people to positions beyond their capabilities because of profile and reputation in a different field.

These days I hardly watch the pundits on TV even for the games I'm watching live. Most people watch TV with another device or two Infront of them and I'm no different. At half time I'll mute the TV so I don't have to suffer the 13 minutes of adverts and 2 minutes of bland platitudes. Instead I'll probably be on here or joining a live watch along on YouTube or something.

At the final whistle I'll do similar. Post game analysis I'll watch on YouTube. And MOTD is rendered irrelevant as Sky publish all the highlights pretty quickly anyway. I'm still consuming an awful lot of football content, but very little that involve Danny Murphy, Graham Souness, Micah Richards, Joe Cole, and the rest. They are an awful long way from drawing me back in.

I remember her from when we were in the Championship, she's great. Really knowledgeable which is a rare trait in the football youtube space.

If she were ever hired to be a pundit, you know for sure that people will be bemoaning her being a "diversity hire", can't stand her voice etc etc. The punditry-watching demographic like seeing familiar faces and appeal to what the perceive to be authority over any sort of insightful commentary. It must be true because it's coming from Roy Keane, Graeme Souness etc. They tell it like it is! There's no incentive for these media corporations to change that.

• Like 2

Headline on ESPN website - "Premier League grades after 10 games"

Me - 'Awesome, be interesting to see what they say about us.'

Open article to find out it only grades Tottenham, Arsenal, Man City, Liverpool, Newcastle, Manchester United & Chelsea.

**** off.

Edited by Hornso

7 hours ago, Hornso said:

Headline on ESPN website - "Premier League grades after 10 games"

Me - 'Awesome, be interesting to see what they say about us.'

Open article to find out it only grades Tottenham, Arsenal, Man City, Liverpool, Newcastle, Manchester United & Chelsea.

**** off.

The headline is "grading the big clubs"

😂 words removed

On 31/10/2023 at 18:42, foreveryoung said:

Goldstien playing up again on Talkshite. Apparently if Man United come knocking, Emery's gone. 😂

I'd say it's click bait, but I think he really believes it, being a typical Man U fan boy, complete word removed.

He's the biggest word removed on talksport and there's many to choose from

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

He's the biggest word removed on talksport and there's many to choose from

Too right, I listen to him on drive with Darren Bent, I get the feeling Benty don't like him either, he never goes out with him after working. Goldstein is always joking he don't like the public, when he actually don't, thinking he's some sort of celebrity, calling Robbie Williams Bob when he was on, like it's his best pal, claims to have most of the Man U players mobile numbers, has a ego the size of Zlatan Ibrahimovic but by far can't back it up, he's a no one, complete word removed.

• Like 1

Â