Media and punditry

BOF

They're all afraid to rock the boat. About the only one to make a controversial point was Matthew Syed (a table tennis player FFS) questioning the morality of Abramovich's wealth on SSN. Haven't seen much of him since.

Vincent Kompany was on Match of The Day and he was terrible to be honest. He very rarely gave any good insights and he chickened out of questions regarding Toure's dive, Fellaini's elbow, who is going to get relegated and the offside goal in the Man City Southampton game. I understand why he was reluctant to answer those questions, but it begs the question should we have a current player in the studio during match of the day? I personally don't think so. I know he has to be in the changing room with these player's in the future, but if he is not going to open up and give honest answers what is the point in being there.

In all honesty?  It's because Man City were the early kick off and Match of the Day is filmed all of ten minutes up the road from the City of Manchester Stadium.  I assume Kompany is friendly with Lineker and co and he turned up on the show as a result of sheer opportunism.  He wasn't a very good pundit though and again it begs the question why the Match of the Day don't have a journalist on the panel for their football coverage. It's not like the BBC don't have any football correspondents on their books is it? 

Has he been seen since?

Probably not, but being on TV is not really his day job.  He works for The Times and isn't really struggling to get his work published
Edited by The_Rev

It's quite amusing watching the simpletons on Sky Sports trying to debate someone who comes at a discussion able to articulate more than the established and acceptable soundbites.

• Like 1

Neil Lennon came across superbly on MOTD2 tonight. I'm always slightly suspicious of a manager's success at Celtic, because there is no challenge there. Seemed a really engaging, honest and intelligent bloke- a proper modern football thinker in the vein of Martinez/Rodgers. I'd back him to the hilt if he one day became Villa manager.

Didn't really mean it as a jab at Lambert. I just thought Lennon came across really well and that my opinion of him as a potential coach of whoever it might be in the future has radically changed. Lambert can be as uncommunicative as he likes, and I still back him and hope he can succeed- we'd do well to pull (with our budget) another European Cup winner as a player/Villa fan/manager who earned successive promotions with a team. I'm just starting to really doubt his ability as a modern tactician and motivator (much like O'Neill once things start going wrong). I hope he can pull through.

I think Lennon, as someone that may be looking for a new challenge at some stage, would be a great appointment for someone, whoever that may be.

• Like 1

Forgive my ignorance. What makes him a prick?

I'll admit I had my doubts about him previously. He did seem to know his game though, and alongside Neville is the most interesting pundit I've listened to in a while. I guess that doesn't always make someone an able coach..

Neil Lennon came across superbly on MOTD2 tonight. I'm always slightly suspicious of a manager's success at Celtic, because there is no challenge there. Seemed a really engaging, honest and intelligent bloke- a proper modern football thinker in the vein of Martinez/Rodgers. I'd back him to the hilt if he one day became Villa manager.

really? a man that was struggling when Rangers were still competitive and got beaten by Shaktear Karagandy and Sion in Europe. Id rather we stay away from any Celtic connections from now on

also fact he is an absolute prick would be another reason id want him far away

Agreed, he's a prick, wouldn't fancy him to succeed too much in England.

He was pretty good on MOTD 2 though, recommend an iPlayer viewing :thumb:

Soccer Saturday on Sky is absolutely f****** dreadful. What the f**** Paul Merson is doing with a job that involves speaking I have no idea. Its so painful listening him bumble through each programme mispronouncing players names and constantly contradicting himself in the same f******** sentence!!!

AAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH!!!

He's a shit manager and an absolute word removed, I would not back him if he were Villa manager. 

Paul Merson is not the most articulate, but I do love the 'banter' on the show. Usually big nose Thompson who gets it. I haven't watched it for a while though.

Really? Its the "banter" that makes me want to throw my laptop through the window. (Not that I'm watching it on an illegal stream or anything).

i like it, soccer saturday at times feels like a bunch of football fans watching football rather than a bunch of ex pros robbing a living, hard to explain how sky seem to get it right whereas final score to me feels completely forced, none of the ex pros look comfortable or sound convincing, i think the guys sky use dont come across as smug or have an aura of "im an ex footballer so i know more than you" whilst talking about football at a level so basic it would bore my missus (alan shearer...)

MOTD compared to goals on sunday is the same

Oh my word. How about this little gem from Andy "top, top player Clive" Townsend:

"Wigan need to get to 90 minutes as quickly as they can".

Well Andy. My guess is that it will take them 90 minutes to get to 90 minutes. 

How on Earth did he get that gig?

• Like 1

Oh my word. How about this little gem from Andy "top, top player Clive" Townsend:

"Wigan need to get to 90 minutes as quickly as they can".

Well Andy. My guess is that it will take them 90 minutes to get to 90 minutes. 

How on Earth did he get that gig?

Townsend is a bellend of the highest order and has literally zero insight. He is absolutely putrid when commentating on England games, he's a parrot and a cheerleader, it's amazing that he played for Ireland.  

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Â