Football Manager 2013

AndyClarke

Anyone give me some tactical help.

Only got the game a few days back, started as Villa and have got one of the transfer updates.

GK: Goal Keeper : Defend : Brad Guzan

DR: Full Back : Support : Matt Lowton

DRC: Central D : Cover : Ron Vlaar 

DLC: Central D: Defend : Jores Okore

DL: Full Back : Support : Antonio Luna

DMC: Anchor Man : Defend : Cheikhou Kouyate / Yacouba Sylla

MRC: DLP : Defend : Ashley Westwood / Will Hughes

MLC: BTB : Support : Fabian Delph / Kareem El Adhmadi

STR: Defensive Forward : Attack : Gabriel Agbonlahor / Leandro Bacuna

STC: Target Man : Attack : Christian Benteke / Niclaus Helenius

STL: Defensive Forward : Attack : Andi Weiman / Alexsander Tonev

Now my philosophy is rigid, with control, shorter passing and more pressing.

In terms of team instructions I've gone for wide play it's at about 6 notches to the right.

Slow tempo around 5 notches to the left.

Time wasting is also at often about 5 notches to the left.

Focus passing mixed, the MRC is the play maker & STC target man with supply mixed.

Marking zonal.

In terms of player instructions, the Gk has hold up ball yes and long kick to target man.

Both full backs have slightly shorter passing down about 3 notches, the boy have run with ball often, cross often, wide play is hug touch line, and their closing down was reduced 3 notches to just above own area.

Both centre backs have short passing Okores is down to the very end with Vlaars 3 notches to the right of the end. Both have hold up ball no, and closing down reduced to own area, tight marking yes.

DMC has very short passing as well down to the extreme left and hold up ball no. Tight marking yes.

MRC has short passing, hold up ball yes, through balls often everything else rarely, tight marking no.

MRL has mixed passing, hold up ball yes, through balls often, run from deep, run with ball, all often, with long shots sometimes, higher closing down and tight marking yes.

STR has wide play move into channels, through balls sometimes, cross ball often byline target man. Hold up ball no.

STC is on default settings bar run with ball often and hold up ball and through ball sometimes.

STL has wide play cut inside, through balls sometimes, cross ball often byline target man. Hold up ball no.

Now I won all my preseason games convincingly, then spanked Arsenal 4-1 they got a 89min consolation at home, then spanked Southampton 3-0 away. Now my problem, my tactic is designed to frustrate the opposition but also keep the ball, in both games I've had 34% & 36% possession. Passing % were low, Ive shout pass to feet on, not sure on the stats from the Arsenal game but on the Southampton game I'd 5 shots, 4 on target, 3 goals. Southampton had about 13, 6 on target and no goal. I'm just worried I'm going to go out and get a hiding next game, anyone help stamp my mark on a game more?

From what I can see you're playing with 3 strikers, not one striker and two wingers, right?

Maybe because you're set to wide play your midfielders look to get it out wide but fail to reacht your wide-men because they're not dropping deep enough. Maybe try switching them to be wingers with the Inside Forward setup. They'll still cut inside and get a fair amount of goals but they'll also help with build-up play more, and also help out with supporting your fullbacks, who look vulnerable as it is.

Other than that, how familliar is your team with the tactic? If they're no very used to it, it could take a while for them to tick.

Finally the pressing might be causing your players to drift out of position, so when they do win the ball they'll have no-one to lay it off to. Not too sure about this, but it might be a factor.

Thanks, I've since tweaked it but before I did, I had Wolves in the Capital One Cup, took an early lead but was ultimately down 2-1 before Gabby got a last minute goal to send it to extra time, Vlaar scored in the 121st minute before Kevin Doyle scored straight from tip, won 4-2 on pens, After this I decided that Wolves shouldn't be dominating me so made a few tweaks, I've lowered the passing of the strikers to short from mixed and for games where I'm favourate I've changed the box to box midfielder to advanced play maker support, with the deep lying player maker to support also as I feel it would give us more of the ball, and the ability to dictate a bit more. For the purpose of this thread I'll call the initial tactic the away tactic and the one with the more supporting midfielders the home one. So first the away tactic with no changes at home to Arsenal & away to Southampton.

2888e2f.png

1zcgthi.png

Then away to Wolves when heavily favoured, with once again the unchanged away tactic.

2hdbspd.png

I had Newcastle away next and this was the game where I realised I had to change something.

1z3mlb8.png

Then I made the tweaks and changed to the home tactic but also lowered the passing of all the strikers for both the home and away tactic, next up was Everton at home where we were slight favs.

nyb2vk.png

Although I wanted a higher level of possession, we dominated 9 shots on target to Everton's none! Possession was up 8% from the Newcastle game, with pass completion up 15%.

Next I had Man City at home and reverted to the away tactic with the lower passing for the strikers, results were phenomenal, we played some Barca like stuff in the final third.

20tnr6e.png

Granted we only had 41% of the ball, which is still up 5% from the last time I used this tactic away to Newcastle, but versus Newcastle we conceded 19 shots while only having 4. Here we matched City with 16 each, managing 9 on target to City's 5 and if Joe Hart didn't have such a great game it would have been a lot more.

Anyways that's me done with taking over the thread for now ;) utv 

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't not post this, it had me laughing out loud. From a fictional villa fm story. Connolly is the fictional managers name, though I guess you'd figure that out.

http://www.fmscout.com/q-7170-The-Lions-of-Aston-Villa--Becoming-King-of-the-Jungle-Once-More.html?d=2\

The second thing should be in a quote box, but i scewed that up. 

Brett Holman will join Championship side, Leicester, for £1m in January while Richard Dunne has agreed terms on a £500,000 New Year switch to Sunderland where he will link up with former boss Martin O'Neill.

The Dunne deal was in jeopardy when O'Neill and Villa counterpart Connolly agreed to meet in Newcastle to finalise the finer details of the transfer.

After a few Guinness, the two countrymen ventured in to the city to experience the famous hospitality and legendary Geordie women.

Connolly awoke in a trashed Premier Inn room beside a large Lithuanian woman and a very confused Paul Gascoigne.

Martin O'Neill is still missing.

The Boardroom

boardroom_49137.jpg

LERNER: "Welcome gentlemen, how are you both?"

CONNOLLY: "Not too bad, thanks."

CANTONA: "A leetle tipsy." 

LERNER: "Professional as always Eric." 

"Anyway, as you can see from my e-mail, Celtic have made an approach for you, Jason. Their chairman, Desmond White is holding a press conference later today after he relieves Neil Lennon from his duties. Second place and seven points off the pace in a league minus Rangers is unacceptable in his eyes."

"He's offered us £2.5m in compensation for you." 

CANTONA: "£2.5m??? That ees an eensult, get him on ze phone now!!!" 

LERNER: "Eric, calm down... Jason, your thoughts?"

CONNOLLY: "Randy, I love this club, I've been a supporter since I was a boy. So was my dad. We are going places and I have no intention of leaving, I signed a three year deal and that will be honoured.

LERNER: "Exactly what I wanted to hear.... Eric, are you crying?"

CANTONA: "Non, I just have some something in my eye!" 

CONNOLLY: You look like you're crying.

LERNER: Yeah, you do.

CANTONA: "Ooooh, so ze enigmatic Frenchman has to be devoid of feelings?"

"If you must know, that is ze most beautiful thing I have heard uttered in this boardroom, Jason!" 

"Your loyalty is second to none, just vonderful. You are a marvellous human being and I respect you for staying true to your club."

Cantona storms out, unable to hold back any more tears.

LERNER: "What a fruitcake."

CONNOLLY: "I know. But he means well."

"Anyway boss, I need to kick on and get the lads ready for Burnley, see you soon."

LERNER: "See you later."

Connolly exits.

A pleased Lerner flicks the projector screen on and Gangnam Style comes pounding through the speakers. 

LERNER: (To self) No one is around and I've just kept hold of the brightest young manager in the world.... 

"OPPA GANGNAM STYLE!!!!" 

The American business tycoon, in a moment of pure joy, kicks out of his chair and dances to the music...

gangnam_49137.jpg

Connolly re-enters the room.

CONNOLLY: "Just left my phone on the desk boss!"

mother-of-god-meme_49137.jpg

LERNER: "Jason... I was just.... Ehhh...."

Connolly shuts door and leaves.

Edited by Rovers13

This game can be so infuriating at times. Started my second season with Sutton Utd in fine form, only for no reason what so ever to then go on a dreadful run.

3-1 w

5-2 w

5-2 w

1-0 w

3-0 w

3-1 w

Followed by:

2-3 L

1-4 L

1-4 L

2-2 D

tumblr_mh8w29IoLA1rmdc6po1_400.gif

• Like 1

Sergi Samper, Lorenzo Crisetig, Philip Foose (Regen that usually shows up on the 26th of December), Alvaro Vadillo, Gianluca Caprari...

These are some youngsters that usually turn out good or even World class.

Edited by Withinpurple

Thinking of doing a Heskey challenge later. Start as Barca, sign Heskey, sign who I want but I have to play Heskey as a lone-stricker in every game as long as he's fit. If he gets over 15 goals in the league, I'll count it as a success.

• Like 2

RE: Benteke's stats.

Although he seems to not run fast because of his stature and also his running style, I think he is pretty quick. I'd say his acceleration is decent, maybe around 14? He can stop and start very quickly. His top speed at maybe 14 too, possible 15?

I'd say that is decent in comparison to his strength, which must be 19 or 20.

---

Anyway, going to start an Aston Villa save and hopefully do well, fingers crossed. No signings over 25.

Edited by samjp26

you download it then stick it in -

my documents - sports interactive - football manager 2013 - editor data

you might have to create the editor data folder yourself, you might also need to download the editor off steam but I'm pretty sure you don't have to

Â