Ashley Westwood

Nabby

6 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Didn't Gabby have a PL game last season where he made the same amount of touches?

I don't think he played again that season?

Hopefully the same is true of Westwood.

The number 9 rings a bell regarding Gabby, i stand to be corrected though.  

14 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

In 45 minutes, Ashley Westwood managed 3 touches and 2 passes in a central midfield role.

Surely this is indefensible? 

Surely this must be the straw that broke the camel's back for those who have backed him up to now?

It's absolutely shameful - no wonder Bruce hooked him at half time. I just hope the Wolves rumours are true and we never see him cowering in fear at the thought of physical contact again.

• Like 4

Surely,  surely his time is now up?  Bruce dropped him when he first arrived but has brought him back into the team more recently.  I pray he has now seen the error of his ways. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

In 45 minutes, Ashley Westwood managed 3 touches and 2 passes in a central midfield role.

I was just reading that. 

My god. That's a whole new level of terrible. 

Actually mind blowing, I think he's garbage but that has truly stunned me. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I went to start typing and then I had an ephinany. Im taking a break from VT for a few days....

I hope his performance today and substitution at half time puts the daft suggestion that it's down to the way Bruce plays to bed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phumfeinz said:

I was just looking to see when his contract expired and he signed a 5-year contract in 2015. 

Please buy him Wolves.

Yet another utterly bonkers situation to find ourselves in. 

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

It's absolutely shameful - no wonder Bruce hooked him at half time. I just hope the Wolves rumours are true and we never see him cowering in fear at the thought of physical contact again.

I've always said that its not just his fear of contact that marks him out as a poor midfielder, but his unwillingness to try anything more ambitious than the most basic of passes. And that cowardice won't change whatever division he plays in, which is why the idea that he may do well in this league was way of the mark, you need a pair of balls whichever league you play in, and sadly, Westwood has none. 

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I hope his performance today and substitution at half time puts the daft suggestion that it's down to the way Bruce plays to bed. 

I also hope that people start cutting Bruce a bit of slack regarding our style of play. When your midfield contribute 9 passes you're pissing in the wind whatever you try and do..

48 minutes ago, Eaglevillan82 said:

We've played 25 games this season and amassed 35 points.

Westwood has started 17games, from which we've gained 15 points. 4 of those 15 points in the 6 games he started alongside Gardner. Compare that to the 20 points we've amassed from only 8 games when he didn't start.

It might be a little unfair to lay all the blame at his door, but the figures don't lie. And given his unfortunate association with our demise over the past 3 - 4 years, it's clearly time for Aston Villa and Ashley Westwood to seek different paths.

Further proof that saying the team aren't up to it without him is complete nonsense. 

Haven't seen any of the game today. Didn't even know the result until just now (last day off work so spent it with the kids), but these Westwood stats are completely defenceless. And Gardner for that matter. 

For me, it's not about having a 'side' anymore. We can't have the fans at loggerheads over a player. We just need to trust in Bruce to sort the midfield out. He will, in pretty confident. We can't have a midfield having zero impact on a game and I think Bruce is well aware hence his post match comments.

i don't think it's the end for Westwood, I think he will drop into 4/5/6th choice midfielder and only come in when needed. Unless another club does come in, then I'd be fairly confident in him leaving.

I think he will make a good player for a team lower end of the championship, but we need to get rid pronto, relegation had destroyed him - made him even worse, he needs to move on for the sake of the club and himself.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DK82 said:

I think he will make a good player for a team lower end of the championship, 

Disagree mate. He doesn't have the fight to play in midfield at any decent level.