Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I think we have all seen enough to suggest that what Westwood can currently do, is limited. 

Have you seen him play in a fast paced, attacking team? 

Yes the first year under Lambert.

It's like you're excusing his shiteness because of Lambert's approach, yet Weimann, Delph, Benteke for example all had sustained success going forward under Lambert. Ashley Westwood very rarely showed anything.

Every player is limited to some degree, so that is a really vague criticism.

Ok, Il be specific. Other than pass it sideways, backwards or the very occasional gem of a forward pass, Ashley Westwood can do pretty much, nothing.

His dead ball delivery is mediocre at best. He holds position well without marking anyone in particular. His passing is decent - with the odd gem of a ball - but he lacks a bit of dynamism.

As it stands, he is too much like Delph and Cleverly. We are better off only having 2 out of those 3 on the pitch at the same time as too much of the same thing in midfield hinders rather than helps....

... and Westwood, rightly, is the one to warm the bench.

I think we have all seen enough to suggest that what Westwood can currently do, is limited.

It's like you're excusing his shiteness because of Lambert's approach, yet Weimann, Delph, Benteke for example all had sustained success going forward under Lambert. Ashley Westwood very rarely showed anything.

The first year under Lambert where he had 7 assists in the league? Maybe like other players Westwood has been held back by our defensive set up over the past season and a half? I've always maintained that he needs to play further forward instead of being the deepest sitting midfielder, he gets criticised for being too slow but in the second half vs wba in the cup he pushed up and was taking up great positions in attack and had a good effort blocked as well as being up along side sinclair when he scored the second. I'd like to see him given more of a chance to play with more freedom as he has the skill set to cause teams alot of problems.

I'm not excusing him of anything because there is nothing to excuse and I also don't believe we played fast paced attacking football under Lambert. I just don't understand why he is consistently labelled as shit when he just isn't.

• Like 1

He's one of our best players, and the most comfortable on the ball, which is saying something considering he came Crewe Alexandria. And there's nothing to say he can't play in a 442, he plays the way he does in a three man midfield because that's the role you need someone to play when your playing that formation. I think he could hold his own in most teams in the Premier, not saying he'd be first choice of course, but wouldn't embarrase himself.

I'm not excusing him of anything because there is nothing to excuse and I also don't believe we played fast paced attacking football under Lambert. I just don't understand why he is consistently labelled as shit when he just isn't.

I think it might have something to do with the position he plays in. Deep-lying midfielders are often criminally underrated. Petrov used to be constantly slated as well. Not saying Westwood is as good as he was but both have been the default scapegoat.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 2

Some seem to think if your not running around at 100 MPH being the last action hero or something, then your no good as a midfielder. Sometimes you need someone who can put their foot on the ball and slow things down or bring a bit of composure to a game.

Agree with most above. It's truly bizarre how much flak he gets.

As it stands, he is too much like Delph and Cleverly. We are better off only having 2 out of those 3 on the pitch at the same time as too much of the same thing in midfield hinders rather than helps....

... and Westwood, rightly, is the one to warm the bench.

Would agree with this. Doesn't offer enough in a midfield 2. Should play as part of a midfield 3 against the top sides though.

• Like 1

Some seem to think if your not running around at 100 MPH being the last action hero or something, then your no good as a midfielder. Sometimes you need someone who can put their foot on the ball and slow things down or bring a bit of composure to a game.

Perhaps if he didn't lose possession so much or balls up so many set pieces he wouldn't get so much grief.

Perhaps if he didn't lose possession so much or balls up so many set pieces he wouldn't get so much grief.

No argument on the set pieces.

But he's probably the best player in our squad at keeping possession.