Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I think this is fantastic news for the club and for ash and proof to me that somebody is giving a bit of forward planning too. I would have actually given him a 6 year contract make it heavily incentivised but with a sensible basic salary. I know 6 years is a risk with injuries etc but to me it shows faith in him and would give him a massive confidence boost like Arsenal did with fabragas, plus if he does turn out to be as good as we think he is and one of the top clubs comes knocking then we can get an even bigger fee for him. Also this shows me as well that you can create a side to compete in the premier league with good quality youth products combined with excellent young talent in the lower leagues and then add in 2/3 more experienced players. I genuinely think there are more rough diamonds in league one/two similar to lowton and westwood and I think we are the perfect club to find them and develop them and from a commercial point of view they don't require huge wages either.

Westwood was a pleasant surprise last season - great that we've tied him down for another 4 years. He seems to be grateful and loyal to Lambert and committed to the cause - very important attributes. 

Yes great news but contracts really don't mean too much in keeping players at your club.

If Westwood has an even better new season then i have no doubt the vultures will swoop again.

wasnt he about 400k as well. Proper bargain. think I read we paid about 1.5m for both him and Lowton

There is all sorts of differences in the supposed transfer fees. I have just literally read in one article that Westwood was 750,000 and Lowton was 3m. 

wasnt he about 400k as well. Proper bargain. think I read we paid about 1.5m for both him and Lowton

There is all sorts of differences in the supposed transfer fees. I have just literally read in one article that Westwood was 750,000 and Lowton was 3m. 

am sure they were undisclosed and media guessed them. I guarantee no way was Lowton 3million

am sure they were undisclosed and media guessed them. I guarantee no way was Lowton 3million

I would imagine that 1m for Westwood and 2m for Lowton wont be too far from the truth. 400k seems a little cheap to me.

• Like 1

Yes great news but contracts really don't mean too much in keeping players at your club.

If Westwood has an even better new season then i have no doubt the vultures will swoop again.

I hear what you are saying and pretty much agree with it, but something tells me this guy will be the exception to the rule.

He's been talking up how much he loves it here and what a great club we are.

At least some people are grateful.

Would say that the fact No clubs are offering to nearly quadruple his wages could be a factor in that as well though.

Would say that the fact No clubs are offering to nearly quadruple his wages could be a factor in that as well though.

:rolleyes:

Yes I saw that club statement too, where it said, 

"Having received his transfer request, we have also informed him that should we receive an offer within an appropriate timeframe during pre-season which meets our valuation we would act upon it. But he will remain a Villa player should this not happen, despite the fact that TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR are offering him £80k and we refuse to up his contract from the £20k he current receives."

• Like 1

Yes I saw that club statement too, where it said, 

"Having received his transfer request, we have also informed him that should we receive an offer within an appropriate timeframe during pre-season which meets our valuation we would act upon it. But he will remain a Villa player should this not happen, despite the fact that TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR are offering him £80k and we refuse to up his contract from the £20k he current receives."

Im not sure what your point is? Im merely pointing out that it is far easier to say what Westwood has said when your in Westwood's position as oppose to Benteke. I dont see much indication that Westwood has too many other choices tbh.

But if he's on bigger and longer contract then he'll cost more.

Which means it'll either deter clubs or we'll get more for him if he does go.

• Like 1