Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

Lambert rode his luck with us, but we still shipped a shed full of goals.

Maybe that luck has finally run out for him.

lol, your a wind up merchant and a pretty shit one.

Your ridiculously ungrateful for what he did for your club, I appreciate you was never going to send him away with a pat on his back but lets not judge him quite yet.

I honestly don't mean to wind you Villa lads up but only now since our defence has been compleatly rebuilt, do we realise how bad it realy was.

The trouble is its been at the expense of our attack....now we couldn't score in a brothel!

Love that since this comment, they've shipped 6 goals and have looked defensively shoddy. Good job that 'compleatly rebuit' defence has sorted you out once and for all.

We are a young side and we are going to make mistakes, we are going to throw winnable games away from time to time this was possibly one of them, but we will improve and our squad will mature. This was never a quick fix, this is the kind of project that will take time. If some of us are enjoying Villa's football now and enjoying the excitement, just wait until we are nearer the finished article to 2-3 seasons time.

We are a young side and we are going to make mistakes, we are going to throw winnable games away from time to time this was possibly one of them, but we will improve and our squad will mature. This was never a quick fix, this is the kind of project that will take time. If some of us are enjoying Villa's football now and enjoying the excitement, just wait until we are nearer the finished article to 2-3 seasons time.
Agreed.

Something else to remember is that West Brom for example have had stability over recent years (despite the managerial changes). The philosophy has been the same there and most of their key players have been there a while. We on the other hand are at the beginning and most of our main players are either new or just breaking into the team. Our starting line-up today for example mostly had very little experience of playing together. Benteke, Vlaar, KEA, Lowton, Holman and Bennett are all Lambert signings and the likes of Delph and Guzan haven't really appeared much for us prior to this season. McLeish didn't really change much when he came in last season (except make everything worse) whereas Lambert has come in and completely revamped everything. This will all take time to come together.

I'm confident we won't go down though. We've already shown massive improvements on last season and I think things will get better the longer the players have had to gel.

There are reasons to be cheerful - absolutely loved the energy we showed against Swansea, and then certainly in the first half yesterday... We'll be lucky to keep Holman you know... We seemed to run out of breath a little in the 2nd half, but showed a lot of spirit to get back into the game and earn a very respectable derby draw agains the top team in the Midlands (albeit temporary... you Tesco bastards!!)...

I thought the substitutions came maybe a little later than I would have expected given how the game was going - but they certainly worked.

Delph was the weak link yesterday I'm afraid, numerous instances of being caught in possession or just idly giving the ball away.

We are showing a lot more than under the last two managers - difficult season or not, we're showing signs of life, which is all you can ask at the moment from this great club...

Morpheus, one Fulham will stump up the wages, second it's London and third Martin Jol his previous manager so yes he'd join Fulham!

Your last two points i agree with to some extent that those would have been factors in Berbatov's decision but maybe Fulham were the only club to come in for him?

If we bid for Dempsey who would have been looking for high wages, then i don't think Berbatov's wages would have been an issue.

After watching the game today it again confirms what my thinking was since the transfer window closed.

We're going to struggle badly this season again and with all due respect to those who think we've improved i would suggest you take off your claret & blue tinted classes. We still have the problem of no creativity in midfield and no amount of guts and passion is going to make up for that.

Lambert has spent, what, 17m, and still we don't have a number ten to connect midfield to our forward line. He spent 7m on Benteke and to be frank that money has again been wasted when we could have got Berbatov for 5m.

Our defence hasn't really improved either and i am very concerned for the season ahead.

I think you support the wrong team TBH. All you ever do is post negativity. You'd be better off with City or Chelsea if you want to see world class players week in week out.

If you can't see the improvement under Lambert then you're either blind, trolling or have never seen footy before.

We had something like 16 chances today. How is that not creative?

I've seen you react this way before when someone posts something you don't agree with. Not good. So rather than try and debate your insulting remarks, i'd prefer not to give you any respect in doing that.

Berbatov was moving to Italy until the London option came up.

On a more general note, I think people already are forgetting how dire last season really was.

And the thing is despite having Mr Relegation in charge, we still didn't go down.

So I really don't see us going down now under a better manager especially with the attacking football will in the long term win us more games (again remember we only won SEVEN league games last season and still didn't go down).

There are still poor teams in this league, I'd argue Reading an Norwich are worse than what was at the bottom last season and Swansea's goals are drying up.

Look at our starting line up

Guzan - wasn't playing last season

Lowton - new player

Vlaar - new player

Clark - wasn't playing last season, at least not as a CB

Bennet - new player

Holman - new player

El Ahmadi - new player

Ireland - injured most of last season

Delph - injured last season / Westwood - new player

Gabby - injured most last season

Bent - injured most of last season / Benteke - new player

That's an entire starting 11 who didn't really play for us last season. How many other teams can field that (as a genuine potential starting 11)?

It's inevitable they are going to take a while to settle. We've picked up some useful points on the way so far, so I think as we get more and more sorted we'll start picking up more and more points.

After watching the game today it again confirms what my thinking was since the transfer window closed.

We're going to struggle badly this season again and with all due respect to those who think we've improved i would suggest you take off your claret & blue tinted classes. We still have the problem of no creativity in midfield and no amount of guts and passion is going to make up for that.

Lambert has spent, what, 17m, and still we don't have a number ten to connect midfield to our forward line. He spent 7m on Benteke and to be frank that money has again been wasted when we could have got Berbatov for 5m.

Our defence hasn't really improved either and i am very concerned for the season ahead.

I think you support the wrong team TBH. All you ever do is post negativity. You'd be better off with City or Chelsea if you want to see world class players week in week out.

If you can't see the improvement under Lambert then you're either blind, trolling or have never seen footy before.

We had something like 16 chances today. How is that not creative?

I've seen you react this way before when someone posts something you don't agree with. Not good. So rather than try and debate your insulting remarks, i'd prefer not to give you any respect in doing that.

Is that not a constructive argument?

Whilst our grit & determination has been admirable we do need a few wins pre-Xmas or we could get sucked into a dog fight

Having said that I expect us to be different class come the new year once the team has gelled

I see it that way aswell Coopers.

Bad starts don't mean the seasons has to be a write off, we were in the relegation zone at xmas in 03/04 and ended up 6th. There's also the infamous "2 points from 8 games " Spurs had when 'arry came in and they finished comfortably in the top 10 that season.

That said, I'd happily settle for 12th, 13th or 14th if it meant us winning the Carling Cup.

isn't every like for like result better ?

WBA - Last season home defeat

Swansea - Last season home defeat

Newcastle - Away Defeat

Everton (ok the argument falls a little here ) - Last season drawn

Southampton N/A

And if you consider Everton are a massively improved team - you can forgive that.

What we need is a result like Man City in the league

It takes the best part of a season for any defence to come together imo. We'll ship some goals this season, this is a completely new defence, none of them have played with each other prior to this season, next season and even later this season we'll become tighter as a defensive unit.