Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

The bad news is we could still be facing potato head next season but not sure in which division.

This relegation shit really drives you to Hull & back!

I'm quite looking forward to Hull as an away day! Hopefully they haven't choked that 2nd spot.

Really hate to report this, but using the BBC's Football Predictor, it's absolutely clear as that Villa could even beat Norwich 0-3 and still get relegated -- with 40 points, no less, as others have rightly pointed out. Things would really have to go against AV in lots of horrible ways, but the scenarios I punched in weren't outlandish.

I'm afraid there won't be any real comfort until you guys win two more games. 

'report' is a bit strong - I think we all know we could go down with 40 points - but only 3 teams in the last 10 years have. A Villa win or a wigan loss on saturday and in all probability we are safe.

Youve got to remember that teams at the bottom are there because they have difficulty winning games - I doubt any teams at the bottom will win all there remaining games. 

"Rehearse" would be better phrase, I agree. In any case, the scenarios I played on the Predictor didn't involve Reading or QPR doing anything other than drawing the rest of their matches. I guess what I was trying to illustrate is that it was surprisingly, scarily, frustratingly easy to create Predictor scenarios where AV goes down even with a Norwich win. I wasn't making up ridiculous results. The thing is, you can also obviously use the Predictor to make positive outcomes. What is this urge, anyway, to imagine painful outcomes? I guess it's a kind of defense mechanism. If I can "imagine" AV relegated in a tragically unfair way on the Predictor, I feel weirdly inoculated against the actual possibility of that happening. Can anyone relate to this kind of craziness lol?

Edited by Shifted To Neutral

Really hate to report this, but using the BBC's Football Predictor, it's absolutely clear as that Villa could even beat Norwich 0-3 and still get relegated -- with 40 points, no less, as others have rightly pointed out. Things would really have to go against AV in lots of horrible ways, but the scenarios I punched in weren't outlandish.

I'm afraid there won't be any real comfort until you guys win two more games. 

'report' is a bit strong - I think we all know we could go down with 40 points - but only 3 teams in the last 10 years have. A Villa win or a wigan loss on saturday and in all probability we are safe.

Youve got to remember that teams at the bottom are there because they have difficulty winning games - I doubt any teams at the bottom will win all there remaining games. 

"Rehearse" would be better phrase, I agree. In any case, the scenarios I played on the Predictor didn't involve Reading or QPR doing anything other than drawing the rest of their matches. I guess what I was trying to illustrate is that it was surprisingly, scarily, frustratingly easy to create Predictor scenarios where AV goes down even with a Norwich win. I wasn't making up ridiculous results. The thing is, you can also obviously use the Predictor to make positive outcomes. What is this urge, anyway, to imagine painful outcomes? I guess it's a kind of defense mechanism. If I can "imagine" AV relegated in a tragically unfair way on the Predictor, I feel weirdly inoculated against the actual possibility of that happening. Can anyone relate to this kind of craziness lol?

Problem is, as you claim & I believe you, you wasn't making up ridiculous results. You can now guarantee that that is exactly what those results will be.........Totally Ridiculous.

Also, not so long back I seem to remember Joe Royle winning the last 3 fixtures of the season to keep bloody Oldham in the Premier League & they were matches against Man Utd, Liverpool (When they were great) & Arsenal IIRC.

Scary.....................

wigan's issue is that they have five games in very quick succession, and they really can't afford to settle for a draw in any of them. two of those games are against arsenal away and man city at wembley - both of which they will be massive underdogs, but neither of which they can afford to treat as games they will concede...

its going to be relentless for a very small squad and i'm just not sure that roberto martinez will be able to coax the required effort out of very tired legs over and over again...

a win against norwich this weekend will be a huge result for us, and its certainly a game that we should go into with confidence. i am however nervous that this will be a flat performance like fulham was after the huge effort against stoke and good feeling after pulling ahead at the end to beat stoke.... for us to take the next step, we need to show that we can string together results, and win the ones that are slightly less 'do or die'....

We're going to win the rest of our games. I'm serious!

I think we're capable of winning every game, and we're also capable of losing them all. It's been that sort of season.

• Like 4

Good point! Strange anomaly in the bookmakers odds there.

Norwich 7/5 Villa 15/8

Villa 15/4 Chelsea 8/11

Thing is there is massive money every game bet on Chelsea Arsenal United City & most surprisingly Liverpool, that pushes the odds of these teams down and they are often under priced. What ever way you look at it Norwich have only lost 3 times at home all season so the fact we are 15/8 represents how good a chance we have particularly when we were 7/2 to beat them there in the League Cup this year.

Edited by Folski

The way I see things is that if we don't win this game it will go to the last game of the season!

That's likely but as we don't know what Wigan will do in their next 3 league matches (influence of FA cup final?), how Chel$ki will perform at Villa Park (influence of Europa League final?), let alone how we will perform in our final home game, it is far from certain!

Swansea are the team that worry me. Since winning our cup they have been building sand castles for fun. Not sure how they view Martinez as he is the one who is credited with creating their current pass & move philosophy & set the foundations.

Smell a rat here!

they were fuming when he left so hoping they still have some hatred

Starting to get little nervous .. When I realize that a Wigan win + Villa lose make them just 2 points far from us ! With one game ahead ! 

Come Villa ! Let's do our job an win at the Carrew Road !

Michael Turner is out... yay!

I think Bassong is too

Last I saw Turner is very doubtful and Bassong was taking off with what they think might have been a precaution. I'd wager that Bassong will play but Turner won't.