Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

Anyone got the table with 5 games to go last season. Were the club in a worse position?

At this point last season we where in 15th place (in a halting table) with 35 points in 33 games and gd of -13

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/matchday/league-table.html?season=2011-2012&month=APRIL&timelineView=date&toDate=1334530799999&tableView=CURRENT_STANDINGS

Was this merged with the Barry Bannan thread?

Back on topic, if you want some perspective go check in on the forums for other teams deep in the sheeeet.  Here's a bit of a summary.

Wigan (it was hard finding an active message board): Probably can't do it again this year as they don't have anyone that can pull some magic out of nowhere.  CNZ mentioned as someone who used to.  They think they're down.

Stoke: Down and happy that it'll be the end of Pulis who they know has made them the most hated team in the prem.

Sunderland: Obviously riding high after today (one post was talking about a top half finish) but assuming they're all wasted from today's exploits, previous posts have been a lot more somber.  The two remaining sober mackems in the city are basically saying they're still in it with a lot to do.

Norwich - surprisingly nonchalant about dropping, basically a 50/50 split between the ones who are bricking it and the ones who think they'll be fine.

Newcastle - the odd outbreak of panic (again, probably more beer talking) but generally pretty calm.

So basically Wigan and Stoke think they are gone, us and Sunderland think we have a lot to do, Newcastle and (baffling as it is) Norwich think they are in the clear.  I'd say the barcodes will be fine, the rest is a lottery at this point.  There'll be a lot more shuffling at the bottom before the end of the season.

Side note - there was a fan on the Sunderland board that put seven quid on Sunderland 3-0 and Johnson to score at 85-1 after dreaming about it all week.  He hasn't been seen on any post-match threads.  Probably pickled in a ditch somewhere.

Nice one for taking the time out to visit the other clubs forums.

I'd agree with pretty much the analysis of the forums... I think Sunderland are safe, I think Newcastle are safe and I think Norwich are safe (I only think Norwich are safe because they have the easiest run in any club could have ever of wished... I think 1 top team and other than that all winnable games for them).

Stoke are deep in the mire... they have a relatively easy run in but just can't buy a performance to get them out of the shit at the moment.

Wigan are my favorites to go down... people are only saying they won't go because of their experience but they are still a pretty dire team if truth be told. And you know how to get rid of the one that just won't flush? After a few attempts of flushing, just put tissue paper on it and pull. I believe they have tissue paper all over them at the moment.

My position isn't complicated, it's based on fact.

1. Best in PL at corners and crosses. Not 5th or 3rd ... 1st. Out of all the other great players in the PL.

http://www.bettingexpert.com/blog/premier-league-mid-season-statistics-report-2012-2013

http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/24

2. Second highest chance creator in the team, and has pass accuracy of 82% - decent, considering he goes for the key passes.

http://www.squawka.com/players/barry-bannan

My opinion about Bannan is based on these stats, plus the ones I've worked out myself, like:

3. Villa win more points with Bannan than with any other player. He is our most influential player this season.

If Bannan was 4th highest chance creator, 3rd best crosser in the league you'd have a point... not necessarily exception. But Bannan is 1st... I'm not going to underestimate the talent required to be FIRST at anything in the PL.

No other Villa player is FIRST at anything in the PL.

We've got to use this player.

Where are the assists then Con? Why has he only got one assist? If he is the best, why the lack of solid numbers?

I guess it's natural for one to view other clubs in a more positive (from their point of view) light than your own. I'm guilty of the same thing sometimes. Even though we're in far better form than Stoke I still see us going down as more likely.

Villali0n, why do you think Sunderland are safe?

I put on £100 on Sunderland to go down about 10 weeks ago at 10/1 with the view of laying it off to make a bit of cash. I've been looking at them incredibly closely during that period. Whilst MON was still there they were a known entity and you knew what you were going to get. When a team gets rid of their manager it is either going to destroy the dressing room or it is going to galvanise them.

The one thing which was very apparent when looking at the Sunderland forums was the fans appeared to think the morale of the team was gone and they weren't up for the fight. I found this really weird because MON's only real asset was jeeing up a team. However, you could tell from when they played Chelsea last week, and certainly today they have been united by Di Canio.

I feel that whilst Di Canio probably isn't the long term solution for Sunderland it is certainly having the required short term affect that it needed to get them out of this mess. I think they will be safe and I think they will probably defeat us in a few weeks... which is why I laid off my bet after the Chelsea game (and made £120).

For the record, even though I think we will lose to Sunderland, I think we will be safe at the end of the season at Wigan's expense.

I hope you are right. Would love to see Wigan go down because of that horror tackle on Haidara and because they are a minor club who only play for a third of a season. As others have said already, the new coventry - but even smaller.

I'm pretty sure we won't get anything from Old Trafford.

I am also now worried that a fired up Sunderland will come to Villa park and do to us what they did to Newcastle. 

If we lose two in a row we will be under massive pressure. 

I guess it's natural for one to view other clubs in a more positive (from their point of view) light than your own. I'm guilty of the same thing sometimes. Even though we're in far better form than Stoke I still see us going down as more likely.

That's exactly the point I was making in a round about way. Looking at the combined negativity of the fans you'd think five teams were getting relegated this year.

Keep the faith lads, lots left to play for and we're in with a good shout.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure we won't get anything from Old Trafford.

I am also now worried that a fired up Sunderland will come to Villa park and do to us what they did to Newcastle. 

If we lose two in a row we will be under massive pressure. 

I'm worried about that game (I've been worried about it for ages) but to be fair we did manage to beat QPR at VP after they'd just won two in a row. I know Sunderland are a different kettle of fish to QPR but for whatever reason we've been quite good against our relegation rivals recently.

Edited by Mantis

I can't see Stoke continuing to be as poor as they have been for the last few months right to the end of the season.

This time yesterday and prior to that everyone was talking about how Sunderland had no hope as they were on an awful run and were missing Fletcher.

I fear Stoke getting a win very soon and then who will we be talking about as the team with no hope? It would come down to most likely being out of us and that team that have been there several times before who we have to face away on the last day, Dave Whelan's lovechildren.

I am quite worried.  We just don't seem to be getting the breaks.  10 points in 5 games, but we're not seeming to pull away.  I think Sunderland will pull away and with Wigan having a 100 games in hand I think they'll be ok.  They recently had two games in hand on us and won both.  

I think we need to look at gazumping Norwich or Stoke now.

Our fixtures are probably the worst down there too.  Man Utd, Chelsea and 3 of teams that we are battling with for survival.

• Like 1

Just wondering those who thought a point would be enough against Fulham with Sunderland earmarked as three points are still as confident after today?

I previously stated that it was more than a touch arrogant to suggest that.

Good for you, but not many were saying Sunderland would be a definite win.

Please learn to read Mantis and respond to what is actually stated in my post rather what you would like it to be. I didn't say there were many.

Just wondering those who thought a point would be enough against Fulham with Sunderland earmarked as three points are still as confident after today?

Why point score against fellow Villa fans?

At a time when our Premier League status could go either way, there's a chance many of the predictions on this thread could be correct. I hope we stay up and this thread doesn't become full of posters slating others for lacking faith. Conversely, if we go down, I hope it's not full of posters enjoying a 'told you so' attitude. It won't serve anyone well.

Either way, our club will be there for us all to support next season.

Not actually trying to point score at all. I see two of the biggest culprits of that have liked your post.

What i'm getting at, there is still a certain amount of arrogance within posters who seemed to think just because Sunderland were on a bad run up until today it would follow that one point would be enough against Fulham as we would pick up all three  against Sunderland.

These posters forget that there's a reason why we have struggled all season around the bottom three of the table and consequently that arrogance is unfounded.  

Good for you, but not many were saying Sunderland would be a definite win.

Please learn to read Mantis and respond to what is actually stated in my post rather what you would like it to be. I didn't say there were many.

I can read just fine thanks. Please learn to stop picking over semantics.