Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

It doesn't matter what I think of houllier and Mcleish. If it helps though I completely agree, I didn't want either of them at villa and I believe Lambert should be given time and will do well here.

The whole point you're missing is that you choosing to not back houllier or Mcleish is exactly the same as anyone choosing to not back lambert now which you're jumping on people for.

BJ is spot on here. I like him wasn't keen on Houllier or McLeish when they were appointed and certainly after a dozen or so games was convinced they were not the right people to take the club forward and so it proved.

I still think Lambert will do well with us given time but I can fully understand others thinking completely the opposite especially given the terrible start we have made and I have no problem with people expressing those views. Why would I when I did exactly the same with the previous two managers. I always hoped I would be proved wrong on Houllier and McLeish and I am sure those that are becoming opposed to Lambert hope they are proven wrong. Time will tell.

It doesn't matter what I think of houllier and Mcleish. If it helps though I completely agree, I didn't want either of them at villa and I believe Lambert should be given time and will do well here.

The whole point you're missing is that you choosing to not back houllier or Mcleish is exactly the same as anyone choosing to not back lambert now which you're jumping on people for.

I agree with you but It has just been the whole situation of panic that is just overwhelming considering we all know what task PL has on his hands.

I am not jumping on people for the matter of not backing someone from the off solely or having an opinion but more of the stick he has came in for after 9 only games.

It leads me to ask the question of the '10%' that may not have wanted Lambert here as manager that this debate has developed from as to whom you would have expected we should have got as manager instead?

Were talking of who would realistically have come to Villa Park given the current situation and task on there hands whom would be good enough to rebuild the team and take this club forward and not just a stop gap appointment.

BJ is spot on here. I like him wasn't keen on Houllier or McLeish when they were appointed and certainly after a dozen or so games was convinced they were not the right people to take the club forward and so it proved.

I still think Lambert will do well with us given time but I can fully understand others thinking completely the opposite especially given the terrible start we have made and I have no problem with people expressing those views. Why would I when I did exactly the same with the previous two managers. I always hoped I would be proved wrong on Houllier and McLeish and I am sure those that are becoming opposed to Lambert hope they are proven wrong. Time will tell.

houllier without the health probs might have had a decent second season, at least i'm pretty sure he'd have done better than AM, I wasn't massively against him, even though he would offer far less in the long term than even a mildly successfull stint by PL.

AM i was prepared to give time to once he was appointed and swam against the tide a bit in that respect. once he'd totally destroyed my will to live and proved that he wasn't even going ot be able to sort the defence out let alone turn us into a decent team i was amongst the vast majority that wanted him out. i thought it was ridiculous callin gfor him to go after 8 or 9 games though, and was against sacking him at xmas before the jan window too.

in my view it's even more ridiculous even contemplating sacking PL, albeit we've had a horrible start to the league campaign in terms of results, i've already seen more plus points in the game so far as i did in a full season of AM. he will turn the tide in terms of results sooner rather than later. i'd back us to pull off a shock result or two in the tough run we have coming up and hopefully pick up the confidence to go from there and be safe from relegation with quite a few games to go.

The disappointment initially has been the lack of impact Lambert has had. Compared to when MON joined and inherited DOL's shite, he had an instant impact in terms of man management, organisation and work ethic and a great game plan in terms of getting results.

• Like 1

The disappointment initially has been the lack of impact Lambert has had. Compared to when MON joined and inherited DOL's shite, he had an instant impact in terms of man management, organisation and work ethic and a great game plan in terms of getting results.

Good post CI and i wholly agree. There really hasn't been any balance to the side since Lambert arrived. I do not see a team pattern forming whereby it would instill any confidence in me that Lambert is on the right track and alienating our best striker hasn't helped either. He still doesn't know which is our best team yet and hasn't clued into the fact that to get Bent scoring again he needs the right service.

I would hope however that Lambert will address the gaping hole through our midfield and in wide positions come January with quality signings. It will be difficult however to attract that quality unless we are prepared to pay the wages as neither Lambert or our club is a big enough draw anymore. Instead of purchasing who he did before the season started we should have purchased the quality we will now need in January and it will cost.

I'm hoping he's picked up on the last 2 games that we need balls in from the flanks to get goals. This narrow diamond formation has to be ditched.

Funnily enough all the goals in the last two games have come from wing positions. Benteke's goal vs Norwich was holman's cross. Benteke's 1st against Swindon. Through ball down the wing for Ireland - crossed it in - goal. Gabby's goal was another fast pace move, this time through the centre, but it was passed out WIDE to gabby who cut in and scored. The final goal again was a through ball by Lichaj to someone to cross it in for Benteke.

So I agree - I have been harping on about whipping balls in for Bent/Benteke and we'll get goals. Simple.

We have some problems, and one of them seem to be that we cannot phatom which position many of our players are best in!

I also want some width, we have to play to our current players' strengths and not trying to mould mediocre players into something they are not. Man U can develop players and playing patterns, but those players are so much better and adaptable compared to ours and the game is totally. We have players like Ireland and N'Zogbia who seem to be totally out of it under Lambert, and we know that somewhere lies a good player in them.

To me Lambert is the man most likley to take us forward, given the current level of backing he gets. However I do think he totally misjudged the quality of our squad - he may some statements early on, which gave cause for concern - and he may be reconsidering these now:-

Ireland and Nzogbia - will be our most creative players. - Well the Zog rarley starts these days - and Ireland is at best inconsistent

Vlaar and Clark - Will be our CB partnership. - Clark hasn't progressed at all since he first broke into the team - he also spends a good whack of time out injured - recent links to centre backs hints that lambo is having a rethink - in the short term I would welcome Dunne back with open arms

Bent as captain - always a highly dubious decision - although I rate him as a goalscorer he spends large chunks of matches where he isn't involved - not ideal for captain. The realization and stripping him of the captaincy was an unnecessary own goal - he looks unlikely to be with us past Jan IMO.

I really fear for us this season.

I see what you're saying but it could be the other way around maybe. Bent playing off Benteke. Get the ball into Benteke from wide areas with Bent pouncing on the loose balls and/or dragging defenders away.

I see what you're saying but it could be the other way around maybe. Bent playing off Benteke. Get the ball into Benteke from wide areas with Bent pouncing on the loose balls and/or dragging defenders away.

That's what I meant. Benteke being the one just behind Bent.

Guzan

Lowton Vlaar Dunne Bennett

Albrighton Westwood Bannan Agbonlahor

Bent

Benteke

That's the team i would currently be picking, and i think it looks better than Wigan's, Reading's Norwich's and Southampton's. Arguably on par with Sunderland's and West Ham's

I am not stating this as fact; this is my opinion.

So i believe that if we stop this rot and get back on track before january, the second half of the season should be much more positive. i have concerns about relegation but we have JUST enough quality to get out of it, if we add a little more we can easily avoid the drop.

Serious question, am i deluded?