Speculation: Jermain Defoe (Tottenham Hotspur)

bickster

Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert has admitted being an admirer of Tottenham striker Jermain Defoe ... as he looks to further strengthen his squad.

But Lambert says it is a case of "wait and see" in terms of whether either will be heading to Villa Park.

Villa have been linked strongly with Defoe, who netted England's winner against Italy in Berne on Wednesday, ....

When asked if interested in the pair, Lambert said: "You are talking about two really good players, different types of players there.

"I think a club this size will always be linked with players of that ilk.

"I don't think you ever stop looking for players. You have always got to try and improve.

"Whether they come in or not, we will have to wait and see but any manager will tell you, you are always going to look for players."

clicky

Been banging on about Jermain Defoe for years, ideally we would have signed him 2-3 years ago. Even now though he'd very much improve the squad we have, people talking about Bent, Gabby, Weimann and Delfouneso being a decent prem strikeforce to have are kidding themselves. If Bent gets injured not one of those strikers is capable of getting into double figures even if they played the whole season.

He has never been North of the M25. Cant see this happening

He's desperate for regular first team football. Absolutely no way he's going to stay on the bench for another year at Spurs, he's said as much himself. All we have to do is pretty much match his current wages.

Would love to see Defoe in our shirt but does he really fit into Lambert's vision of the future of our club?

There might very well be a younger version of Defoe available in Jordan Rhodes and wouldn't be surprised at all if Rhodes ends up at Villa Park on deadline day, or before.

All the same though, a quartet of Bent, Defoe, Gabby and Weimann would fill me with a lot more confidence going into the season.

Been banging on about Jermain Defoe for years, ideally we would have signed him 2-3 years ago. Even now though he'd very much improve the squad we have, people talking about Bent, Gabby, Weimann and Delfouneso being a decent prem strikeforce to have are kidding themselves. If Bent gets injured not one of those strikers is capable of getting into double figures even if they played the whole season.

Gabby has already proven he can get double figures and I'd have faith that weimann would if he played the whole season.