Speculation: Jermain Defoe (Tottenham Hotspur)

bickster

I really don't see this happening.

Defoe currently is the ONLY senior striker at Spurs so even if they sign another two strikers this window, you still need at least three strikers on your books for 6 months in case of injuries.

If Spurs sign a million strikers in the next few weeks, then I can see Fulham or QPR being interested in him so he'll probably prefer to stay in London.

As others have said I really don't see him and Bent working at all, too similar although Defoe does drop deeper and shots from outside the box.

Like Bent, the time to sign him was under MON as either of those were the missing piece to the top 4 I think.

Been banging on about Jermain Defoe for years, ideally we would have signed him 2-3 years ago. Even now though he'd very much improve the squad we have, people talking about Bent, Gabby, Weimann and Delfouneso being a decent prem strikeforce to have are kidding themselves. If Bent gets injured not one of those strikers is capable of getting into double figures even if they played the whole season.

Gabby has already proven he can get double figures and I'd have faith that weimann would if he played the whole season.

Gabby hasn't even got 10 goals in his last 2 seasons put together, he's a player on the decline in my opinion, confidence has been shot and now is the time to sell. Weimann I do think is promising, but could not be relied upon to net us 10 league goals or more just yet.

A few people have commented that Defoe is too old, he's the same age as Van Persie. Do people think when Man Utd were first considering bidding they thought 'nah better not he's too old'.

Gabby hasn't even got 10 goals in his last 2 seasons put together, he's a player on the decline in my opinion, confidence has been shot and now is the time to sell.

Gabby has hardly played up front in those two seasons either. Houllier played him in a bizarre defensive winger position and even McCleish reverted him to that position after a promising start to the season up front.

Confidence shot? Maybe but I'd wager he'd soon get it back if played up front

Gabby hasn't even got 10 goals in his last 2 seasons put together, he's a player on the decline in my opinion, confidence has been shot and now is the time to sell.

Gabby has hardly played up front in those two seasons either. Houllier played him in a bizarre defensive winger position and even McCleish reverted him to that position after a promising start to the season up front.

I hope I'm proved wrong on him but his main strength as we all know is his pace, which gets him into one-on-one situations with the keeper, and then he never looks capable of finishing.

Disagree about what you say about houllier playing gabby defensive....from recollection Hou said gabby had bulked up too much and that he should lose weight to regain his explosive pace.....gabby disagreed, yet when Hou left he lost weight and started the season brighter....

Defoe is the only forward Spuds have and hence he is not signing for us.

Can't believe more hasn't been made of this. Ignoring whether he'd want to come, whether we're interested, how much it'd cost etc.... Unless you count Van Der Vaart as a striker or Harry Kane as a first teamer, Defoe is their only striker. Would we sell Bent if our only back-ups were N'Zogbia and Delfouneso?