Electronic Cigarettes

AVFCDAN

So are E-Cig sellers not bothered about us swearing then?

ThinkOfTheChildren.jpg

...wait

Been vaping since September, not touched a cig since.... Back in September I played in a Jody craddocks charity match when still on the cigs I lasted 5 mins before getting out of breath and giving up.....now since vaping I'm playing footy 3 times a week and not getting tired and saved alot of £££ I'm weaning myself off the vaping now ...I'm all for them

Probably not the place for this but I think people think it is hard to give up smoking because they are told it is hard to do so when in reality it isn't. I personally think these e-cigs are just prolonging the problem. My brother-in-law uses them but smokes as well so it's just an excuse to be able to smoke in public places.

I did 12+ years of smoking and then decided on one day (New Years day I went to away game 4-4 against Chelsea a couple of years ago) that I didn't need it and that was that.

Call me naive but I would guess "most" people would use electronic cigs to help on the way to stop smoking. So therefore the problem I would of thought would be nicotine addiction. Sorry I didn't make it more clear.

Good for you, but not the people around you who don't wish to partake. I'm actually ashamed that I smoked in public and made other people walk through my smoke or smell it. I think in town centres they might as well provide walls to urinate up along with the designated smoking areas as both are as disgusting as each other.

When I was in college, I used E Cigs like most people would use coffee, to give themselves a boost. And that's exactly what it did for me, a stress reliever and a boost without all the extra cancer causing chemicals that they add to tobacco.

Edited by AVFCforever1991

There is something rather sinister about e-cigarettes but I can't quite put my finger on it.

I suppose this if for another debate, but as much as the government harp on about smokers, I bet the thought of all those millions lost in tax gives them nightmares.

Right up until they realise how much money it'll save from the NHS budget.

I might be wrong as I think this is just one of those "things you hear" so I have no evidence to base it on.

But I'm sure I've heard that smokers contribute significantly more per year in tax than they cost the NHS (at least directly).

There is something rather sinister about e-cigarettes but I can't quite put my finger on it.

I suppose this if for another debate, but as much as the government harp on about smokers, I bet the thought of all those millions lost in tax gives them nightmares.

Right up until they realise how much money it'll save from the NHS budget.

I might be wrong as I think this is just one of those "things you hear" so I have no evidence to base it on.

But I'm sure I've heard that smokers contribute significantly more per year in tax than they cost the NHS (at least directly).

Yes and No.

To the cost of smoking related diseases on the NHS you are correct, the tax far outweighs the cost, but on society in general then no, the cost to provide fire services, cleaning services and many other items, then not so much, could go either way.

• Like 1

Call me naive but I would guess "most" people would use electronic cigs to help on the way to stop smoking. So therefore the problem I would of thought would be nicotine addiction. Sorry I didn't make it more clear.

Not sue that's quite correct, unless you've got evidence for that?

It may well be correct, but in may small circle of people who use these devices, they use them so they can smoke in pubs/bars etc. They use them because they are less anti social than striking up a real life smoke cigarette. They use them becuase they are less harmful (slightly) to themselves, and particularly others around them. 

I've no problem whatsoever with someone 'smoking' (inhaling) an e-cig right next to me. It's the more socially acceptable way of smoking.

Wales are moving to ban them, along with others things 'we really shouldn't be doing'. Great. Part of the greater move to ban pretty much everything not deemed socially acceptable (by whom?) or 'good for you'.

• Like 1

These were brilliant for helping my girlfriend quit smoking. She's now not touched a cigarette in over a year, but uses the electronic cigarettes quite alot.

She then converted further from the electronic cigarettes to those ones with no nicotine in.

But she's now got to stop those too, something in them irritates the throat if used too much, so she was having trouble eating and swallowing.

Hopefully now there's not the nicotine, just the habit, they won't be too hard to kick.

Edited by Qwpzxjor1

Good for you, but not the people around you who don't wish to partake.

How are e-ciggies harmful to those around you? :huh:

I thought pretty much the 'entire' reason for the smoking ban was the harmful effect on others (passive smoking etc). That's not the case with e-cigs, so where's the problem?

Good for you, but not the people around you who don't wish to partake.

How are e-ciggies harmful to those around you? :huh:

I thought pretty much the 'entire' reason for the smoking ban was the harmful effect on others (passive smoking etc). That's not the case with e-cigs, so where's the problem?

I wasn't talking about e-cigs at this point. My only point I have this far made about e-cigs is they are "generally" used as a way of stopping smoking and that I think they prolong the stopping process.

I will just repeat what I said in my original post, people have been brainwashed to think that stopping smoking is difficult when it really isn't. In the same way they have been brainwashed to think that smoking eases stress, it doesn't, the act of taking a deep breath provides the same, if anything smoking raises your heartbeat and produces more stress on the body. It amazes me that so many people (including myself at one point) have been caught up in a what is essentially the greatest ever marketing ploy.

I think addiction differs depending on the human and the substance. Some people can quite easily give up tobacco, while some can smoke it on a night out and then not smoke for another 2 months, whilst others struggle to give it up. There isn't a one size fits all with addiction. Every person reacts differently. 

No doubt nicotine is an addictive substance, like caffeine is addictive, how many people are addicted to caffeine? A lot.

Edited by AVFCforever1991
  • Like 1

Are they now calling for a ban on e-cigs in public places? and rightly so i think. I smoked for around 10 years but i just decided to stop because i was sick of it. I was sick of the cost, the effect on my health and the stench of it. Funny thing is though that when i smoked i used to say that i enjoyed it and it's only now that i've stopped that i can see what a vile and discusting habit it is.

I dont think these e-cigs are as safe as we think either. Probably safer than real cigs but still harmful.

• Like 1

When I look back, smoking effected anything from work to relationships, especially when my other half at the time wanted me to stop, I used to create arguments so I could go and smoke. It had total control on my life and then I had a conversation and somebody said "it's all in the mind and giving up smoking is easy", so I just stopped and 3 years on I couldn't think if anything worse.

I think people convince themselves that things are difficult. Somebody also told me 2 years ago when I started, that running 5K at parkrun was really hard and only "real" athletes can do it fast. I'm doing an ironman in a few months time and I expect to do a good time.

The only problem I have with people smoking ecigs, when a bloke has had a crafty one here at work, he makes our room smell like some **** cherry tinged pot pourri.

Edited by Seat68

Â